Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3700+ > Fx55?

Options
  • 15-08-2006 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, how reliable is this sis sandra benchmark that i've attached. My current 3700+ is operating at 2.75Ghz, 175MHz faster than a stock FX55. As they are the same core (San Diego) is it actually the same. I mean i'm considering getting an FX 55, i'm just wondering will I see much increase in performance, or is my 3700+ giving me the same performance as an FX55?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

looks like it from that. Check www.tomshardware.com and navigate to their interactive cpu chart, Run the same benchmark on your pc, and compare the results. ie if a fx55 gets 8930 points for the cpu test in 3dmark 05 and you get 9130 then you know the answer

Does any of that make sense ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Going from a 3700+ to an FX55 should show an improvement but going from an overclocked 3700+ to FX55 would show little or no improvement :(
    Get an X2..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

But is that all there is in the difference? Clock speed? I mean are they the exact same architecture and everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Yes. Did you think they were special or something? The FX range are usually just the current top of the line Athlon 64 chips with maybe twice the L2 cache.
    Once a faster Athlon 64 is released they drop the current FX chip in favour of a faster one....
    AMD don't make FX55's anymore, I think they're up to FX62 now.

right so. I guess i'll be aiming for a dual core then. Won't be going conroe just yet. Its sickening all the cheap gear going up for sale on adverts now, after I spent full wack only 5 months ago. I'll just hang around until someone with a dual core gets the conroe bug then happy days for me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

fx55 has unlocked multi which may overclock better
    so an overclocked fx55 will probably be better than your overclocked chip at the moment but you would be better off with dual core, a dual core opty was on sale on adverts recently, dont know if it sold or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

I've hit 3ghz on my fx-55, didn't push it any further but I'm confident it'd go a good bit beyond that. It's currently running happy as larry at 2.9ghz.
    L31mr0d if you're interested, I'll be selling my 55 in a while...

Yeah there was an opty on there, it slipped through my fingers though, I was playing the bid a little, raise a little game when somebody jumped in with the asking. In fairness you can get an oem opty 165 off ebay for €200 with shipping (always email the guy for cheaper shipping).

Is there any difference between an OEM Opty and a retail one? I know with the FX55's the difference was an OEM was 130nm core and the retail was 90nm. Would there be much loss in performance with an OEM opty? (i.e. would it overclock as well, i'm not quite up to speed on the best steppings for 165's?)

This is the one i'm talking about: Opteron 165

L31mr0d wrote:
    Is there any difference between an OEM Opty and a retail one? I know with the FX55's the difference was an OEM was 130nm core and the retail was 90nm. Would there be much loss in performance with an OEM opty? (i.e. would it overclock as well, i'm not quite up to speed on the best steppings for 165's?)

incorrect.... there was a 130nm version of the fx55 and a 90nm version both used different cores and had an oem and retail
    reatil just has a box and a heatsink with it and warrenty
    oem doesnt, simple as that

and google will give u links to sites with list of steppings

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Get an FX-60 :)

• Advertisement

gline wrote:
    incorrect.... there was a 130nm version of the fx55 and a 90nm version both used different cores and had an oem and retail
    reatil just has a box and a heatsink with it and warrenty
    oem doesnt, simple as that

and google will give u links to sites with list of steppings

I wasn't clear, I wasn't saying that ALL OEMs where clawhammer, just that the ones that where selling on Ebay where, which is why there where selling for cheap. I'm just wondering if there is a reason why the OEM Opterons are selling for so cheap on Ebay? Is there a difference to the ones that are retailed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

If they give the steppings on ebay check it out. Doubt theres any difference between the OEM/Retail although the HSF with the retail is top notch.

no.. just that they dont have a warrenty with them or box/heatsink, so no rma'ing which makes a big differnece i suppose and no heatsink,will set you back a few quid if u dont have one

Ok just found this wiki on opterons. Seems the one on Ebay I was looking has a pretty bad stepping. BTW, what does it mean by "coldbugged" when refering to steppings?

L31mr0d wrote:
    Ok just found this wiki on opterons. Seems the one on Ebay I was looking has a pretty bad stepping. BTW, what does it mean by "coldbugged" when refering to steppings?

means @ certain minus temps the cpu wont boot at anything over the default fsb or boot at all
    google "opteron coldbug"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

"Coldbug" relates to problems encountered when Phase/Extereme Cooling said Chips.

Advertisement