Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner needs help

Options
  • 15-08-2006 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just back from a short break in Spain. Got my dad to give me some of his fishing stuff. He didn't even know what it was for, and neither do I.

The reel has this written on it:

YI. DE. LI. 540
    lbs/yds 8/240 10/210 12/155
    mm/m 0.28/220 0.30/190 0.30/140
    GEAR RATIO 4.9:1

What do these mean?

The rod is approx 240cm long when extended, nothing written on it. Would a picture help?

I'd say it's all pretty much crap. I think my dad used to do a bit of shore fishing but even he doesn't remember.

So the question really is: what can I do with it? What kind of fish could I get with it? I was hoping to do a bit of shore/pier fishing...

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

inigo wrote:
    Hi all,

Just back from a short break in Spain. Got my dad to give me some of his fishing stuff. He didn't even know what it was for, and neither do I.

The reel has this written on it:

YI. DE. LI. 540
    mm/m 0.28/220 0.30/190 0.30/140
    GEAR RATIO 4.9:1

What do these mean?

The rod is approx 240cm long when extended, nothing written on it. Would a picture help?

I'd say it's all pretty much crap. I think my dad used to do a bit of shore fishing but even he doesn't remember.

So the question really is: what can I do with it? What kind of fish could I get with it? I was hoping to do a bit of shore/pier fishing...

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

The setup you have is mainly designed for spinning (pike, perch salmon), but you could get away with pier fishing for mackerel & maybe the odd pollack.

The 4.9:1 ratio is fairly sturdy & the spool is designed for a decent amout of either 8, 10 or 12lb line.

Shore fishing could be a problem - if my maths is correct - 240cm is about 8ft in old money ;) , so not much length to get out through the surf (Id be happily corrected here by any surf guys).

Oh & the reel itself is made in China YI. DI. LI. are behind a lot of european made reels.

Hope thats of some help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Andip wrote:
    Shore fishing could be a problem - if my maths is correct - 240cm is about 8ft in old money ;) ,

Grand for float fishing off the rocks! (Caught a nice wrasse at Hook Head using similar setup)
    jd

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

Thanks guys. Can't wait to buy the rest of the stuff and get out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

means the reel is designed for 240 yards of 8 lb line etc.

too short for beach fishing or serious casting distances, but grand for mackerel or pollack off rocks / pier.

Advertisement