Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pinging A Broadband Router

Options
  • 15-08-2006 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

OK Guys and Gals,

Here is the problem. I have three sites, all with eircom broadband. Site A can ping Site B and vice versa but neither can Ping Site C and Site C cannot ping them.

All 3 are Eircom broadband standard setups so why is it that one of them is unreachable!!

Is there any way to remedy this... I need to know because I am setting up a vpn....

All replies are appreciated!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

What equipment are you using to do this? Are site A and site B currently connected via VPN? I presume all 3 sites have static IP's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 darran_D

All sites are using the standard eircom issue netopia wireless broadband routers thats all. NO VPN's are in play.

Is it possible to request from eircom that the addresses be static?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Yes eircom will give you static IPs. You will pay for them but there handy if you can justify them.

Dyndns is not built in to the nettopia routers functionality so that sucks.

Im not sure but ur nettopia may be ignoreing wan pings. You would need to check the unreachable routers settings.

Also tracert to the ip and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you can request static IPs from eircom - theres a small charge.

eircom were blocking ICMP (ping) in certain parts of their network a while back and may still be doing this. only their support people will be able to tell you for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Static IP's really are the way to go for site to site VPN's.
    Also I'd change the netopia's for equipment that can manage the VPN's themselves. There's some great kit out there (some better than others) that do this and eliminate the need for users having to initiate the connection. All you have to do is set one site to be the Master and have the other 2 dial in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

markdunne wrote:
    Static IP's really are the way to go for site to site VPN's.
    Also I'd change the netopia's for equipment that can manage the VPN's themselves. There's some great kit out there (some better than others) that do this and eliminate the need for users having to initiate the connection. All you have to do is set one site to be the Master and have the other 2 dial in.
    It's a small point, but it's worth bearing in mind that your VPN speed will effectively limited to the upload speed of your DSL connections - so even if you get 3MB DSL connections at each site, your VPN will be limited to 384K.

Advertisement