Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tramore Train information needed

• 15-08-2006 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has some useful links for the Tramore train that used to run.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The only line in Ireland that was "standalone".

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What a pity they closed this. Imagine the potential it could have nowadays.

7 months to lay the line, great going. Would take Irish Rail 17 years to build same nowadays..and thats after the first 15 years of consultant reports and planning!
    Dargan(from Carlow I think) was indeed a great man for the south east railways in particular.If only we could have his vision nowadays in transport..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

mfitzy wrote:
    What a pity they closed this. Imagine the potential it could have nowadays.

7 months to lay the line, great going. Would take Irish Rail 17 years to build same nowadays..and thats after the first 15 years of consultant reports and planning!
    Dargan(from Carlow I think) was indeed a great man for the south east railways in particular.If only we could have his vision nowadays in transport..

The only thing that can make things right is man with an iron fist (literally & metaphorically). You can't build a tram or a rail line in this country anymore. Roads are a struggle. You can't knock an old house or build a shopping centre. Nothing is possible anymore... :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

merlante wrote:
    You can't build a tram or a rail line in this country anymore. Roads are a struggle. You can't knock an old house or build a shopping centre. Nothing is possible anymore... :(

You can, you just need lots and lots of money and envelopes ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Cabaal wrote:

And the pure ignorance to want to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Bards

Ah but what about the poor rare Ferns (Dungarvan Outer bypass), Rare snails (Held up the Kildare Bypass - If I remember correctly!!), Trees that can't be cut down because of the tree huggers(held up Glen Of-The-Downs DC)

and last but not least Don't forget the McCan't(s) of this World

Cabaal wrote:

To be honest, I'm sick of this sort of talk. I don't believe that a significant number of politicians in this country (bar the few bad apples you get everywhere) take bribes. And I definitely don't think that Bord Planala take bribes.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if some of them did take a few bribes, we might be able to sort ourselves out.

Bards wrote:
    Ah but what about the poor rare Ferns (Dungarvan Outer bypass), Rare snails (Held up the Kildare Bypass - If I remember correctly!!), Trees that can't be cut down because of the tree huggers(held up Glen Of-The-Downs DC)

and last but not least Don't forget the McCan't(s) of this World

Isin't Ireland such a very special place all of a sudden?

A lot of the most scenic parts of Ireland are only visible because a road or a rail line was put through there. We have to cop on in this country.

merlante wrote:
    Isin't Ireland such a very special place all of a sudden?

A lot of the most scenic parts of Ireland are only visible because a road or a rail line was put through there. We have to cop on in this country.

I totally agree!
    We need to build more roads, railway lines and buildings in all scenic area's, its the only way to progress in this country.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote:
    I totally agree!
    We need to build more roads, railway lines and buildings in all scenic area's, its the only way to progress in this country.
    :rolleyes:

Oh yeah sure, so when I say some rail lines and roads are good, that means I want every square inch of the country taken over by tarmac and steel, right? :rolleyes: I'm in *that* category now, am I? The world is not black and white you know, it's full of colour.

The point is that, you can't even put a dirt track through a forest without displacing some form of wildlife...

I think that having a rail line to Tramore would be great. But we couldn't do it now. Why? Because, a) The marshland in between is a unique habitat that is endangered, b) This marshland supports a rare bog fly, c) You wouldn't get planning permission for anything high or low, narrow or wide, within an asses roar of Waterford city.

I, for one, find this a depressing state of affairs.

(And *no* I didn't think they should have bulldozed the Woodstown viking site. Some things are actually worth keeping, if you can avoid them.)

Advertisement