Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ugh, not more.......this isnt funny anymore admins.

Options
  • 15-08-2006 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Now, the "find all POSTS BY" thing members have had is no longer there, only "find all threads STARTED BY"............ c'mon, this IS taking the pi$$.
    Some of us PAID just to have these little things back. Whats next, members lose the right to post more than once a day? :mad:

(Sorry, but I'm rather pissed off about this, I PAID for a membership because I NEEDED this for a damned good reason).

b
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Maybe this might help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah I totally understand your frustration mate (although I don't pay ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Ruu,
    I read that but how do I get to it? When I hit search I just get thrown to the usual 2 box bare-search

b

(sorry if im not understanding somthing obvious).

And even still, does'nt that only allow you to search a specific thread?

b

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Search-> Advanced -> Arrows pointing down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

This should do it, press the arrow button on the right.

edit:what karoma said. :)

[strike]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/searchbt.php#top
    Perhaps?[/strike] Collapses...

Pidgin: how about making it expanded by default to avoid confusion?

Thanks Karoma, seems to work, painfully slowly but hey, cant have everything. ;)
    Maybe Im just stupid, the arrows thing looks miniscule to me, and clicking the words "advanced search" was just sending me back to the main page.

Sorry for the rant, I spose im just settled in my ways.

b

edit...
    Hang on, just searched my own name and posts are missing. argh!

Yeah, I just tried searching your nick there too: It took approx 2mins. It's going to be missing posts as it's new...
    [strike]It's a good trade-off in the end though (The functionality + improved Boards.ie performance)[/strike]
    Perhaps Pidgin or an admin could explain what/how much it will make available and when?

Tbh, not really a good trade-off for me.
    Heres hoping a way is figured out to make it search properly, at least as good as the last one did.... can't help feeling like the service I paid for has been "downgraded". I only paid because of the full searching options, if its no longer available or not working as well as it *was* (for the user), then I may as well not have.

b

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Afaik it doesn't search for all posts by a specific, it searches for all threads started by them.
    Some of us PAID just to have these little things back.
    I could be wrong here but I didn't think there was an option to pay to get these features ?

You could only have the ability to search by user (without using silly workarounds) if you were a member.

b

[strike]"thread by username" means "Threads created by username"? (In announcement)[/strike]
    It does. Silly me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

You could only have the ability to search by user (without using silly workarounds) if you were a member.

b

Subscribing does not make you immune from system wide changes or faults. Subscibing gets you some extra features and not a guarantee of service. Think of it more like a donation being rewarded.

Also it does not make you immune from me having the opinion you're a moron. Which you are of course not because you are a subscriber and only the intelligent ones CAN MASTER THE ART OF MONEY!!

amp wrote:
    Subscribing does not make you immune from system wide changes or faults. Subscibing gets you some extra features and not a guarantee of service. Think of it more like a donation being rewarded.

Also it does not make you immune from me having the opinion you're a moron. Which you are of course not because you are a subscriber and only the intelligent ones CAN MASTER THE ART OF MONEY!!

Thank you for your input amp, useful & elightening as always. :rolleyes:
    (Its ok that you think I am a "moron", its nothing compared to my opinion of yourself.
    However, posting a comment then finishing it with a personal insult, dosent seem all that clever either. Unless you yourself think mods are entitled to insult people and be untouchable purely because you are a mod?).

As for "think of it more like a donation being rewarded"... I will think of it how I like thanks, boards.ie is not a charity, money is made all sorts of ways, maybe not much or enough, but it is. I didnt particularly want to "donate" but I did need access to a particular service, access to which required a payment. I aquired the funds and paid. No problem with that at all on that score.
    That a clear enough explaination for you dear old amp?

*sigh* Im off to bed.

b

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Anyone else notice that at the end of end forum, the list of active users is gone??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Anyone else notice that at the end of end forum, the list of active users is gone??? :confused:

Thats gone for the moment, as it is using up server resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

Thank you for your input amp, useful & elightening as always. :rolleyes:
    (Its ok that you think I am a "moron", its nothing compared to my opinion of yourself.
    However, posting a comment then finishing it with a personal insult, dosent seem all that clever either. Unless you yourself think mods are entitled to insult people and be untouchable purely because you are a mod?).

