Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbo loading

Options
  • 15-08-2006 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Ok...Advice needed!!

I am doing the Marathon in October (my first) and want some advice on how to Carbo Load. I have been doing a lot of reading on the subject, and I am getting several, cometimes conflicting views. I am doing the Frank Duffy 10 this weekend, and want to use it as a trial run on the carbo loading aswell.

Any help or links to good websites appreciated.

Domer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Quick background. Your muscles burn something called glycogen as fuel when you are running. Glycogen is a form of glucose that is broken down from carbohydrates.

Simplistically then you need to carb load before a marathon to ensure that you have teh carbs on board for your body to convert them to glycogen so the fuel is there ready for use.

So how is it done?

Well there is a limit on how much glycogen can be stored so there is no point loading weeks ahead of time. Most start carb loading 3 days in advance and concentrate on high carb foods such as pasta and rice for thier meals for the 3 days leading up to the race. You should also be resting during this time (to prevent burning the glycogen off, this is the taper). I always use a specific carb loading drink as well - most sports shops sell them. Basically eat and drink till you feel you'll burst and you'll be fine!

You may be getting conflicting advice because of teh so called "Saltin" method. This was teh origin of carb loading and dictated that you should deplete your stores of glycogen 1st. This is no longer considered neccesery.

Lastly there is no point carb loading for a 10 miler. Your body has enough glycogen to last well beyond 10 miles and while it's smart to have a good carb based meal the night before your main issue will be hydration. Don't forget that even with carb loading you will run out of glycogen at 20 miles (or thereabouts) anyway so you need to think about refuelling during the marathon and maybe you should be practising that rather than loading?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Thats just the advice I was looking for...thanks!!

Domer

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

you should practise the loading as well, even if it isn't going to help you much on the 10 miler you are practising it to find out does it suit you. You may find that you will feel ill if you change your diet and do loads of carbs..

Fair point - I suppose what I was trying to say is that there is no need to carb load for a short race but all of your long runs and prep races should be dry runs of the day as much as possible. That is the night before you should eat whatever you'll eat the night before the marathon, wear the same gear you will on the day, drink the same drinks, use the same gels, etc.

Is it Dublin you are looking at btw?

Yes...it is Dublin. What better place to run ones first Marathon!!!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Fair point - I suppose what I was trying to say is that there is no need to carb load for a short race but all of your long runs and prep races should be dry runs of the day as much as possible. That is the night before you should eat whatever you'll eat the night before the marathon, wear the same gear you will on the day, drink the same drinks, use the same gels, etc.

Is it Dublin you are looking at btw?

agreed, good chance to practise carbo loading before the 10 mile and half marathon though.

note that if you are already eating a carb rich diet and then taper over the last few weeks you are loading anyway without doing anything different, don't go nuts cramming carbs itnn

It was my first as well - last year, but have run Paris since and will be doing Longford next week before another assault on Dublin in Oct!

Good marathon, decent support and a course thats not a killer. What time are you looking for?

Would love to break 3:30. Ran the half last year in 1:36, and hope to run it a bit faster this year. Using the formula 2*(half marathon time)+ 15 mins brings me in under my target. Looks easy on paper!!

Good luck next week in Longford.

Domer

Advertisement