Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5 MMORPG on the Net

Options
  • 16-08-2006 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

1. WOW (duh)
    2. Lineage
    3. Lineage II
    4.Runescape
    5. FF XI

I don't know why RS is hated so much? Its getting extremely popular quick.

Course still nothing to WoW.

Subscriptions_12473_image001.gif
    http://www.mmogchart.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

I'm a little out of sync with MMORPG's these days, used to play UO and DAOC. Anyone any ideas as to the most popular PVP oriented game out these days? I really miss the stealth classes in daoc, nothing quite like stalking other players with the intention of killing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

WHERE THE FECK IS EVE ONLINE!??!!! :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

R0ot wrote:

the small yellow portion of the circle...but its definatly a case of quality, not quantity here.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deadlocked

R0ot wrote:

lol did you even look?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

R0ot wrote:

eve is small 1% but **** who wants to be a god damn elf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Hellm0 wrote:
    I'm a little out of sync with MMORPG's these days, used to play UO and DAOC. Anyone any ideas as to the most popular PVP oriented game out these days? I really miss the stealth classes in daoc, nothing quite like stalking other players with the intention of killing them.

There isn't one at the moment. WoW might be the closest, but it's pvp system is very poor compared to daoc. There is also Guild Wars, but it's pvp is arena teamplay. The next big pvp mmorpg on the horizon will be Warhammer Online. While I haven't really been following development too closely I'm not sure you shoud count on there being stealth anything like there was in DAOC, mythic has known for years their implementation in DAOC was flawed so is unlikely to make the same mistakes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Hellm0 wrote:

Eve online is very pvp centered you can go live in 0.0 where any ship can be attacked or can attack you and also you could train to use stelth bombers or force recon ships for sneaky stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

OSiriS wrote:
    mythic has known for years their implementation in DAOC was flawed so is unlikely to make the same mistakes again.
    It was flawed? The stealth classes were amongst the most fun to play, if only on PvP server. I never really liked them on the other servers, I preffered good old one on one combat(Ie me knocking seven shades of **** out of some cloth wearing elf)

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

Runescape -> why? 6% is shocking to see and I'm also surprised at everquest still holding 1.6%...

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

:eek: I didn't realise WoW had that much of a market lead, more than every other MMORPG combined. Crazy.

And I'm very suprised at Eve, just 1%? I'd choose Eve if I was to start playing a subscription MMORPG again though. Now imagine Eve with 53% of the market. :D Eh, if you forget about lag... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deadlocked

zekiel wrote:
    Runescape -> why? 6% is shocking to see and I'm also surprised at everquest still holding 1.6%...

grr..... Runescape is good!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

:eek: I didn't realise WoW had that much of a market lead, more than every other MMORPG combined. Crazy.

it does have over 6 million current subscribers...bloody hell, thats alot of cash. say...
    [Maths]
    6 million people buy the game = 6000000 * 30 (roughly)
    6 million people pay 12.99 a month = 6000000 * 12.99 (again, roughly)
    [/Maths]

thats 210 millions from the game sales, and roughly 985 million every year from subscribers....holy ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

As far as upcoming PvP MMO's go Warhammer Online is definately one to watch, however with EA recently buying Mythic, my hopes for this game have gone down a few notches.

The other game i'm keeping an eye on is DarkFall Online. True PvP freedom. If the developers manage to pull off half of what they promise then this game will rock the house. Some of the main features...

Player built cities that can be sieged and conquered.
    Mounted combat.
    Naval warfare. Pilot huge ships and engage other ships at sea. Board the enemy ships and if you kill them all you can keep the ship for yourself.
    Entirely hand-crafted world.
    Control of world recources to produce weapons and armor
    Full loot but items are easily obtainable.
    Strategic combat affected by the terrain and realistic weather effects.
    Skill based.

This is only the tip of the iceberg. It really is looking to be a great game and some of the recent screenshots look very nice. I'm certainly keeping an eye on it and will probably be trying it when it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Allieluha, sing it brother :p

I seem to remember you mentioning this game a long while ago, and me having a similar reaction ;)

Sounds fantastic, cant wait.
    /me awaits with bated breath.

Yeah, the game has been very long in development, and I've been following it for a few years now. Thankfully it seems to be one where the developers kept going and growing as a company and didn't turn into vapor ware. There was a short time where nothing new was coming out and there was little new info as they were in the middle of their dev cycle. It was a bad time to be a DF fan :)

But things are much better now with weekly updates, screen shots and what not. Which leads most of us to believe that they are nearing closed beta at the very least in the upcoming months, though you're still looking at a release next summer probably but who knows.

