Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towns still waiting for a bypass

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Can we get away from the topic of the merits or not of the M9 motorway or if posters must drag the topic on, could they start a new thread?. This road is currently being built (and now a section is open) so the time for deabte I think is over.

There are many, many towns that urgently need their bottlenecks cleared, and I would hope that NRA realises this and prioritises projects accordingly. When the MIU routes are complete, attention needs to turn to them. Town such as :

Claregalway
    Macroom
    Buttevant
    Charleville
    Adare
    Athy
    Newcastle West
    Abbeyfeale
    Castleisland
    Slane
    Ballaghaderreen
    Virginia
    Belturbet
    Enniscorthy
    New Ross
    Carrick On Suir
    Manorhamilton
    Blessington
    Baltinglass
    Carrick On Shannon
    Longford (N5)
    Ballybofey/Stranorlar
    Bandon
    Tipperary Town

Have I missed any?
    Maybe pinsters could classifiy the towns in terms of urgency - the ones needing work done first, second and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I created a new thread to deal with the whole M9 thing...

Let's move our arguments there and get this thread back on topic! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Can we get away from the topic of the merits or not of the M9 motorway or if posters must drag the topic on, could they start a new thread?. This road is currently being built (and now a section is open) so the time for deabte I think is over.

There are many, many towns that urgently need their bottlenecks cleared, and I would hope that NRA realises this and prioritises projects accordingly. When the MIU routes are complete, attention needs to turn to them. Town such as :

Claregalway
    Macroom
    Buttevant
    Charleville
    Adare
    Athy
    Newcastle West
    Abbeyfeale
    Castleisland
    Slane
    Ballaghaderreen
    Virginia
    Belturbet
    Enniscorthy
    New Ross
    Carrick On Suir
    Manorhamilton
    Blessington
    Baltinglass
    Carrick On Shannon
    Longford (N5)
    Ballybofey/Stranorlar
    Bandon
    Tipperary Town

Have I missed any?
    Maybe pinsters could classifiy the towns in terms of urgency - the ones needing work done first, second and so on.
    New list below.
    • Claregalway (N17/18)
    • Tuam (N17)
    • Charlestown (N17)
    • Macroom (N71)
    • Buttevant (N20)
    • Charleville (N20)
    • Adare (N21)
    • Athy (N78)
    • Newcastle West (N21
    • Abbeyfeale (N21)
    • Castleisland (N21)
    • Slane (N2)
    • Ballaghaderreen (N5)
    • Virginia (N3)
    • Belturbet (N3)
    • Enniscorthy (N25)
    • New Ross (N25)
    • Carrick On Suir (N24)
    • Carrick On Shannon Partially bypassed already!
    • Longford (N5)
    • Ballybofey/Stranorlar (N17)
    • Bandon (N71)
    • Tipperary Town (N24)
    • Carrick on Suir (N24)
    • Birr (N52/N62)
    • Roscrea (N62)
    • Thurles (N62 and orbital)
    • Portlaoise (N80)
    • Castlemartyr N25
    Not priority schemes but still needed in the long term future
    Manorhamilton (N15)
    Blessington (N81)
    Baltinglass (N80)
    Clara bypass (N80)
    Portumna (N65)
    Borriskane (N52/65)
    Farrenfore (N23)
    Ballyhaunis (N63/60)

Bold/Underlined = .Vital and necessary now
    Standard text = needed eventually(Not vital short term)

I'm sure I've pretty much covered the main bypasses. :)

An N17 scheme of some kind within the next 5 years (I know it's needed now - but I'm trying to be optamistic when it comes to funding -) needs to go ahead.

Also, I'd like to see the northern part of the M20 go ahead first to cover some of the awful bottlenecks...

BluntGuy wrote: »
    An N17 scheme of some kind within the next 5 years (I know it's needed now - but I'm trying to be optamistic when it comes to funding -) needs to go ahead.

Also, I'd like to see the northern part of the M20 go ahead first to cover some of the awful bottlenecks...

