Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WiFi between 2 houses

• 15-08-2006 6:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Hello one and all, this may be a simple question but i cant find the answer on here.

What i have is a vodafone 3G data card, i want to share this connection between my house and a house about 30 meters away with clear line of sight, maybe a tree in pat of the way. I have yet to get the linksys vodafone 3G router but know i will need this.

I was thinking i will need a out door wifi antenna of some sort to boost the signal, what i was wondering was will i need a antenna on both ends or will just one do and then at the other end a standard WiFi network card with small areial?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

You'll be better off with an antenna on both ends. I've tried many variations and with only one outdoor CP you'll have nothing but problems.

try the CommandAir from www.wi-pipe.com. they're expensive but very reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Bit expensive for what they are , what is the setup on the far side ? ( the lad who is connecting to you ? ) , pc /laptop ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I am going to hard wire my PC into the router via ethernet, the router connected to some kind of out door aerial and the guy in the other house will be using a PC, with a PCI WiFi card. (maybe also an outdoor areial?)

If you're going to put up outdoor arials make sure you waterproof all connections. I don't know how many times i got a spec of water breaking the link. I'd recommend Denso tape, it's great. And i'm not kidding over 30 metres the signal dies completely. With the Denso tho i have an 8dbi omni transmitting 10 miles no problem.

I've been poking around , found yokes much the same as mentioned above for about 135euro each ( decent supplier , use them a good bit ).
    Anyway, if you want the cheap way out AND the pc in your mates place in on the same side as you , a wireless card and an antenna on the windowsill inside would probably do just fine , linked to one of the yokes i just mentioned at your place.
    Downside ? he will only have one pc connected up & it would have to be at teh front of the house.It could be a bit iffy whether it will work or not properly depending on the wireless card and OS.( I know it WILL work with a linux box and certain wireless cards , after that yer on your own) , you may have to ditch the wireless card and buy another unit after all.

Better option ? buy two of those units and you will have an ethernet cable at each house to play with , he can run this into a wireless domestic AP and he will have wireless around his house (I don't know anything about indoor stuff , lotsa lads here do though )

Good points of using those type units ? Saves you waterproofing hassle , they are ready to go , just power them up and do a bit of config.
    markdunne And i'm not kidding over 30 metres the signal dies completely.

If your signal is ok you're probably seeing ack timing problems ,~ when one end sends out a packet if its not acknowedged in time the AP just ignores it.Hard set into lots of stuff though.

• Advertisement

I am going to hard wire my PC into the router via ethernet, the router connected to some kind of out door aerial and the guy in the other house will be using a PC, with a PCI WiFi card. (maybe also an outdoor areial?)
    You could put the antennas on facing windows indoors , it will work unless the glass is metallic coated.As i said above you may run into ack problems , you will see signal but it just won't work.

bushy... wrote:
    If your signal is ok you're probably seeing ack timing problems ,~ when one end sends out a packet if its not acknowedged in time the AP just ignores it.Hard set into lots of stuff though.

I wish it was just the ACK timing. It went from 50% signal to the client not picking up the AP SSID even. Bushy, what brand are the "yokes" you mentioned? What distance would you get with a 2Mb throughput?

Advertisement