Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Sauce with Salmon?

• 15-08-2006 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

I am gradually becoming a vegetarian, having almost comletely cut out all meats except fish. Tonight my ingredients are as follows: Salmon, Carrots, Onions, Mushrooms and rice. I'm gonna go for a stir fry.. Any suggestions on a suitable sauce with this?

Also, in general a list of some sauces that go with fish; cod, whiting, haddock etc.. would be very helpful.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

If you're doing a stir fry then try some soy, spring onions mixed with a bit of grated ginger over the salmon.

There are lots of other sauces to go with fish, hollandaise can work well with most of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Blub2k4 wrote:
    If you're doing a stir fry then try some soy, spring onions mixed with a bit of grated ginger over the salmon.
    And garlic - Don't forget the garlic! ;)

Parsley sauce also goes well with white fish such as cod & haddock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭SteamTrean

This is making me hungry.

SteamTrean:

Here's a few mackerel recipes that I got on the net (as a result of having a freezer full of them at the moment).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I had salmon last night.
    I put it in a pan and added some white wine, let it cook gently until it was done.
    Took out the fish and added a lump of blue cheese and a dash of cream to the white wine. Voila.
    DEVINE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Hill Billy wrote:
    And garlic - Don't forget the garlic! ;)

Parsley sauce also goes well with white fish such as cod & haddock.

Don't agree keep the garlic with a salmon based stir fry (or in very small doses) the combo of spring onions, ginger and maybe a few chilli flakes rather than garlic would be good - Garlic I woudl be more inclined to use heavily with chicken or meat in such a stir fry

SteamTrean wrote:
    I am gradually becoming a vegetarian, having almost comletely cut out all meats except fish. Tonight my ingredients are as follows: Salmon, Carrots, Onions, Mushrooms and rice. I'm gonna go for a stir fry.. Any suggestions on a suitable sauce with this?

Also, in general a list of some sauces that go with fish; cod, whiting, haddock etc.. would be very helpful.

Cheers.

Parsley is always a good standby for any fisch, hollandaise I alwway find a pain to make and there aren't many good commercial hollandaise saces.

steaming fish is always a nice opton - Try this instead of a stir fry for an oriental flavour:

put silver foil over a cooling rack put a bit of butter or olive oil on top and prick it to allow steam to come through it. place your fish fillets on top of this and scatter over it chopped spring onions or scallions, grate on some giner though not too much and put maybe a cap or desert sppon of whitee wine or sherry or dry sherry on each fillet, sprinkle the whole lot with soy sauce. Place a piece of silver foil loosley over this and seal it down at the edges so you have a tent over the the fish.

Put more spring onions and ginger a glass of white wine or half glass of sherry and plenty of soy sause in a baking tin and place your steaming rack on top.

put it in a high oven for fifteen/20 minutes and serve some gently stir fried mangetout or such like and rice. Very healthy, very tasty., just sppon soom of the sauce from your baking ray over the fish when you serve. It works well with just about any fish - in particular the well bodied white fish like monkfish, but also with salmon

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I have a delicious recipe for a cream and butter sauce. It goes really well with fish and I add spinach to it, so that I can feel like it's vaguely healthy.

All you do is bring your cream to the point of boiling and then add a large amount of butter till it's thickened. Finally add your spinach, or any other veg that takes your fancy. It works well with tomatoes and red pepper too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

An extremely simple sauce for salmon, trout, that type of fish: Gently melt some butter (real butter) in a pan. Don't do this too hot or the butter will burn. Squeeze in lemon juice, or lime. Stir well and pour over. I personally love this.

I hate parsley with a vengence, and all the talk of parsley sauces above is turning my stomach. :D I just find it too strong and overpowering.

dudara wrote:

I hate parsley with a vengence, and all the talk of parsley sauces above is turning my stomach. :D I just find it too strong and overpowering.

depends how you make it (and i don't mean from a packet), always use real butter and plain flour for the roux, I chope the fresh parsley from the garden or kitchen pot very finely and add it to the roux before ading full milk and a bit of salt and pepper, keep stirring constantly on a low heat and when it starts to thicken and just before serving the juice of either half a lemon or lime gives it a bite which really adds something, a small amount of grated cheese melted in sometimes helps (about a teaspoon)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I never use packets, and I love bechamel and white sauces. I just can't stand parsley.

dudara wrote:
    I just can't stand parsley.

Maybe someone here can help... :p

dudara wrote:
    I never use packets, and I love bechamel and white sauces. I just can't stand parsley.

Well in that case .... I would just leave it out of your life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

With the ingredients you're suggesting I'd personally be more inclined to go eastern rather than European. A good teriyaki sauce would be nice as it goes really well with salmon.

Advertisement