The worst ones
    are
    Claregalway
    NCW
    Adare at the moment

They need sorting out before the majority of the other's get attention.
    Traffic on all three surpass WS2 upgrades!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Tullow N81
    Mooncoin N24

Clonmel N24 and Dungarvan N25 have ring roads with too many bypasses and development. Need bypasses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

mysterious wrote: »
    New list below.
    • Claregalway (N17/18)
    • Tuam (N17)
    • Charlestown (N17)
    • Macroom (N71)
    • Buttevant (N20)
    • Charleville (N20)
    • Adare (N21)
    • Athy (N78)
    • Newcastle West (N21
    • Abbeyfeale (N21)
    • Castleisland (N21)
    • Slane (N2)
    • Ballaghaderreen (N5)
    • Virginia (N3)
    • Belturbet (N3)
    • Enniscorthy (N25)
    • New Ross (N25)
    • Carrick On Suir (N24)
    • Carrick On Shannon Partially bypassed already!
    • Longford (N5)
    • Ballybofey/Stranorlar (N17)
    • Bandon (N71)
    • Tipperary Town (N24)
    • Carrick on Suir (N24)
    • Birr (N52/N62)
    • Roscrea (N62)
    • Thurles (N62 and orbital)
    • Portlaoise (N80)
    • Castlemartyr N25
    Manorhamilton (N15)
    Blessington (N81)
    Baltinglass (N80)
    Clara bypass (N80)
    Portumna (N65)
    Borriskane (N52/65)
    Farrenfore (N23)
    Ballyhaunis (N63/60)

Standard text = needed eventually(Not vital short term)

I'm sure I've pretty much covered the main bypasses. :)

Emyvale (N2) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

New list below.
    • Enniscorthy (N25)

Enniscorthy is N11

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Enniscorthy is N11

And N30,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Well in my eyes Tipperary town has been a traffic bottleneck since I was a little child. Seriously needs a bypass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Manorhamilton (N15)

Isn't Manorhamilton on the N16 and already has some sort of surreal one way / ring system?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Abbeyleix?

Danno wrote: »
    Abbeyleix?

Majority of traffic will be removed from it by the M8, while not a direct bypass its as good as.

MYOB wrote: »
    Majority of traffic will be removed from it by the M8, while not a direct bypass its as good as.

Then the Old N8 will become the N78 Portlaoise to Kilkenny road.
    The road is adequate anyhoo. Plus it would be much sigh relief than still having to negoiate accross the N8.

MYOB wrote: »
    Isn't Manorhamilton on the N16 and already has some sort of surreal one way / ring system?

Realisitically it won't be getting a bypass.

With the Mullingar and Tullamore bypass coming on and the long opened Nenagh N52 bypass. Does it not make sense to finish Roscrea phase 2 N62 section and the Birr bypass also.

Roscrea needs a relief road from the Limerick road RO to the birr road. The towns streets are just far to narrow to handle traffic. Roscrea is a lovely town to pass through though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭rameire

Then the Old N8 will become the N78 Portlaoise to Kilkenny road.
    The road is adequate anyhoo. Plus it would be much sigh relief than still having to negoiate accross the N8.

and what will happen to the lovely N78 that is already there. from Kilcullen to Kilkenny

would you mean n77

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

New list below.
    • Charlestown (N17)

I cant see why a charlestown bypass is vital. Pass though every week and never been held up in traffic.

chronic traffic spots
    Adare
    Claregalway
    Charleville
    Castleisland

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

tech2 wrote: »
    I cant see why a charlestown bypass is vital. Pass though every week and never been held up in traffic.

chronic traffic spots
    Adare
    Claregalway
    Charleville
    Castleisland

If Charlestown was re-alinged so that the N17 through the town became the main road with the old N5 relegated to secondary, traffic would flow even better. Not sure the volumes on the N17 at that juncture require a dedicated by-pass to be honest.

Yes, would improve life for Charlestown residents bu then so would parking properly and allowing traffic to flow through relatively quickly etc. with some speed controls on the Galway and Bellaghy sides of the town to slow down incoming traffic etc.

rameire wrote: »
    and what will happen to the lovely N78 that is already there. from Kilcullen to Kilkenny

would you mean n77

Beg your pardon, I mean the N77. It would be great to see the N77 extended along the old N8 when the M8 is finished. It would make alot of sense. Cheers for the error correction, I should of known that mistake.

