Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pollen filters in a BMW 520

Options
  • 15-08-2006 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭

buying a 02 520i private SH. Got a mechanic to check it out, 1 or 2 minor things but overall he said great nick except for the pollen filters need replacing. He didnt elaborate except to say to get them replaced in the next service and to factor that into my purchase price. He also said that BMW could charge twice as much as any other garage to for the parts and fitting. Ideas? could I do this myself? how much would this be so I can factor into my final price?

cheers..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Looks like these are the ones ebay.

How many of them would I need and again are they something i could fit myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Try www.otto.ie or any motor factor should be able to supply this.
    Not too sure about the E39 5 series but my 320d E46 has one pollen filter directly below the front window under the bonnet .turn two spring loaded clips
    And the cover lifts off (or enough to get the filter out) replace in 10 seconds.

You can do this yourself, cheap and very easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yes they are easy to fit DIY. Buy one from your local Motorfactor and avoid the freight costs of the eBay ones !

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Mc-BigE wrote:
    Try www.otto.ie or any motor factor should be able to supply this.
    Not too sure about the E39 5 series but my 320d E46 has one pollen filter directly below the front window under the bonnet .turn two spring loaded clips
    And the cover lifts off (or enough to get the filter out) replace in 10 seconds.

You can do this yourself, cheap and very easy to do.

Is OTTO based out in Tallaght now, or still Ranelagh??

Their web site seems rather confused in the map/location area!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

520i has two pollen filters on both sides of the engine. Been meaning to replace mine but havent gotten around to it. Halfords sell pollen filters but didnt see any for the 520 when I was in their store last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

pop the bonnet, two black housings just under the window each side, release the clip across the front, lift the cover and replace the 2 filters. 30 seconds each one. Even you could do it:p About the size of an avg air filter but cost twice the price. Seen them in Halfords for about 25euro each.

Mine are black dirty and have been meaning to change them for well over a yr now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It does make a difference when clean ones go in.
    Very simple job!
    OTTO have moved to Airton Rd IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

kbannon wrote:
    It does make a difference when clean ones go in.
    Very simple job!
    OTTO have moved to Airton Rd IIRC.
    in what way Killian? mine is starting to smell like smelly socks lately

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lex Luthor wrote:
    in what way Killian? mine is starting to smell like smelly socks lately
    erm, it stops the smelly sock smell! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

erm, it stops the smelly sock smell!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

who says its the lowest form of wit.

thanks for the tips lads. I'll wangle 50e off the price then and fit myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement