Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help opening windows.

Options
  • 15-08-2006 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

Our school have the really old type windows.You have a rope that you have to pull to open them.They are sooooo heavy.
    Do you know of any system that we could use to make opening the window easier?
    I was thinking the system I use for my washing line, one of thoses pully windy things.but these windows are really heavy and I think it would just bring half the wall down with it?
    Any ideas.thanks for your help
    Cathy

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

They sound like the old sliding sash windows with the overhead fixed pulley, to open them. maybe reinstalling a stronger fixed pulley, new rope, and free the existing windows , should sort the problem out.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

They may be old sash windows noted by Kadman which may also need new sash cords.

They could be the type used in a lot of National Schools in the 50's early 60's where windows were fitted at a high level to borrow light because of the flat roofs over the hallway.

You might find that years of paint on the mechanism has jammed up the bracket that comes out from the sash.

If I am on the right track the windows open in / down from the top and are hinged on the bottom although that should mean they are equally if not more difficult to close than open.

Either way it might be a job for a skilled joiner to balance the windows using the correct weights and size of the cord.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Rooferpete,kadman thanks so much.At the moment we have a rope which is attatched to a screw thiing.We just pull the rope,it takes about two of us and we twist it around an other thing to hold it in place.
    As all the teachers are women...its to hard to pull the window open.
    Do you think replaceing the cord with a chain and attatching it to a windy thing would work..
    God , I know I sound so thick.I understand what I mean.Shame its only me.:D :D
    Thanks for ALL your help.
    Really , it means a lot.
    Cathy:D

any other suggestions.Have thought about the weights but as there is lots of kids around I dont think it would be safe.
    thanks,
    cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 39,405 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The weights for sash windows are housed inside the frame. They are most likely already there, but damaged

• Advertisement

ok...I think I will get a local carpenter guy to have a look and give us a few ideas.I will have alook and see if there are weights there.
    Turns out school has loads of woodworm, so that another problem to add to the 000, more.
    thanks all,
    Cathy

Advertisement