Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Intitution

Options
  • 15-08-2006 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

My boyfriend has told me that each night..well most nights that i come home from work Trilo my dog is downstairs waiting for me, about 10 mins before i actually get in the door. Now the time i get home at varies each night.
    But my sister said the exact same thing, that one night i was working and she kept running up and down the stairs and then about 5 mins before i got home she stayed downstairs.

Usually trilo stays upsatairs when i am not home and there are other people in the house, so it is really noticable when she comes downstairs.
    Anyone else have any wierd pet stoies like that.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Your dog is gorgeous....... I have read stories like yours and I have similar story to tell: My mother always knows when I am coming home as my dog looks over the road and wags her tail long before I arrive. She also knows all the cars from our house when they are coming and wags her tail, she never gives the neighbours a wag and our cars aren't backfiring :D just normal cars. Maybe she can hear my car coming from a long way off, dogs have good hearing. There is no logical answer in your case she just knows your coming home and thats it:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Apparently my 4 congregate at the sittingrroom door every evening at the same time just before I get home!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Our dog behaved as if he wore a wrist (paw) watch. He used to know within +/- a minute when it was time for everything to take place in his daily routine. Anything that happened that effected this and he would throw a tantrum. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

I've never owned a dog, but have found similar behaviour among all my other animals (particularly cats), and witnessed other people's dogs waiting for them with baited breath within the very minute they're due to arrive. So it would seem that most (if not all) animals possess this amazing attribute.

Although it'd be interesting to find out how much of it is actually intuition, and how much is just an incredibly accurate body clock. I know for a fact that this is the case with cats, their internal timing is second to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Amazing, my dogs, photographed here...

31.jpg

sense when I don't want them to sh*t. For instance, I am walking in the park and a group of cute girls walk towards me, immediately they will hump their backs and start producing the smelliest sh*ts imaginable sometimes accompanied by a boner!

I then have to pick up the sh*t in front of the cute girls while the dogs look on in delight.

lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

There was a study done some time ago into pets intuition about their owners returning home and it found some pets would react at the time the owner left work, so no connection with other senses (hearing the car, bus or other physical indicator of "time")

The only really clear signal I've (or rather my Mum!) known about from one of my dogs was when I was a teen and he knew when a certain bus went by the house, I would be home about 20 mins later = obvious connection there and nothing to do with intuition.

Now, I regularly catch my dog out by being inside the door before I hear him jump off my bed, so he either doesn't have it, is too sound asleep to hear my car, or couldn't care less :D

Advertisement