Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Tom

Options
  • 15-08-2006 3:39pm

Will this work in In Ireland ?
    Will its GPS work in Ireland?

I'm changing my jeep in 07 and expect to be driving in the UK and Europe, so it will be handy there.

Any thoughts and how exactly does it work here, will it know your location? and seeing as I need a car kit for my phone,could I use it for that too?

Last question,If I buy it in the states at maybe half the price,whats the story with the GPS end of it?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Yep , work great here in Ireland . I have one , your more than welcome to see it in operation ..

PM me if you need to know any specifics .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

I'm fairly sure tomtom aren't fairly useless for ireland.

Actually:
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/01/tomtom-go-910-710-510-gps-units-with-4-inch-widescreen-display/

According to this coverage of Ireland is minimal

Edit: D'oh, stand corrected :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

sharkman wrote:
    Yep , work great here in Ireland

Are you sure? Last time I looked the Republic was not supported

Edit: According tot TOMTOM themselves, they do not cover the Republic, just the North

unkel wrote:
    Are you sure? Last time I looked the Republic was not supported

Edit: According tot TOMTOM themselves, they do not cover the Republic, just the North

Well I'm hardly imagining using it ! Coverage of Cities is excellent with main roads in between covered . As I said OP is welcome to see it in operation .

sharkman wrote:
    Coverage of Cities is excellent with main roads in between covered

Ah! I suppose if it will work is a matter of expectations ;)

Only main roads and cities wouldn't do it for me. I'm still using Navigon 5.0 (for about a year now) which does have full coverage of Ireland. TomTom uses TeleAtlas and they're not up to speed yet

I like the look and feel of TomTom though. Might switcht whenever they're ready

• Advertisement

Just googled a bit and this might not be accurate, but it looks like TeleAtlas will not have Ireland covered until at least 2008 :eek:

They seem to be aiming for 80% by the end of this year

Can anyone confirm this / find similar results while browsing? It seems shocking that TeleAtlas are so far behind. NavTeq had Ireland fully covered last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭digweed

just another option for you, i bought a sony nav-u, nv-u50, the other day and had a trip to antrim from galway. it took me straight to where i wanted to go with no problem crossing the border. it also comes loaded with uk, france and belgium maps, it's powered by navteq. got it for 320 pre-owned in pc world, think the retail is about the 350 mark. if you're down the west and want to have a gander at it drop me a PM.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Hi,
    I have one of these. I find it great in Dublin and some of the bigger cities. Outside of these cities it has the major roads connecting these cities.

I took a gamble with it as I maybe doing some travelling in Europe and the US/Canada with work.

The problem is with Teleatlas. They seem not to have figured on a small island on the outskirts of Europe with a population of 4 million requiring GPS mapping.

I have contacted both TomTom(woeful customer service) and Teleatlas(no response) and Tomtom could not tell me when. On a second attempt I was told next year.

Overall it is great piece of kit(once you are not looking for the remaining 90% of Irish countryside):p .

It has cool feature like reading your texts to you and bluetooth phone connection(sound quailty is not great unless you use their supplied microphone).

There are issues with the mount at the moment drooping on hot days. Tomtom have rectified this and are supplying new ones. I am awaiting mine at the moment.

PM me if you want any more information

Thanks everyone,thats all I needed to know.
    I'll pm some of ye with the gadget in the next couple of days.

As long as it has Dublin Cork ,waterford Limerick and Galway on it,for now thats grand.

Other than that its just main roads? and can the GPS on the tom tom pin point your exact location as a starting out point ? even on the main roads outside of the cities?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Brianb8802

I was lookin around the boards and there is few guys who seem to know what there talkin about in the PDA section

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054967077&referrerid=59211&highlight=gps

They talk about several different units there.

And BTW i have seen the tomtom go 910 working in ireland first hand not so long ago and i would definately not recommend anybody to get it unless you are thinkin of just stayin in Cork Dublin or Limerick and not goin outside these major cities.

Also here is a link to the navteq map database, any of the units which have this should be ok, these are prob the most up to date ones for ireland

http://world.maporama.com/idl/maporama/

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:
    Thanks everyone,thats all I needed to know.
    I'll pm some of ye with the gadget in the next couple of days.

As long as it has Dublin Cork ,waterford Limerick and Galway on it,for now thats grand.

Other than that its just main roads? and can the GPS on the tom tom pin point your exact location as a starting out point ? even on the main roads outside of the cities?

To answer your question ..Yes . Even if you are "off the map" it will find your GPS position and give you a bearing to the nearest road available to the unit .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I was in the car with my grand dad yesterday and he has one TomTom. Very impressed with it considering that I always thought that SatNav's where a waste of money.

This is in the UK where you simply put in yourpost code andbob's your uncleit takes you exactlyto where you want to go.

It has different route options as well such as fastest, shortest, walking, cycling etc very good in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ray.mckenna@wat

i recently bought the TOM TOM GO . Once you leave Dublin maps disappear apart from main route. APparently I have version 6.5 and was advised by cutomer support that 6.75 was marginally improvement for maps outside Dublin. Does any one have any experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

TeleAtlas have 100% coverage for Ireland - see Google Maps - why TomTom don't use it is a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Ray,
    What type of map do you have ? Western Europe?
    Well the funny thing is TOMTOM used to have two versions of Western Europe - one with ROI and one without.... (the one without ROI will have main roads outside Dublin an not much more)

And the one bundled with most TOMTOM's is the one without ROI...

If you have right maps coverage is pretty good. Yes I have been on roads in Sligo that were not on TOMTOM, but they were hardly signposted rat runs with bared any tarmac surface on it..

Now that they have 6.75 there seem to be only one Western Europe Map. Btw its seem that 6.75 to be a step back compared to 6.6x when it comes to Points of Interests.. (if thats important to you)

Don't revive old threads, ray.mckenna@wat. Please read the charter before you post. There is now a dedicated GPS forum. By all means, start a new thread there.

There is a seperate 6.75 for Uk & Ireland , I have it loaded but am reverting to 6.60 as it seems to have more detail .

Re-opened and moved to GPS forum

Advertisement