Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT broadband dynamic ip, how often does ip change?

• 15-08-2006 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

My brother has bt broadband and im trying to set something up while he's away. Do normal BT packages have dynamic ip's? and if so how often does it change? like every 24 hours or every time you reboot the router?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭rrolfe

staic ip will cost you more.

there is 2 ways you can get arround it.

get someone to login to the dsl router and tell you what your ip is
    use whatsmpip.com

or install dnynamaic dns, some router support it.
    if not i think you can get an app that will update it from your pc

try http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it'll change every time you reconnect. I'm not sure if BT will periodically boot you off the system, i generally just turn mine on when I need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

By reconnect do you mean reboot?

See there will be linux server thing connected to the router, and this will be on 24/7. I think the wrt54g router supports dyndns and i think he has that so that should solve the problem as he can sign up for an account with dyndns and the router should inform it of any changes.

thanks for the replies

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

somebodys setting up an ssh tunnel ;)

Advertisement