Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No lights in the rain

• 15-08-2006 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭

Pouring rain all afternoon here (laois) and I was out in the car several times. Id say less then a quarter of people that I met either in towns, on busy national roads or country backroads had their dip lights on. Why????? It is much safer to drive in the rain with lights on, makes you FAR more visable and all it takes is a seconds thought to put on your dips when you put on your wipers. Why doesnt the government push the idea to people more? Driving on parking lights is equally as stupid IMO, fair enough your taillights are on but tiny 5W parking bulbs (for parking not driving) dont make you any more visable.

Sorry rant over. Just seems to me to be a simple way to make poor visability driving safer. Bulbs arent that expensive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its worth considering that the easiest/cheapest/quickest way to reduce your chances of getting hit is to turn your lights on.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Fogs and all? ;)

Sorry Mike, couldn't resist! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Would'nt it be an excellent idea for car manufacturers to implement this, ie dipped beams come on automatically when the wipers are used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

pclancy wrote:
    Driving on parking lights is equally as stupid IMO, fair enough your taillights are on but tiny 5W parking bulbs (for parking not driving) dont make you any more visible

Those things should be banned. You might as well light a candle ffs. I was delighted when I bought my current car (VW) and saw that it had no parking lights. Dips and high beams, and that's it. I was hoping that these stupid things would disappear altogether, but no such luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Been driving all over north county Dublin last weekend, I lost count of how many cars I passed by that couldn't figure out how to use their lights.

The sad thing is that majority of them are 05 and 06 cars, people obviously have the money to splash on a new car but don't have 5 minutes to familiarise themselves with the controls.

Most of them only had their fog lights on, even though there was no fog (rarely is). Some prefer the parking lights, guess they believe it saves electricity. And a few drive around with rear fog lights on but no headlights.

It seems to me like some sort of a russian roulette.. push a few buttons, turn the controls a few times and hope for the best. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was going to e-mail the Dept of Transport about this matter sometime last year but never got round to it. I will do it this week.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

mike65 wrote:
    I was going to e-mail the Dept of Transport about this matter sometime last year but never got round to it. I will do it this week.

Mike.

I'm goin 2 try and push it from within too. FF are always telling us they want Ógra to be more proactive. Martin Cullen isn't the best guy for the job though. I'll mention it when we get stuck in at college again.

They made seat belts compulsory in '91, why not make DRL compulsory from '08. Realistically all '07 cars have been manufactured by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Drove around the M50 today at 3.30pm in torrential rain. At least a third of the cars I passed/saw had their lights off :(

It's gone beyond annoying now, it's just sad that people can be this clueless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I can't understand why people have their parking lights on during the day/evening, they are hardly visible at night, so how could anyone se them during the day. I usually put headlights on, with the beam adjusted down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

With regard to driving on parking lights. On the 1996 Micra at home, if the parking lights are on when the car is started, the parking lights go off and the dip lights come on at slightly reduced power. It was great and really made the car easy to see.

On the new (to me) Mirca, (a 2000 model), Nissan removed this low power dip light for when the car is running & parking lights are on.

They got rid of a useful safety feature! Yes, I think that driving with parks for visibility reasons (rain) is stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I heard that there are some cars that when you start the engine, the headlights come on automatically?

I always drive with my headlights on, even on a Sunny day. It makes me that much more visable, anyway, when you see a car in the far distance without lights on, it's hard to tell on some roads whether it's parked or not, with headlights on you know it's moving.

cormie wrote:
    I heard that there are some cars that when you start the engine, the headlights come on automatically?

I always drive with my headlights on, even on a Sunny day

Volvo and Saab

Me too

Seeing people drive correctly on our roads is such a rarity that I often wonder, are the ones I do see drive properly, the same guys who post in this forum. It seems nearly everyone here does the correct thing, why can't the same ratios apply on the roads :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ninty9er wrote:
    Volvo and Saab

Me too
    with FIAT's you can leave the head lights on all the time because they go off when you turn off the ignition , no flat battery and no beeps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

cormie wrote:
    Seeing people drive correctly on our roads is such a rarity that I often wonder, are the ones I do see drive properly, the same guys who post in this forum. It seems nearly everyone here does the correct thing, why can't the same ratios apply on the roads :(

Because this is a motoring forum. Now and again there will be a driver behaviour-related thread posted in After Hours, and I just don't know whether to laugh or cry at half the responses.

