Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

on the market for a new car

Options
  • 15-08-2006 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

hello all,

i am currently changing job and the new company want to give a car allowance as opposed to a company car.

the allowance i am getting will allow to get either a car in the region of 30k or a 55k car that i would have to run which i wouldnt mind doing as i wont be doing too much driving and i have a bigger asset at the end of the 3year lease.

just wondered if anyone was in the same position or what would you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I thinks thats getting more common with BIK rules.

What are your requirements.

Kids???

Loads??

Milage???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

A 30k car will be a mid range Avensis/Mondeo/Passat

A 55k car will be a 5-series or similar.

The cheaper car obviously makes more financial sense, as there is far less capital to depreciate, and will most likely have lower running costs (smaller engine, cheaper parts from the dealer, etc). In fact the cheapest car with the smallest 1.6 engine will be the most sensible of all.

Buying a car is never about making a wise financial investment though.

I'd even go so far as to say 30k is a top spec

Corolla / Focus / Astra

and 55 K get some change out of a high spec Avensis / Mondeo / S60

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

ninty9er; no kids, no loads, milage about 15k very tops... but the company assures me that my BIK reflects the top bracket (30k per annum milage)
    was hoping for something a little special because i also have access to a personal s40

i was hoping to buy something for 45k that has done its depreciation so now its leaning towards a 2003 car or similar. i think 3-series might be an option but they are a dime a dozen.
    obviously a 911 porsche would hold its value more that anything else.!

and maidhc i totally agree with u that cars are a not a good investment but now would be a nice time to own something that someone else can pay for if u know what i mean!!!! :)

A$ Cabriolet detailsfosterA4Sil989.jpg

NICE 325479290_20060731050710_1.jpg

GS430 -Nice but a Tax disasterhoganlexus2376_2.jpg

Nice BoxternextcarBoxBla826.jpg

Maybe use the excess to update/upsize the S40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

good luck finding a GS430 in Ireland!

the boxster sure is a sweet ride. u have inspired me to go tomorrow and test drive one. there is also an m5 there that will wet my appetite

How did the test drive go????

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Munurty

Check this out M3 out. Its very cheap for that car. I'd easily put up with LHD for that price.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=482797

test drove quite a few motors today (perks of having time off between jobs :) )

1. Boxster was great. it was an 2002 3.2S, plenty of poke.
    2. 911, simply put amazing but running costs are just as amazing!!
    3. bmw 525TDS with M spec, 2002, really nice car and seriously looking at this one.
    4. bmw x5 2003 sport.. this was the most impressive of all. it takes corners like a dream and there is more than enough power in the 3L diesel..
    5. bmw m5. lunancy on 4wheels.. recommend anyone to drive it.

munurty, i had an m3 before. the noise is really great isnt it? i was hurting when i had to pay out 950 PER TYRE.!!! and another thing they dont tell u is that u have to change them every 10k..! and thats driving it handy..

what do u guys drive/driven and would u recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

ninty9er wrote:
    I've just cum in my pants...thats a beauty..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

iremex wrote:
    what do u guys drive/driven and would u recommend?

I have a 01 M5 and a 06 X5 and as far as I'm concerned they're two of the best cars on the road, you can't go far wrong with either one. I've driven them all by the way so I'm not bluffing.:D

Advertisement