Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint be gone!

Options
  • 15-08-2006 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

A room in the house is being re-plastered and painted, and I'm in the process of stripping the wallpaper off.
    Underneath the wallpaper is some type of paint I assume, and it's a complete bitch to get off. Some loose bits come off grand enough, but for the rest I'm stuck using a scraper and a blowtorch.
    Anyone any ideas as to how it could be taken off easier?

Had to be the biggest room in the house too..mutter curses mutter..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

Sounds like glue or something... You could try some solvent like paint-stripper or a wallpaper steam remover to soften it up (can be hired)....

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

If it is glue, have you tried vinegar and hot water? Worked a treat for me getting the last of wallpaper residue off a room. Better than any of the commercial products I tried.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the best way to apply it seemed to be using one of those spritzers that people use to water plants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Hmm, glue it might well be. I'll give the vinegar and water a try (already using washing up liquid and hot water to peel the wallpaper off), and if that fails I'll head to a hardware shop and have a gander see.
    Ta for the tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

Did you have any luck getting that stuff off? I find myself in a similar position and after trying everything am at a loss... This stuff sticks like nothing else!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

It just might be emulsion as the wallpaper paste eats into emulsion,example of this is when you/someone hangs a strip of wallpaper and while hanging it the paste hits off the emulsion on ceiling. Over a time the emulsion breaks down,this is why it is vital that paste is wiped throughly from surfaces it comes in contact with.

Id say that when you started to strip paper the paint came of because of paste and the water has crept in under some of the emulsion probably causing bubbles.

Id make sure all paper is off and leave it to dry,then sand the hell out of walls an then polybond them a couple of times. This should be a sound surface to skim over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement