Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

how long would it take to edit a basic 30 min show?

• 15-08-2006 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

folks,

am looking for a bit of advice (again...).

i'm planning to pilot a 30 min studio based discussion show (presenter + 2 guests) at the moment, and I'm just trying to figure out how much editing time we'd need. the show would be fairly basic - filmed with two cameras and done as close to 'as live' as we could get.

with around 40 mins footage on each camera plus a small amount of pre-editing insert footage (at most five minutes), how quickly do you think someone could turn around a show like this? the edits would be straightforward enough - just switching between the cameras for questions/answers. at the same time, I don't want it to be cobbled together. it has to look good.

any help would be greatly appreciated. feel free to pm me with any queries you might have.

yamo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Cant imagine it would be that hard. What editing tools will you be using? The only annoying bit I could imagine would be if there are alot of quick cuts back and forth between the people talking. Could be time consuming getting the cuts right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

If you sync the cameras, then it won't be that hard, are you doing the editing yourself? Or hiring a pro? I think about 2 days.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 5 finnoodles

i would say you should deffos get it done in a day, even if you are grading etc (which i presume you are not as its a pilot???) and you are getting an experienced editor it shouldn't really take longer than that.....if there are problems it may turn out to be a ten hour day but in editor-land, this is like having a half day!!!

F.

Don't know know where you're working, a day in my place for an editor is 8 hours.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Lump wrote:
    Don't know know where you're working, a day in my place for an editor is 8 hours.

John

that would be one of the benefits of working in a union-isd organisation. but from my experience if a job has to be finished, you stay and finish it.

• Advertisement

Oh yea, they stay and finish.... only if it's TX critical :) But they get paid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Lump wrote:
    Oh yea, they stay and finish.... only if it's TX critical :) But they get paid!
    Our editors get paid a pretty penny for staying on late...

A single day would be pushing it if you want to do a good job. Thirty minutes is long enough, i'd give it the two days and do your best to use all the time you have. I've always done my best editing when I have a clear deadline and set hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 finnoodles

yeah i guess all my stuff is TX critical, I've never worked less than 8 hours a day and i dont get paid extra for it!!
    And most of the people i know (that work outside of RTÉ) are the same. A friend just did 3 x 15 hour days in a row. :)

In the BBC they're "Normally" given 2 days to edit a five minutes piece, conform, grade, mix and playout.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sullverson

Hello all, first time caller, long time listener.

I was going to bite my lip but I had to join in. This idea that there's an unwritten rule where editors have to put in rediculous hours in order to get the job done drives me crazy. If time is being used effeciently, addequate time has been alloted for jobs and the post manager/production manager are doing their jobs properly there should be no need to do so many hours. If any of these things are not being done there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

The idea that you could edit a thirty min show, autoconform, grade etc in one day is possible if your experienced and willing to do way more than a normal working day.

This expectation of working crazy hours in post houses for nothing except for the owners to make money should really be confronted.

Sorry for the rant, that's just one of the few things that annoy me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭-DuMbGuM-

ok i use Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 to edit video. I reckon a day also.

i'd just import the pieces of video from each camera, conform, edit, add effects, then do titles + credit info etc and voila! time to export ;)

it would take and extra few hours for me to make a menu etc using Adobe Encore DVD
    if it was to be a dvd presentation or to be forwarded for sale.

taking all into consideration for a pro job you could be looking at 2 days

hope this was some help dude :)

You cannot edit a 30 minute piece in 2 days, you could try, but the end product would be rubbish and you'll kill yourself doing it.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Well I know a 30 minute show that's broadcast weekly in Ireland that is cut in a day and a half every week. But it's a lot simpler than a chatshow as there's a lot of inserts that are from other places and are just slotted it.

I suppose it depends really how experienced and how good your editor will be.

And the way it's shot. Multicam TV stuff will be edited as multicam in an avid. Only works if they're locked time code or a way of syncing the stuff up. Also insert edits etc will take up actual editing time. A lot of Multicam stuff is edited in 6-7 hours.

John

i dont know what way you do things but with 2 cameras doing a simple show like that i would find it simple to produce in two days as a top quality presentation, depending on how pro the intro etc would be, but to be honest i would always prefer some sort of 3D studio max workup for that for some proper animation

No offence, and I'm sure you are talanted, but editors I work with that have been editing professionally for 20+ years disagree with your projections. Saying that, try to make a "Top Quality" video in 2 days.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

-DuMbGuM- wrote:
    i dont know what way you do things but with 2 cameras doing a simple show like that i would find it simple to produce in two days

so how many multicam shows have you cut to date, that have been broadcasted? (youtube doesn't count)
    -DuMbGuM- wrote:
    as a top quality presentation, depending on how pro the intro etc would be, but to be honest i would always prefer some sort of 3D studio max workup for that for some proper animation

oooooooo-kay.... so we have a bedroom school kid editor, questioning how someone on the beeb would do a multicam edit... and suggesting he could do a better job...

this could be fun :rolleyes:

im just saying that i know it can be done fine in two days, think what you like of me im not bothered by it lol. btw lump no offence taken im sure those expereinced guys have differnent methods adding broadcast colors etc and im sure you and they are right but for what the guy said he wanted to achieve its a pretty uncomplicated piece of work and probably not as complex as the likes of the bbc "the show would be fairly basic"

I'm not offended, I just think you're misleading the Original Postr.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MsCutter

Take at least 2 days.. I've cut vision mixed shows down to time in 1 day, but if it's not recorded mixed you need to manually 'switch'. Then there's your inserts, graphics and titles. 2 comfortable days.

Any editor who consistantly works 10 hour plus days should reconsider, and if they're not freelance they should be. If you're a fast enough editor 8 hour days are possible. The occasional long stint is to be expected, but not all the time. Either your employees are exploiting you, or you're faffing about and not fast enough. It's nothing to boast about!

• Advertisement

Nicely put ;)

Advertisement