Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decision made - Q's about transport

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 TheBeatMan

Well I went ahead and bought the Philips PF5421.I went to Currys in blanch first and they quoted me €1599 and €200 for the matching cerano stand.I popped around to D.I.D and they said they were selling it for €1599 with an extra 5% off if I bought it that day which took it down to €1525.I went back to Currys and they price matched it and I also got another €50 off the stand so I paid €1675 for the T.V and stand.Delly was absolutely right beautiful looking set.the picture and sound are excellent.I watched The BBC Documentary Planet Earth last night and the picture quality blew me away.Thanks to Delly for the info and encouragement.The neighbours have been knocking on my door all day to have a look and they are impressed big time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well done, you'll have a great Crimbo watching all the films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I've the same T.V. and have a question about the composite (Ext 4) connection.
    I have an xbox 360 hooked up this way and when you go to the instal menu the title is "HD Menu" but you cannot change the resolution settings. From reading the manual you can only do this on the HDMI channels.
    So what's the story here, does the T.V. automatically detect the input or is Ext 4 not Hi-Def ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Jip wrote:
    I've the same T.V. and have a question about the composite (Ext 4) connection.
    I have an xbox 360 hooked up this way and when you go to the instal menu the title is "HD Menu" but you cannot change the resolution settings. From reading the manual you can only do this on the HDMI channels.
    So what's the story here, does the T.V. automatically detect the input or is Ext 4 not Hi-Def ?
    Only the HDMI is HD afaik.

Hmmmm, I see, the 360 looks great on it all the same, would love to see how much better the HD picture is.
    Must pop over to AV forums to see if there's any work around, I've seen composite to DVI converters but none for composite to HDMI.

But it does say "HD Menu" in the instal title as opposed to "Menu" (or is it "T.V. Menu" ?) for the other connections such as the 2 scart ones.

• Advertisement

Ok, Philips Customer Service rang me back regarding I query I raised on their website about this. The lad who rang was a helpful chap, even spotting that I got the details in my mail wrong, I said composite rather than component, something I'm always doing.

Anyway, the component does accept HD signals at the resolution that's supplied to the T.V., it's detected automatically unlike the HDMI inputs where you can manually change from 720p to 1080i etc.

When I first connected the xBox 360 I was messing around with the HD switch on the HD component cable. When I set to it regular T.V. the quality did drop as opposed to when it's set to HD T.V. so that does concur with what I was told over the phone.

Advertisement