But on topic, they really need to build the Adare bypass, the amount of traffic that passes through the town, is equal that of kildare or enfiled back in the day, especially in summer, like the N7, its one of the busiest tourist routes.

It's the main road to Kerry and the southwest from Limerick and Dublin, baiscally the extension of the N7. The N7 should actually end in Tralee. Or at least Tralee should be sign posted on the N7 coming from Dublin.

• Advertisement

jrar wrote: »
    If Charlestown was re-alinged so that the N17 through the town became the main road with the old N5 relegated to secondary, traffic would flow even better. Not sure the volumes on the N17 at that juncture require a dedicated by-pass to be honest.

Yes, would improve life for Charlestown residents bu then so would parking properly and allowing traffic to flow through relatively quickly etc. with some speed controls on the Galway and Bellaghy sides of the town to slow down incoming traffic etc.

Well it's a national primary route, and is part of the Atlantic corridor, I do see it as a vital piece of infastructure that will be needed in the near future anyhoo.

The N18 sections are under construction, and the Gort to Tuam sections willl start after that, leading Charletown been one of the last towns left to be bypassed along the western corridor (N20/N17/N18)

The N7 should actually end in Tralee. Or at least Tralee should be sign posted on the N7 coming from Dublin.

It would be great to have a motorway all the way from dublin to tralee :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mayoimafriad

Ballinrobe in mayo can be very bad at peak times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mayoimafriad

i agree with tech2, i travel through Charlestown regularly and i rarely get held up! it realy doesn't deserve a bypass compared to other towns around the country which suffer from chronic congestion. i always find it strange though the way the N17 sligo road into Charlestown seems so much busier than the Galway road into Charlestown. you would never think they are the same road. Traffic volumes from Charlestown to Knock seems very low, then near Claremorris its like a different road which is always extremely busy?! strange

The N18 sections are under construction, and the Gort to Tuam sections willl start after that, leading Charletown been one of the last towns left to be bypassed along the western corridor (N20/N17/N18)

Would rather see Sligo bypassed IMO before any bypasses of Charlestown, Tobercurry, Miltown, Balindine etc... assuming the N17/N18 gets built.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Charlestown is not a problem on the N17 , never was to my mind and neither is Tobercurry or Ballindine . Tobercurry got a biteen of a bypass 30 years ago .

North of Sligo for about 10 miles to Grange is a really cack road . Slow and dangerous .

Once you go north of Grange it is liveable with until you reach Ballybofey which is in need of a bypass too.

I completely agree that Adare and Claregalway are utterly dire and need doing yesterday .

Longford is another one .

If there is no money for the M18 I would consider a a small bypass of Clarinbridge too to provide relief for the next 10 years and for safety reasons long term post construction of the M18 . Clarinbridge and Adare attract tourists who pull out like sheep in front of people . If the PPP fails I would build the Tuam bypass portion alone because Tuam is another bottleneck

Anywhere else I can think of in the west is not a priority or is already done or allegedly being done ..eg Castleisland .

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Anywhere else I can think of in the west is not a priority or is already done or allegedly being done ..eg Castleisland .

Castleisland, is a priority, it has the N21 and N23 passing through it at perpendicular. Trucks have crashed into buildings in the town by not been able to manovovre around the junctions. This road suffers congestion in the summer. The town has been crying for a bypass for 20 years.

It is a priority. It annoys me whan people talk about things they don't know:mad: it's really pathetic when people do this.

Castleisland, is a priority, it has the N21 and N23 passing through it at perpendicular. Trucks have crashed into buildings in the town by not been able to manovovre around the junctions. This road suffers congestion in the summer. The town has been crying for a bypass for 20 years.

It is a priority. It annoys me whan people talk about things they don't know:mad: it's really pathetic when people do this.

I'd advise you to learn to read before you accuse someone of saying something. Sponge Bob didn't say it wasn't a priority; he said it was 'allegedly being done', e.g. we've been told its getting a bypass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Its started.

• Advertisement

Its started.

What? The bypass or another argument with mysterious? :D

Advertisement