Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out

Options
  • 15-08-2006 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭

Moving out of my flat soon and need some advice.

Me and two other guys moved into a flat just over 3 1/2 years ago. Signed a 1 year lease, usual stuff. The thing is that those two guys have since moved out and gotten other people to replace them, but the names on the lease was never changed. So basically now I'm just wondering on where we stand with regard to getting our deposit back. Is there any chance that 2/3 of the deposit could be refused because the original two guys aren't around to collect it? Could I collect it all myself or will they insist on returning it to the two other guys individually?

I know the first thing you'll say is look at the lease, but I can't seem to find it so I'd apreciate any general advice on the situation. I suppose it may also be worth mentioning that after the initail lease we never signed another one, so effectively it expired 2 1/2 years ago. Whether this would be to my advantage or not I'm not sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Usually the next one pay the previous tenant the deposit.

Therefore there will be 3 people wanting money if you all move out at the same time. Just because the lease expired does not mean the deposit with the agent is gone - as long as the house is not in bits.

The agent could insist on the other two showing up but I wouldn't think so.

Is everyone in the house leaving? If so go to agent and say "We will be leaving the house on so-and-so date and will want the deposit back after you have inspected the house". That should be fine (own experience).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Beware that since you've been there a while you could be required to give 56 days notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

biko wrote:
    Is everyone in the house leaving? If so go to agent and say "We will be leaving the house on so-and-so date and will want the deposit back after you have inspected the house".
    Yep we're all leaving. I've already informed the agent that we'll be vacating the apartment on a certain date. The place is fine, no reason not to return the deposit, I was just wondering whether they might have an issue returning it to people that weren't on the original lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You are in a weak position because you don't have a copy of the lease or, presumably the inventory which would have been attached to it.

I would ask the agent for a copy of the inventory before moving-out day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JASON24d

If nothing's wrong, then the agent should just give the deposit back. You should've just asked him/her if you need to contact the 2 guys who originally rented the place with you. But if he/she was informed that the 2 guys you first came with were replaced by the others, i guess he/she wouldn't be looking for the original 2 guys. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement