Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tax re children?

Options
  • 15-08-2006 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi - my brother has recently moved his family here from England. He works and his fiancee stays at home with their four children. Is my brother entitled to extra tax credits due to having 4 children. Surely it can't be right that he's not and that he also can't get extra tax credit as he is not married??

Anyone any info on this at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

No extra tax credits here in Ireland for children and also if brother not married there is no transfer of tax allowances between him and his partner allowed. Although he may be able to claim home carers tax allowance (not sure about this).Tax system here significantly different to UK, however child benefit better and if any of the chilcren are under 6 they will receive early childcare supplement (€1000/child/annum)
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/birth/benefits_and_entitlements_relating_to_birth/child_benefit.html

http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/it1.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

DOnt want to contradict you as i am not too up on this kinda thing but i do get tax credits for my son as a single parent and when partner was in the country if he had the boy two-three days per week as in joint custody (court ordered) he could also get tax credits.

he didnt see the boy at all so he couldnt!

they will be entitled to childrens allowance or child benefit too. they need to go to the local social welfare to apply for that and everyone gets it for each child under 16 regardless of if you are workin or not.

wasnt there new tax laws brought in recently about unmarried couples living together?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If one of the parents is living at home looking after the children then you can get tax credits for that. I forget the exact name but if you ask the revenue office they will tell you.

Also if the parent at home is entitled to work here you can take thier tax credits too onto yours (assuming your married).

your best best is to ring the Revenue commisioners.

Edit: As Thaedydal mentioned. What I said refers to being married. You can get a carers allowance if your married (least according to the Taxman I spoke to) and you had those tax credits over to your spouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes as a non cohabiting single parent you get a tax credit but as they are a couple living together they do not get any tax credits for thier children.
    And that is the current state of play that if he is not married to his partner they can not transfer the stay at home parents credits to the working partner.
    The stay at home parent is not entitles to the carers allowance unless they are looking after a disabled child.

There is a paper going through atm for civil unions that are not marraige to give rights to co habiting couples,
    until this happens a family where the parents are not married and one parent works and the other stays at home the income earner is taxed as a single person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭dubgirl

thanks for all the info - really doesn't seem fair at all:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

dubgirl wrote:
    Hi - my brother has recently moved his family here from England. He works and his fiancee stays at home with their four children. Is my brother entitled to extra tax credits due to having 4 children. Surely it can't be right that he's not and that he also can't get extra tax credit as he is not married??

Anyone any info on this at all?

fiancee: i would be getting the dog licence asap <on th QT if need be>and have the full gig in the church etc later.
    Your bro and his fiancee are very exposed as a cohabiting couple if anything happened.

AFAik the tax allowances are granted for the full year of the year of marriage

Advertisement