I'll keep you guys updated if any new big news comes out but meanwhile u can check out the weekly updates from their forums on www.darkfallonline.com

I'm looking forward to Pirates of the Burning Sea most of all, looks like it could be alotta fun.

But yeah, out of the more traditional MMORPG's Darkfall looks the business. Vanguard was another one, but that's looking dated before it's even released...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

what do you think is the main reason for the WOW success?

Brand, quality, support?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    what do you think is the main reason for the WOW success?

Brand, quality, support?

people with double digit IQ's can play it without their brow getting sweaty.

<edit> oh and its looks purdy or something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I think brand and accessibility is the reason for its success, its quality and support need alot to be desired but then, that could be due to its success.

Also, there is the competition. As much as people like to harp on about their favourite there are serious flaws with every mmorpg out there, it just so happens that WoW's ones are less important to the majority of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

had a look at that upcoming pirates mmo...man i want a bit of that action.

*though i still wait for a proper ww2 battleship/carrier/u-boat mmo (i know there's one out there but its not that great).

• Advertisement

I looked at the pirate MMO, but it honestly seems too carebear to provide any real thrill. It looks like it's PvP is gonna be very "wow like". Darkfall will have everything it has and more :P

Sure, the PvP will more than likely be alot lighter than other MMORPGs, but it looks fun, a bit different and fresh. The novely might wear off quickly, but there's some interesting features like port control and...eh...well, pirates! Name a MMORPG that hasn't got a pirate guild! Everybody wants to be a pirate... ;)

Also I may be wrong, but won't Pirates be the first MMORPG based in a real location with real nations (1720's Caribbean apparently)? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

tbh, I like the PVP in EQ2 alot, sure there's some flaws in the system since EQ2 wasn't a pvp centric game at first, but damn it's addictive. I could never ever say that about the pvp in WoW, especially after they implemented the honor system.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Why so popular? Ask the data source:
    Starting with the release of World of Warcraft, everything we thought we knew about the size of the market changed. Not only was World of Warcraft a success, but also it far outstripped any other subscription-based MMOG to date, and surpassed even the loftiest of expectations. While the majority of WoW’s subscribers are in China, it now has over 1 million in Europe and probably somewhere between 1.5 and 2 million in North America, making it a true market phenomenon. A good deal of WoW’s success comes for the Blizzard brand, which brought in a lot of new gamers into the market who had never subscribed to an MMOG before, but the came also set a new bar for the amount of content, ease of use, and level of polish expected from a top-tier MMOG title. WoW’s expected market rival, SOE’s EverQuest II, never really achieved the same level of market acceptance. The impact of WoW has been felt on almost all existing MMOG titles, most notably Dark Age of Camelot, EverQuest, and Lineage I and II.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭WTF_L2P_n00b

Have you seen the latest WHO screenshots, it is indistinguishable from WoW.

Have a look at this gameplay snippet and tell me how it is any different to WoW FFS.

http://mmorpg.qj.net/It-s-WarHAMMER-not-WarCRAFT-ya-Geddit-/pg/49/aid/63796

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Hopefully Conan will do well. It seems to have everything you would want in a MMO
    but Ive yet to hear about what teaming and communication is like.

The only thing that looks similar is the UI. Blizzard don't have the patent on that UI, they adopted it as an evolution of every other UI that has come before it. More people will be familiar with it seeing as WoW is the dominant MMORPG atm which may be why blizzard chose to use a similar design. The game graphics aren't very similar, WoW goes for cartoony images, while Warhammer is grittier. If you want to point the fingers at who is ripping off whom, go look at the artwork the games workshop produced long before blizzard was ever formed.

• Advertisement

Same UI, slightly grittier Grpahics......hmmmm

Point is it must distinguish itself from WoW to succeed, and at the moment it doesn't.

I also doubt Mystic / EA's ability to deliver a working infrastructure........Blizz had years of MMORPG experience and now has 3 years of running PTS and live WoW servers and still can't get it right half the time, what chance does EA have?

We shall see, but too many people view WHO as the holy grail of the genre, when the odds are actually stacked well against it ever succeeding.....

.....I live in hope, but prepare to be deeply dissappointed.

Re: the GW v's Blizz who ripped who off comment......I would say that they have each taken influence from each other to reach where they are today.

Advertisement