As for "think of it more like a donation being rewarded"... I will think of it how I like thanks, boards.ie is not a charity, money is made all sorts of ways, maybe not much or enough, but it is. I didnt particularly want to "donate" but I did need access to a particular service, access to which required a payment. I aquired the funds and paid. No problem with that at all on that score.
    That a clear enough explaination for you dear old amp?

*sigh* Im off to bed.

b

You should go read the terms and conditions of your subscriptions.A search fuction isn't mentioned anywhere. No only that, it's been mentioned several times that subscribers shouldn't become too attachted to the service and definitely shouldn't subscribe just for it, as it may leave them pissed of later on.

Since your so "rage against the machine" here, you might tell us for how many months the admins promised you this service.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I didnt particularly want to "donate" but I did need access to a particular service, access to which required a payment.
    Unfortunatly the 'service' which you paid for wasn't actually a service being offered in exchange for payment. It just so happens that as part of stress testing the server, access to it hadn't yet been removed from subscribers, and as Carnivore says, it was mentioned many times that this was likely to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

All I want is to be able to see my post history. This seems perfectly reasonable. I have tried the advanced search but have not yet got beyond the loading dog - it seems never to end.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

stevenmu wrote:
    Unfortunatly the 'service' which you paid for wasn't actually a service being offered in exchange for payment.
    That's exactly it. It was never pointed out at any time, that the full search was a benefit which was provided only to subscribed members. It was left on only for subscribed members and mods, but that's only because they're the least numerous.

Eventually the search will be switched on again for all users - will you be equally annoyed then that the thing you paid for is now being given away for free?

If you can point out the thread/announcement which led you to believe this was a purchasable feature, then I'll remove any such notions from that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The lack of search annoyed me too, but put it in perspective, it's either no search, or no boards (or boards that is so slow you can't get any pages to load, or falls over constantly).
    I don't use the Boardtracker search though, I think it's awful, I haven't found anything I'm looking for with that so now I just don't bother. I've learned to live without the search and I find I don't need it anymore. Though that would probably change if the search came back, but in the meantime it doesn't bother me much anymore.

BTW, I just remembered you owe me a Warioware :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There goes my favourite little search yoke. I could stalk myself and others so easily. :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I could stalk myself and others so easily. :(

And there we have it folks, the silver lining to a very black Cloud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BoardTracker

Regarding the slowness with the 'search threads by user' - that has been fixed.. there was a slight bug on our side.. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

why dont you just restrict the lenght the search goes back, or add long delays in between searchs, or auto subscribe users to threads.... something to allow users to keep track of their most recent posts automatically

if other sites can have search, why not boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BoardTracker

bounty wrote:
    why dont you .. auto subscribe users to threads.... something to allow users to keep track of their most recent posts automatically

You can actually do that here as far as I know.. just go to 'edit options' in your UserCP and look for 'Default Thread Subscription Mode'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

We have disabled vB search until we solve our load issues.

If you want a refund, NP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

One other thing on searching with BoardTracker, any chance of getting rid of that bloody dog graphic? It's just plain annoying...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I think this thread highlights the misconception that attaches to the term "subscriber".

A subscriber pays in his money to a service and is entitled to some contractual benefits in return. Some people seem to have "subscribed" in the genuine belief that it would bestow upon them certain privileges without realizing that it doesn't. Perhaps they wouldn't have if they were not confused by an inapt term?

A benefactor donates unconditionally and gets appreciation/kudos in return perhaps more but nothing is ever implied or guaranteed.

In reality there are no subscribers on boards, those of use who choose to donate are just donors/benefactors but definitely not subscribers.

The term should be changed to "benefactor" perhaps to put an end to similar threads.

My 2c.

Advertisement