Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baking double portions

• 15-08-2006 10:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I have a recipe which I want to double up the portions on. I assume I just double up all ingredients, but what about cooking time? Double it, leave it as is, or add a random number of minutes based on how good/bad my kitchen smells? Would I be better off cooking it once with everything intact so that I can judge the look, texture of the finished article, then use that as a reference for the double-up? Or is that mental?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What are you planning on baking?
    Can't say what the cooking time should be unless you tell us what you're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I fail to see your reasoning. What difference does it make what I'm cooking? The time given in the book is 30 mins, but that's for half the portions I plan on using. So would it be 30 mins, a hour, or some reasonable split the difference of the two?

The increase in cooking time is different depending on what you are cooking.
    Doubling the amount of dough to bake bread would have a different increased cooking time to - say - a doubled up casserole or joint of pork.

Do you see my reasoning now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

And what are you cooking it in? That makes a difference too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

And what are you cooking it in? That makes a difference too.
    An oven! hahahahahahaha. wooh! I'm here all week, folks. Try the veal.

Anyway, I'm trying to cook flapjacks. The recipe calls for 30 mins cooking time to make 12-14. I want to make 24-28.

I guess there's no hard and fast rule for how much time to add, so it would be difficult for you guys to even estimate based on what I've given you. I suspect the only answer is trial and error.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

my personal guess would be that the cooking time shoudl be around the same time, I mean flapjacks are pretty flat and the oven would still be producing the same amount of heat to the extra ones too.

I would recommend using the same 30 minutes as before, if you have a fan assisted oven it should make even less difference.

if they aren't completely done, then just add time in five minute increments after that

at least that way you will be able to find out how much time to use in future

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Flapjacks should be ok to just double up on, normally baking has a bit of kitchen chemistry involved so it's not always a simple case of doubling up on ingredients and times, but in this case I'd just double the ingredients but the time should stay the same, I mean you'll only get one batch in the oven at a time anyway.
    Flapjacks dont really have any science aspect to them like pastries and breads would.

corblimey wrote:
    I'm trying
    Very trying. :rolleyes:

/puts head in oven

Advertisement