Edit: And on the Daytime running lights, beware the Volkswagen interpretation where the back lights do *not* come on automatically. I think Volvos might do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

with FIAT's you can leave the head lights on all the time because they go off when you turn off the ignition , no flat battery and no beeps
    Yeah I noticed that the other day when I had a new Fiat Croma as a hire car. It came as a surprise, but then I started to wonder why every manufacturer didn't do it this way.

That's true actually. Seen a fair few dodgy threads and replies there.

This forum is really good. It's definitely made me a better driver. Going off topic here:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

Alfa is the same (obviously I suppose...). Don't think I ever touched the light switch when I had an Alfa. Lights were just left on at all times as they automatically switched off when the car was switched off.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

When Dublin city council/corporation had a campaign to encourage this, didn't they use a rear fog light icon on their signs instead of a dip beam icon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The old wives tale about "wasting the battery" appears to be alive and well. I drive with the dipped lights on at all times and I am regularly informed by other motorists, especially taxi drivers, that my lights are on. Does it not occur to these morons that I want them on?

My father in-law is very keen not to "burn out the bulbs". When driving at twilight, he only switches on the lights approaching a bend and then promptly turns them back off again. He also will never use the indicators if there is no one following him. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The old wives tale about "wasting the battery" appears to be alive and well. I drive with the dipped lights on at all times and I am regularly informed by other motorists, especially taxi drivers, that my lights are on. Does it not occur to these morons that I want them on?

My father in-law is very keen not to "burn out the bulbs". When driving at twilight, he only switches on the lights approaching a bend and then promptly turns them back off again. He also will never use the indicators if there is no one following him. :rolleyes:

Is he about 70. My grandad's the same. He thinks by now everybody knows where he's going!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Andy_R

On my last car (Peugeot 307) the dipped beams came on automatically when the wipers were on. Good idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ninty9er wrote:
    Is he about 70. My grandad's the same. He thinks by now everybody knows where he's going!!:rolleyes:

Very close ninty9er - he is 69!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

He also will never use the indicators if there is no one following him. :rolleyes:

Being brutally honest about this point:

Indicators are a signal of intent not a conferral of right of way. Your Father/Grandfather/whoever is technically and legally correct in choosing not to indicate where it does not benifit other people.

Sometimes (not in this instance) indicating wrongly is worse than not indicating.

Just something to be aware of. Indicating is necessary when it's signal will benifit other road users, if it does not benifit them then you should not do it.

L.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

All indicators show is that your bulbs work!

I think it's good to be in the habit of indicating "correctly" regardless of who's around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I love that feature about my Punto. It's genius. I personally wouldn't have dipped lights on all the time, I think it's a bit excessive on sunny days when there is light reflecting off tonnes of surfaces. However, any overcast, gloomy or rainy day, then I consider it a neccessity.

Plus, that thing about the indicators reminds me of my dad. When he was teaching me to drive, he told me not to use the indicators so much as it would wear out the bulb!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

I was taught the very same by my auld lad, needless to say I indicate as much as possible as Im always giving out about people that dont, especially on roundabouts. It takes a second and saves lots of time/quick braking when you know where people are going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Shaybo

Driving down the M1 past Drogheda towards Balbriggan a few weeks ago in the heavist rain I've ever encountered in this country and the amount of people without lights on beggared belief.

You couldn't see more than a few yards in front and I was trying to get in out of the overtaking lane but I was terrified that I would rearend some slower moving traffic without lights on.

I have a Saab so they're on all the time but even when I had other makes previously I'd have them on.

There seems to be a prevalent feeling that only when it's dark should you put your lights on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Always have them on, I find that if you put them on everytime you get into the car you find yourself doing it automatically after a while.

Advertisement