Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macromedia Flash Interview question

Options
  • 16-08-2006 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,766 ✭✭✭✭

okay apols if I should have posted this elsewhere, but wanted the software engineers point of view on this

What (if you were asked in an interview) would be disadvantages/advantages of using macromedia flash, and what/where would you use it the most?

thanks

Trilla

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

Personally, my take on the pros and cons are:

pros: It's available on a lot of platforms. (However see cons)
    * Small deliverables.
    * Vector graphics, means that non-bitmap stuff can scale really well, up to huge sizes.

cons: Actionscript (at least for version 7) is a pain - their debugger was uber-unhelpful, its answer to everything was "There is an error". I found that less than helpful.
    * It's a closed standard. If Adobe want to change everything, they can.
    * It's now very windows-centric (not that it already wasn't), but when it was owned by Macromedia they threw non-windows users a bone and supplied linux versions of flash. However, the last version they did that with was version 7. So if you want to write anything multiplatform, you write in version 7, see YouTube and Google Video.

But that's just off the top of my head, I don't use Flash too much.

Aoife

Advertisement