Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The School of Philosophy

Options
  • 15-08-2006 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Has anyone any views on what is taught by this group? I know that here was some talk some time ago about this being a cult! Can you throw some light on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

I know people who have gone there. Perhaps "cult" is a bit strong. However, anyone interested in philosophy should be directed to a University.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭renedescartes

What does a "bit strong " mean. Of course those interested in Phil should make their way to Uni. But I would still like to know how your friends got on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Pocari Sweat

Can I learn something I don't already know?

Rene,
    They were mature adults. They found their time there pleasant. They were encouraged to keep taking courses. As a philosophy graduate I was pleased to hear that they'd been studying philosophy and looked forward to conversations but they knew almost nothing. They talked more about "relaxing". My view that the last thing philosophy will help you do is relax was not well received.

Pocari,
    You have great potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Pocari Sweat

Over me head there.

• Advertisement

Hi Jackie,
    Your comments are appreciated. Your conclusion is the same as I have. I would love to know what your friends got from it, and how long were they there. Also is there any form of control involved. I do know that there is a question of money and also there is some form of dress code, neither of which have anything to do with philosophy that I know of.
    Rene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

From reading around on the web about it, the organisation promotes a particular philosophy based on platonism and certain Eastern philosophies. Nothing wrong with this so long as everyone knows what they are getting. As suggested earlier, people might be better going to evening classes at a university.

Rene and Skeptic,
    Your posts have now made me begin to wonder if this organisation warrants more attention. I thought it was just an incompetent leisure course.

Hi Jackie,
    Many thanks for your coments. I think that you are correct, that his perhaps needs a closer look. There is a question of money and control involved here. What may appear to be a middle class social outlet, may not be what it actually is. I believe there are week long courses involved here where participants are expected to be up at 5.30 AM to attend sessions. As I am Aware there is no clarity here. Participants are not informed. We need info
    rene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

What school of philosophy are you talking about?

• Advertisement

Ghost Rider,
    Its The School of practical Philosophy and Economic Science. They run courses through the country. It was founded by Mr Leon McClaren in the UK in the 30' Google it.

Rene

Ah, yes. I've seen their posters and flyers about the place. No idea whether the philosophy course is well taught or not but I did look into the syllabus once, just out of curiosity. Their idea of the history of philosophy seemed quite partial, as I recall.

Ghost Rider,
    Its The School of practical Philosophy and Economic Science. They run courses through the country. It was founded by Mr Leon McClaren in the UK in the 30' Google it.

Rene

Hi Ghost Rider,
    The history is OK I suppose but they also mix meditation into it as well. So I wonder is there any form of control here? It seems very 'reserved' but I wonder is there something behind it.
    Rene

When you say "something behind it", do you mean an ulterior motive? I doubt it, really. If the thing was established in the 1930s, we'd probably have heard of a hidden agenda by now. (You can be sure there'd be a website devoted to it at least...)

Mixing meditation with philosophy seems a bit hippy dippy to me. That said, some western philosophers (e.g. Schopenhauer) were quite influenced by eastern thought. And some continental thinkers have recently started to look again at the ways in which philosophy can approach the question "How should I live?" which is nothing if not practical.

I guess I take a fairly liberal view of philosophy courses, especially considering the fairly anti-intellectual climate in which we live. Still, if I was recommending one to a friend, I'd suggest they didn't decide in advance that philosophy is intimately connected to meditation, or even that philoosphy can be practical...!

Hi Ghost Rider,
    The history is OK I suppose but they also mix meditation into it as well. So I wonder is there any form of control here? It seems very 'reserved' but I wonder is there something behind it.
    Rene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the course is named practical philosophy, the best kind i think, it is about living and seeing life philisophically, not about an A-Z of names and theories you can quote off to impress people...

i think its fari to call it a middle-class social outlet, but sure the same could be said for uni... for and evening class its fine...where did you hear of a dresss code, afaik the lecturers are expected to where suits and thats about the height of it...

whats behind the uni courses huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

the course is named practical philosophy, the best kind i think, it is about living and seeing life philisophically, not about an A-Z of names and theories you can quote off to impress people...

i think its fari to call it a middle-class social outlet, but sure the same could be said for uni... for and evening class its fine...where did you hear of a dresss code, afaik the lecturers are expected to where suits and thats about the height of it...

Have you attended?

Hi Lostexpectation,
    I am afraid that I cannot agree with your conclusion in putting this school on the same footing as Uni. As I am aware a uni course has total visability, one is told exactly whats involved. One is told the format and what is expected of one's participation. Also all are treated the same. From your obvious knowlredge of this school can you confirm that there is transperancy in this school? Have you been a member?
    While its true tosay that this school is going since the 30's, it does not follow that all informatio is in the public domain yet.
    Rene

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Have you ever studied philosophy at University level? If not you can find out whats behind the uni course by logging on to the University website and looking at the program.

the OP was talking about an evening course, I don't know why you're bringing university level into it. Both the orgs have and give access to the same range 'philisophies' as each other.

Hi Lostexpectations,
    I thought you alluded to this school as being the same as a Uni course, the only point I would make that there appears to be little transparency in this school as compared to a formal course. You may have more knowledge then I but it is not accurate that the material used in both are comming from the same source as far as I am aware. The school of Philosophy uses its own internal material?????? Is this not true? Again as regards dress code there is also a gender BIAS against women........do you know anything about this?
    Rene

• Advertisement

Hi Lostexpectations,
    I thought you alluded to this school as being the same as a Uni course, the only point I would make that there appears to be little transparency in this school as compared to a formal course. You may have more knowledge then I but it is not accurate that the material used in both are comming from the same source as far as I am aware. The school of Philosophy uses its own internal material?????? Is this not true? Again as regards dress code there is also a gender BIAS against women........do you know anything about this?
    Rene

Yeah I went for a couple of seasons, I dunno I have begun to regret not knowing more/everything about the courses I took but I think that would be an impossible task as much as you wouldn't know they agenda behind many of the philiosphies/ers you would study at UNI or the agenda behind Milltown or Maynooth UNI. What wouldn't they tell you, I think they guard their course material because they don't want it republished without their permission, but at the end of the day they only base it on material thats widely published elsewhere(historic, ancient or recent), the list of subjects is in their brouchures and material as much as it is in a UNI evening course, maybe their description of it is vague doesn't list it as recognisable name Descartes of Buddhism or Zen of something so you can go look it up yourself, but that basically what it is.

Where did you hear about the dress code...It did come up one time in the class and head of the school took pains to explain it. It doesn't apply to students as far as I know only lecturers, who would required perhaps to wear sutis also..and for women power suits (with a appropiately long skirt).This might bristle with feminists but is no more then is required in the corporate world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Lostexpectation can you please tell us whether this 'school of philosophy' does in fact study any academic philosophy or is it focused on a sort of vague zen spirituality. Do people actaully discuss specific philosophers and their works and if so who?

Lostexpectatins,
    You seem to know about this. So there is a dress code! As i am aware schools do not normally insist on any form of dress other then being presentable, what with your long dresses and suits it certainly sounds strange. I have looked at their brochure and to be honest it would be difficult to come to any conclusion based on this. Are you saying that this is the basis for their classes?
    Can I ask you why you gave it up
    Rene

well im more interested in defending the idea that you don't have to learn the names and dates of the ideas then the school itself, I think they teach the same stuff as anywhere else but without focusing on the names of the theories so much. I left cos I was got busy elsewhere.

wear did you hear there was a dress code for the teaches rene?

is all you want to do is learn 'academic philosphy' well ok... but go elsewhere then...
    what is 'philosophy and what is practical philosphy.

