Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you officially leave a party?

Options
  • 15-08-2006 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

Basically, I want to leave one political party in order to join another one... what must be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

mloc wrote:
    Basically, I want to leave one political party in order to join another one... what must be done?

I'd imagine it's pretty much the same as resigning from a job. You can either just say "Right lads, I'm off" or to make it more formal or official hand a letter to the head of your cumann. Can I ask who you're leaving and where you're going and your reasons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

Depends on if you want to be a drama queen about it or not. If you don't, just join the other party and don't renew your membership for the old one when it comes up. Simple as that. Its not meant to be a declaration of war and pistols at dawn. You just stop attending and helping out.

If you want to make some big display of wiping the original party like dust off your feet, you can always just walk into one of their offices, rip up your membership card in front of one of them and cause a general scene in renouncing your loyalty(like Silken Thomas renouncing Henry VIII below), if that's what you're into.

h_silken.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

You say, "I'll get me coat."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

well, i joined the original party on a whim and to be honest while I have no particular problem with them and many of their policies I agree with, they do not serve my current political "ambitions".

So I'm moving... the other reason is that the "destination" party to which I'm moving is a party in which I will be able to become more active.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Just inform some of the members of your local branch next time you see them that you will no longer be coming along to meetings and that you will be leaving. No need for dramatic statements or anything like that, it can be done informally by just letting your branch organiser know, there's no secret handshakes.You could just leave and say nothing but better to part on good terms. It's up to you how much you want to explain your reasons to them, if you even want to explain at all. Then just go along and sign up to the other party.

• Advertisement
Advertisement