Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting my webpage - what are my options?

Options
  • 15-08-2006 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I'm developing a website and am just wondering what are the different options available to me as regards getting it up on the internet.
    I'd prefer to be able to give it my own domain name and would also prefer to keep it clear of sponsors and the like. But I suppose I'd hafta pay for it then yeah? Any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

In my personal opinion...
    http://www.hosting365.com or http://www.blacknight.ie
    Can get up and running with a domain and hosting for around 60 a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

there are hundreds of options for hosts. mostly in the uk, only a few in this country. if its a basic website your doing, ie not much bandwith usage, the cheaper the host the better. aslong as they have a good uptime record. Anytime i use hosting ( ranging from game servers to web hosting ) i always ask for proof of their uptime, as alot of places state 99.5% uptime. Which is mostly bollocks.blacknight do a decent package from 2.95€ a month. then all you have ot do is buy your domain. Which can be bought from many different companys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 myownslave

And how much would it cost to buy a domain? I'd like to buy one in Ireland so it's www.___.ie - could you recommend any companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

you could get a .com for €9, a .ie can cost €99 and I think that it has to have your companies name or personal name

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Blacknight are doing .ie domains for around €30-40 at the moment - they give a free blog, but you need to pay for hosting if you want more than that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 myownslave

Cheers for all the help lads! Any recommended companies for a .com then? And are the proces you've listed a once off or are they per year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

myownslave wrote:
    Any recommended companies for a .com then?
    Beh, I usually just buy the domain with whoever I'm chosing for my hosting... less hassle.
    myownslave wrote:
    And are the proces you've listed a once off or are they per year?
    Per year... if you don't renew, you lose the domain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

It's usually simpler to buy the domain and hosting in the same place - especially if it's a .ie domain.

Advertisement