I would be suspicious about anyone who used the term "Practical Philosophy" as it suggests an agenda.

The first duty of philosophy is to be relevant.

Duty to who? Relevant to what?

The first duty of philosophy is to be relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Here they are:

http://www.practicalphilosophy.ie/

Here's what you learn:
    • Week 1: Practical Philosophy: the love and application of wisdom. How to act wisely in all circumstances.
    • Week 2: The principle of self knowledge. The importance of observation.
    • Week 3: The difference between knowledge and information. Raising the levels of awareness. The spirit of enquiry.
    • Week 4: Realising our limitless potential. The nature of justice and injustice. Transcending fear.
    • Week 5: Developing and expanding reason. Experiencing deeper levels of being through stillness.
    • Week 6: Waking up out of dreams. Seeing beyond appearances. What is Absolute beauty? Discriminating between the eternal and the changing.
    • Week 7: In truth, who am I? The nature of the body, mind and heart. How to develop and strengthen the power of attention.
    • Week 8: Identification with the changing, and its effects. Remembering the unchanging observer and understanding the four states of attention.
    • Week 9: Rising above the mechanicalness of everyday living. Discovering true freedom.
    • Week 10: Living in the present. Is there an unchanging I? Improving efficiency and increasing energy.
    • Week 11: The three states of love. The three types of speech. Using attention in the proper way.
    • Week 12: What is truth itself? The way ahead.

I believe the philosophy in question is Vendanta.

Are they a religion/cult?
    http://www.esatclear.ie/~dialogueireland/ses1.htm

how is the academic philsophy practical?
    pH wrote:
    Here they are:

http://www.practicalphilosophy.ie/

interesting must read.. how do you figure that.

Are they a religion/cult?
    http://www.esatclear.ie/~dialogueireland/ses1.htm[/QUOTE]

ah yes the western catholic church gets decides whats a cult or not? :rolleyes:

this is interesting http://www.whyaretheydead.net/misc/SES/svf02eng.html

it seems to be very slow cult...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

pH wrote:
    interesting must read.. how do you figure that.
    How did I figure that? Using my advanced skills of reading that's how:

In 1961 the founder and head of the School, Leon MacLaren, made contact with one of the leading figures of an ancient philosophical and spiritual tradition in India, Shri Shantananda Saraswati, who was the Shankaracharya of the northern seat of that tradition. The first meeting in 1965 opened up a very significant new dimension to the School's studies and practices. Guidance was received from the Shankaracharya on the study of the ancient philosophical and scriptural writings of India which form the basis of the philosophy called Advaita Vedanta, and on the practice of meditation. The philosophy of Advaita Vedanta is that behind all the apparent differences there is an underlying unity and that it is in the understanding and experience of this unity that Man finds fulfillment and happiness. Advaita Vedanta is now the foundation of the philosophical teaching presented by the School.
    http://www.practicalphilosophy.ie/practicalphilosophy/history-organisation/history-organisation
    ah yes the western catholic church gets decides whats a cult or not? :rolleyes:
    Well at least they're honest about they type of organisation they are and what they do. Those front page ads in the IT give you the impression you're doing some sort of evening course in philosophy. Whether they're a cult or not, they at least give an impression of cult-like behaviour to some people.

I'm not saying they are a cult or not. That was one of the few non-anonymous attributable opinions on the 'school' I could find.
    this is interesting http://www.whyaretheydead.net/misc/SES/svf02eng.html
    it seems to be very slow cult...
    Or perhaps just a not very good/successful one ... who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Here's what you learn:
    • Week 1: Practical Philosophy: the love and application of wisdom. How to act wisely in all circumstances.
      [/url]
    that first sentence alone should set alarm bells ringing in anyone's head, regardless of philosophical education or lack thereof. They've clearly just decided to ignore over 2000 years of debate on ethics and morals, and subjectivity and objectivity and have solved everything. sounds pretty good, how much does it cost again?:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement