Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need Planning Permission ?

Options
  • 15-08-2006 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I want to have a sunroom extension built in our back garden. Do i need planning permission. From what I have read I don't think so based on the following

1 - It will be in the back of the house
    2 - It will be a single story ground floor extension
    3 - It won't exceed 40 Sq M of additional floor space.
    4 - we will still have over 25 Sq m of garden.
    5 - we will have no windows facing our neighbours.

What have i missed

It is going to extend 13' from the back of the house and accross about 24'
    It will have a hibbed tiled roof with 3 or 4 Velux. The roof will start from just above the door frame and slope up and finish in height just below our current Upstairs window ledges.

We have a previous small extension (covered in Side passage and converted outhouse to downstairs WC) but combined they still add up to only about 35 Sq M of added floor space.

Can anyone confirm if we should be okay without planning permission?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭damiand

Hi, frog sounds exempt.

Just go to the department of the environmnets web site to clarify. please find attached link

http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPol.nsf/0/fad163d4e576ac3a80256fa3003d0f77/$FILE/schedule2.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 senorfrog

Thanks damiand..

I will go have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

I can confirm that you don't need planning.(I'm a draghtsman btw). The 2 most important things are that it's under 40sqm, and at the back of the house (ie cant be seen from the road.)

And don't bother with the dept of environment site. It will confuse you even more.

Thankyou so much. Feel much better now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Of course that 's if you have not already built other extensions that you did not need planning for.

kadman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Neverends

Would be a good idea to let your neighbours know you're building it anyway though. Its not a nice surprise to wake up and see building next door and doesn't lead to good neighbour relations.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Sorry, Just gonna hi-jack yer thread for a sec!,

One quick question, Do these rules still apply when your building a new house? I have recieved planning but would like to add on a sun room now and reckon that it would be cheaper to do it now while building the house itself. Does anyone know if you abide by the rules above can you build on an extension while building the existing house. I dont want to be waiting another few months for more planning to come through!!

sorry again senor!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Salmon wrote:
    Sorry, Just gonna hi-jack yer thread for a sec!,

One quick question, Do these rules still apply when your building a new house? I have recieved planning but would like to add on a sun room now and reckon that it would be cheaper to do it now while building the house itself. Does anyone know if you abide by the rules above can you build on an extension while building the existing house. I dont want to be waiting another few months for more planning to come through!!

sorry again senor!!

Why not apply for a minor amendment to your original grant? This shouldn't be a problem and at least you will have permission. The cost is €63 for the planning authority plus whatever your architect/draughtsman will charge. It should take about 4 - 5 weeks, depending on how busy your planner is.

there was a pervious extension, only small, covering in side passage and convert outhouse WC to indoor WC. Only 11Sq M intital. Combined with our new peoposed extension still comfortably within the 40 Sq M limit.

Thatns for the advice about neighbours, I have already told them of our plans etc. No Issues there....Yet!

Advertisement