Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Certificates of Courage" For 1916/War of Indep. Vets!?

Options
  • 15-08-2006 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hello:

There was an article in either the Ireland on Sunday or the Mail (Sorry, I can't remember which now) that mentioned official recognition for veterans of both the Rising and the War of Independence. (presumably it goes to their families since most (maybe all?) vets are dead by now.)

The article called them "Certificates of Courage" but I'm pretty sure that's not the official name. :)

It also mentioned state medals given to veterans on the 50th. Anniversaries of both events (I think) and how they are now quite valuable historical 'artifacts.'

I'm sorry I didn't keep the article now because I haven't seen any further mention of it since and was wondering if the proposed "Certificates of Courage" are/will be only given to families of those who received previous recognition or to any family that had a direct involvement?

The article in question also indicated that (military) records of that time are held in an Army Barracks somewhere and gave an address to write to for application forms.

I do know my grandfather was involved in events of the time but haven't a clue if there are any official records of that since he never talked about it. I would love to find out if he (or rather we, his family) is entitled to a "Certificate of Courage" (:) <= can't help smiling at that term), even if only for the family stash of interesting (to us) documents that have been handed down for the last few generations.

Do anyone know anything about all this? (Maybe I imagined it!? :)

Tommy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Try the Military Archives. I think they are held at Cathal Brugha Barracks, Rathmines, Dublin, 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 PBaker

TommyK wrote:
    Hello:

I do know my grandfather was involved in events of the time but haven't a clue if there are any official records of that since he never talked about it. I would love to find out if he (or rather we, his family) is entitled to a "Certificate of Courage"
    Do anyone know anything about all this? (Maybe I imagined it!? :)

Tommy.

I have discussed this in detail on my web sitewww.TheEasterRising.Eu , i would be happy to carry out a check on any records as discussed in the Roll of Honour section of the site. (Free of charge obviousley).

Drop me a line at info@theeasterrising.eu if you wish

Advertisement