Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Profiting from air terror

Options
  • 15-08-2006 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum but it seems to fit the bill.

The current situation regarding airport security is obviously concerning and airports have tightened up security which means that hand luggage is reduced. This is all good and well.

However my girlfriend travleed over to the UK before this all happened and had used almost the full allowance between hand luggage and checked luggage.

Today on returning she had to check more luggage because of the restrictions on Hand luggage putting her 5Kg over the checked allowance and Ryanair charged her for this. Normally she would have had the extra 5kg in hand luggage and not had to pay. Does anyone else think this stinks and what is the best way to go about complaining/making the general public aware of this nasty profiteering?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Ryanair tried to do this to me and my bf travelling back from France last Friday but we flatly refused to check in his laptop and my carry on bag. At the time we didnt know about what had happened in Heathrow and we thought it was one of Ryanairs schemes to get more money from checking in bags, but it does seem very unfair of them to be charging people excess baggage allowances when they are refusing to allow them to carry on any luggage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

joe duffy and th newspapers.

While O'Leary is bitching about the UK situtation he is milking it on water and drinks charges as well as the baggage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A fiver sterling for a 500ml bottle of water - allegedly.

It was 10 euro for a mars bar, sandwich, tea and orange juice on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Why are people suprised that Ryanair will take advantage of a situation to make money ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 calmur

ryanair will do just about anything to make money.but try complaining to head office ,they can't even bother to reply to your letter. they don't give a ****eabout you once they get your cash. Past experience.. NEVER AGAIN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

ircoha wrote:
    joe duffy and th newspapers.

While O'Leary is bitching about the UK situtation he is milking it on water and drinks charges as well as the baggage.

You can always pay three time the price for your ticket with a different airline in order to save a few bob on food & drinks...

Whinger...

E.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

mayhem# wrote:
    You can always pay three time the price for your ticket with a different airline in order to save a few bob on food & drinks...
    Ah yes, the old 'Low Fares Airline' bollocks that Ryanair have brainwashed everyone with.

Aer Lingus can be cheaper on some routes and at certain times. It's all about shopping around.

I prefare flying with 'ABRA' as I don't like being treated like an animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Nightwish wrote:
    It was 10 euro for a mars bar, sandwich, tea and orange juice on Friday.

As it always is.

When people don't want to fly (as is the feeling with a lot of people in the UK at the moment), then the airlines lose money, look at the drop in shareprices of all airlines on thursday/friday... a couple of extra snacks sold because people can't bring food aboard isn't going to balance the books, thats just complete and utter nonsense.

I've made two flights from UK airports in the past week, and Ryanair's rules have been the same as always, and on Thursday they weren't even bothering to check the weight of handluggage that had to go in the hold.

That said one thing which I don't like is their online check-in, my girlfriend used it and gave a driving licence num (instead of a passport, which it does explicitly state), but then there was a 20EUR charge for changing it at the desk, which was literally just a clerical change and printing a piece of paper off.

Ah yes, the old 'Low Fares Airline' bollocks that Ryanair have brainwashed everyone with.

Aer Lingus can be cheaper on some routes and at certain times. It's all about shopping around.

I prefare flying with 'ABRA' as I don't like being treated like an animal.

Whatever......

E.

• Advertisement

Kali wrote:
    gave a driving licence num (instead of a passport, which it does explicitly state)

So, whose fault is it then?

E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

So, whose fault is it then?

Hers, which I stated. Whats your point? I'm complaining about the unneccessary charge for a simple mistake. If you have nothing to add (judging by your last two posts) don't bother clicking Submit in future.

When I'm flying to the UK, I only fly with BMI or Ryanair as either one of them will always be cheaper than Aer Lingus. I had no choice but to fly with Ryanair last week, as they are the only airline that fly to Carcassonne in France. Whenever I fly with them, I usually expect the worst but sometimes they have surprised me with their efficiency and friendliness (apart from the check in staff in France).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭tonyboy247

opened my eyes reading the blurb on their in flight magazine telling how they rate the highest on customer satisfaction. I was expecting to pay for that to.
    I pulled the plug on all shares here bad vibes company re-registering outside EU legal. Guess what that means?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

And you'll still pay for the mars bar, sandwich, tea and orange juice...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Shortstack wrote:

Today on returning she had to check more luggage because of the restrictions on Hand luggage putting her 5Kg over the checked allowance and Ryanair charged her for this. Normally she would have had the extra 5kg in hand luggage and not had to pay. Does anyone else think this stinks and what is the best way to go about complaining/making the general public aware of this nasty profiteering?

Your girlfriend has a reasonable complaint. Did Ryanair make any effort to e-mail her with revised T&Cs after the security alert? If not she has every reason to expect the T&Cs she agreed to when booking would still apply, changes due to security are understandable but should not leave her out of pocket. Ryanair should have carried the excess luggage free of charge and pursued the BAA for compensation if they wished to recoup any "losses".

Not sure if the small claims court has jurisdiction in this, worth a try though. Failing that, Joe Duffy would love to her from you...she's not from Clontarf by any chance? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Why are people suprised that Ryanair will take advantage of a situation to make money ?

I don't think Ryanair deliberately went out of their way to make money. Their policy on baggage has been turned on its head with last weeks events. They had two options - let everyone check in luggage as per old regulations or charge them for everything as per their new policy. Obviously they went with what favours themselves.

Personally, I think they should have allowed everyone check in stuff for free until the situation was clarified and a new policy is introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

And you'll still pay for the mars bar, sandwich, tea and orange juice...

but from what i remember Aer Lingus are much cheaper for on board food and drinks than ryanair

Advertisement