Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My conroe plan.....

Options
  • 15-08-2006 11:51am
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Ok, I was thinking of buying a S939 X2 3800 and another gig of ram in the next few weeks, but after seeing this anandtech article, I want to get a E6300 or a E6400 and overclock it...

I was thinking of selling some of my current parts

Dfi Lanparty Sli-d €100-€120
    Athlon 64 3700 with freezer 64 pro €100-€120
    1 gig Crucial Ballistix €80-€90

Then with whatever money I make I will add to it and buy:

Intel Core 2 duo E6300 or E6400
    Abit AB9-Pro (still unsure) also thinking of a gigabyte P965 DS3 or DS4
    OCZ gold PC 6400 2gig kit (still unsure)

What do you think? Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

conzymaher wrote:
    Ok, I was thinking of buying a S939 X2 3800 and another gig of ram in the next few weeks, but after seeing this anandtech article, I want to get a E6300 or a E6400 and overclock it...

I was thinking of selling some of my current parts

Dfi Lanparty Sli-d €100-€120
    Athlon 64 3700 with freezer 64 pro €100-€120
    1 gig Crucial Ballistix €80-€90

Then with whatever money I make I will add to it and buy:

Intel Core 2 duo E6300 or E6400
    Abit AB9-Pro (still unsure) also thinking of a gigabyte P965 DS3 or DS4
    OCZ gold PC 6400 2gig kit (still unsure)

What do you think? Any recommendations?
    I'd rec you stick to AMD, no Intel knee jerk buddy! or wait atleast until Christmas when the Core 2 mobo's kick in .....but its your choice!

nice article! intel must be paying a fortune to THG and anandtech to lure customers!! lol :D

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Bah, I will wait a couple of weeks, but not till Christmas...

And Core 2 Duo FTW:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

"Quad-core"

...quickly followed by "Ray Tracing"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

conzymaher wrote:
    Bah, I will wait a couple of weeks, but not till Christmas...

And Core 2 Duo FTW:D

Just wondering if anyone is holding out for Kentsfield due out the end of this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Pfft, why wait, buy the latest kit now. then in 3 months buy it alll over again. vicious circle really isnt it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

i'd wait until some more motherboards come out before investing as it is there is not a whole lot of choice if you plan on overclocking. Also i think your estimates regarding how much you'll get for your cpu are a bit off seeing as there is a 4000 going on adverts at the moment for less than €100 and an opteron 146 went for €85 a few weeks ago

Though if you do go ahead now, i've heard good things about the gskill 2gb ram kits.

Maybe I will hold out a bit longer, The urge to upgrade when something good and affordable comes on the market is hard to resist:D

@savemejebus, Those CPUs in the FS section cant do 3ghz on air cooling:p plus I would be throwing in a Freezer 64 pro to sweeten the deal, I think ~€110 is a fair price.......

the opterons can , and i'd imagine the 4000s can give it a pretty good go too.

I'm not trying to be a downer (and i hope you get the price) but its a buyers market since last month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

i'd wait until some more motherboards come out before investing as it is there is not a whole lot of choice if you plan on overclocking. Also i think your estimates regarding how much you'll get for your cpu are a bit off seeing as there is a 4000 going on adverts at the moment for less than €100 and an opteron 146 went for €85 a few weeks ago

Though if you do go ahead now, i've heard good things about the gskill 2gb ram kits.

I think your getting me and the Op confused mate. as hes plans on using ocz for some bizare reason. and i have the gskill.

anti wrote:
    I think your getting me and the Op confused mate. as hes plans on using ocz for some bizare reason. and i have the gskill.

I said I was unsure of which ram to get, The reason I said OCZ was because its the cheapest on Komplett and I have a phobia of OcUk sice my last order:D

I will probably end up buying from OcUk anyway :(
    the opterons can , and i'd imagine the 4000s can give it a pretty good go too.

I'm not trying to be a downer (and i hope you get the price) but its a buyers market since last month.

No they cant, only some reach speeds of 3ghz most opterons require Watercooling for those speeds...

Anyway thanks for the support :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

One ffor sale on Adverts.ie already guys!"! :-)

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=5217

€750 yoyos

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Drapper wrote:
    I'd rec you stick to AMD, no Intel knee jerk buddy! or wait atleast until Christmas when the Core 2 mobo's kick in .....but its your choice!

nice article! intel must be paying a fortune to THG and anandtech to lure customers!! lol :D

Jesus..

no probs was just basing it on my experience, my opty runs 3ghz stable on air with my freezer 64 pro and 1.55v with load temps of 47 (reported in mbm)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

Conzymaher

As I told you we should wait till January or something (as that last deal fell through for me) ;) Prices will drop,the first buyers will sell few months old Conroes for cheap :p
    I'm still playing BF2 with your 6800GT and XP 3000+ at 1280x1024 2AA mid to high settings :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

hey conzy wot happened to
    AMD>
    INTEL ??

Yeah gibbon, I should be happy with what i have :) We will buy all gline's conroes in january :D

And Kamakazi, I dunno, I think a mod removed it or something:o :D

Advertisement