Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the Irish Team Versus Holland be the worst since the early 80s?

• 15-08-2006 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

With what seems like all our best players withdrawing from the squad for the Holland friendly.

Will this be the worst team we have put out since the mid 80s?

No Keane, Duff, Given, Dunne, Ireland is a doubt too.

Goalkeepers: P Kenny (Sheffield Utd), W Henderson (Brighton)

Defenders: A O'Brien (Portsmouth), J O'Shea (Man Utd), I Harte (Levante), S Carr (Newcastle Utd), S Kelly (Birmingham), Jonathan Douglas

Midfielders: L Miller (Man Utd), S Reid (Blackburn), G Kavanagh (Wigan), S Ireland (Man City), K Kilbane (Everton), A O'Brien (Newcastle Utd), A McGeady (Celtic),

Strikers: K Doyle (Reading), C Morrison (Crystal Palace), S Elliott (Sunderland) D Murphy (Sunderland)

Oh and this was my 1000th post :D

Will the Irish Team Versus Holland be the worst since the early 80s? 39 votes

Oh it's a Shocking team, I'd almost get in myself!
    0%
    Sure it's not that bad, build for the future and all that.
    48%
    astrofoolcournioniDrag00n79evilhomerChucky the treeMisterAnarchyDampsquidLagunadubmickHippo_blank_bohsmanJuan PabloDrapperDavei141Royale with CheeseMarcaisPrincess Consuela BananahammockKeith C 19 votes
    It's a brilliant team that will rip Holland to pieces, grrr!
    51%
    gandalfSeanehGuanYinvorbiswoodygbizmarkThe_B_ManAPMSundyBig EarsBaZmO*ulluAndrew 83[Deleted User]YeatsCountySpider_Baby!MBCwba88gustavoNalz 20 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Kenny
    Carr
    O'Shea
    O'Brien
    Kelly
    ----McGeady
    Reid
    Kilbane

K Doyle----Elliott---- Morrisson

Would do me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Errr its a friendly the idea is to give the fringe players a run, I'm delighted. The sooner we loose this mentality that we have to win every friendly the better and treat it like most teams do a proper test of all the resources available to us. Otherwise its the same 11 trotting out and we are fubared if any of them get injured with untried players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Finnan injured too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Dunno but Carr would have started anyway, after stan begging him back and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭wba88

i thought i heard harte was out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I wasn't saying that I mind blooding new young players, what I was asking is will it be our worst team in years?

It's close to our first qualifier and it would be nice to field a strong team for the first half anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

gandalf wrote:
    Errr its a friendly the idea is to give the fringe players a run, I'm delighted. The sooner we loose this mentality that we have to win every friendly the better and treat it like most teams do a proper test of all the resources available to us. Otherwise its the same 11 trotting out and we are fubared if any of them get injured with untried players.
    The idea of a friendly is to see how the fringe players play alongside the established players and to try out different formations as well as every now and again blood young/new players.

I don't see what you gain from playing a full squad of, or next to full of players that wouldn't start in a normal competitive match. Granted that this time Stan doesn't really have a choice in the matter.

You're dead right about the results of friendlies not mattering though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

theres only one liam miller

Ireland 5 - 0 Holland

Miller first goalscorer and mom, dead cert bet!
    its a friendly with the league starting in 3 or 4 days.McCarthy put out just as bad teams in his early days with his 3 - 5 - 2 and McPhail, Babb etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Is Finnan even in the squad originally? There's no reports of him injured.

wba88 wrote:
    i thought i heard harte was out?

yeah harte is out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Andy reid injured as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Andy Reid looked terribly unfit and slow during the Chile friendly. Anyone know if things have changed since then? If not there is no point in giving him a run-out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Stephen Reid, as much as I like the player and admit he had a great season last year, should not be captain of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Team is definitely not going to be the worst since the early 80s. Over recent years (France 98 qualifiers for instance) we fielded plenty of poor teams. In fact, given the fact that Given, Dunne, Duff, and Keane are arguably 4 of our 5 best players (if Finnan's out I'd say all of our 5 best) and all out it's not that bad a team at all. Rip Rooney, Gerrard, Terry, Lampard, and Owen out of England and they'd not look great either.

Think Kilbane should have got captaincy for the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

What no-one picked the bottom option ?

It will be tough but it's only a friendly that's pre-season so Holland can have an excuse when we tear them to pieces.

Grrrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I don't see what's that great about the current Holland team in honesty. Aside from Robben, Van der Vaart and maybe Van Persie, they are a pretty average team. And Van Basten's a bit of a lunatic. Don't get me wrong, they're way better than us, but they won't tear us to shreds - I reckon they'll win by a goal.

and who else is there to captain the side? Morrison, Kilbane, O Shea? eh NO. imo he's the only one available that has bite in his play and leadership qualities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Steven Carr maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Andy reid injured as well?

yeah he hurt his arm lifting his 100th pork pie of the day.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Oh Dear, Oh Dear.

Shocking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

After a ticket debacle, I ended up paying to see that disasterous display of ineptitude TWICE.
    Horrible defending, couldn't hold the ball, and only bad refereeing kept Stauntan out of the record books for the equal-worst loss in our history.
    Nightmare.

I agree that friendlies are there for trying out players, and I'm glad we rested 'injured' players in advance of the Germany game, but it's hard to picture anything other than a bad loss in Stuffgart too. On form like that, even with the players, we'd be lucky to scrape a point from both games. The dark times are back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

d22ontour wrote:
    What no-one picked the bottom option ?

It will be tough but it's only a friendly that's pre-season so Holland can have an excuse when we tear them to pieces.

Grrrr.

3 picked the bottom option.....:o :o on their behalfs

Advertisement