Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4,600 fail maths. Thats around 1 in 11

Options
  • 16-08-2006 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I hope I'm not 1 of them but it got me thinking of how they (me included possibly) will feel tomorrow.
    Most of them will have no alternative but to repeat.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 290 ✭✭Tak3n

will someone explain PLC courses to me? Do i NEED to pass maths to do one of them? how do i apply? whats available? etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Particle-Boy

I'm scared now.. What the HELL am I doing on this site now!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

No. you dont need to pass maths.
    There are loads of options.
    www.fetac.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

1 in 10? That's not in the least bit surprising. In fact, it's lower than I would have thought.

Edit: On a second look, it;s a bit high. THis is why posting on first reactions is bad >.<

EditEdit: Looking through the article it's 12% at Ordinary, 4,600/51,000 9% overall and no trace of a stat for higher level. Anyone know how many people did higher maths this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

isn't maths a tad bit too hard..

• Advertisement

Raphael wrote:
    1 in 10? That's not in the least bit surprising. In fact, it's lower than I would have thought.

...well considerin I may have failed maths, I might have got that figure wrong.
    I based it on 51,000 people doing results and 4,600 failing. Now you do the maths. I've no calculator but it seems to be around 1 in 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Steoob wrote:
    No, because it has to maintain a certain level so people can gauge their abilities for maths based college courses.

If you don't get at least a B in honours maths you'll never handle a lot of college courses e.g. Eng, Maths etc.,

Sangre wrote:
    If you don't get at least a B in honours maths you'll never handle a lot of college courses e.g. Eng, Maths etc.,

Well thats me fcuked so:D :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Crap I taught it wud be marked easy doesnt look likey that I will get my B in pass maths!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

4,600 is not one tenth of 51,000..

51,000 / 4,600 = 11

1 in 11 .... not ten..

• Advertisement

On another point, I just tries www.examinations.ie to get my results on the off chance that they'd be there early but it didnt work.

Shrimp wrote:
    4,600 is not one tenth of 51,000..

51,000 / 4,600 = 11

1 in 11 .... not ten..

.....like I said I think I failed.
    Now how do you go about editing a thread title?????

Edit: Done. Thanks Shrimp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

Steoob wrote:

Too easy if anything but you defintely shouldn't need a pass in ordinary maths to do a freaking French course. :rolleyes:

good work son.

What you planning on doing? need maths?

whassupp2: What level did you do?

Civil Engineering. Need a C3 in honours.
    If I dont get it but pass I can do a diploma and then a degree.

Its just the difference between 4 years in college or 5??
    But if I fail maths altogether its back to LC 2007 for me.

How about yourself???

Raphael wrote:
    whassupp2: What level did you do?

Honours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

First Eng Maths aint hard. You'll probably do better then you think. easy to get a C in honours maths.

First Eng Maths aint hard. You'll probably do better then you think. easy to get a C in honours maths.

Cheers. My brother did it and he was fairly poor at maths.

I was never aloud to do higher level maths :mad: thing what really pissed me off about 10ppl got lower then me and they got moved up & they taught that there was no point because I wudnt be able for higher level maths and wud just drop down in a week or two. Then when I was coming out with 100%s in class my teacher(diff 1 that told me I wudnt be able) told me that I really should have done higher level maths and I shud consider moving up for the next year but it never came out tho :rolleyes:

But that was years ago!!

7 & 1/2 hours :eek:

• Advertisement

whassupp2: Then relax the cacks mate! Just do the maths.

It says 4600 out of 51000 failed. that's 1/11 over all. Bust a fair few of them were ordinary level. If we assume that half the country did honours:

25,500 to pass. 12% of that is 3060. 4600-3060= 1540. 1540/25,500 = 6% at higher

If we assume that one third did honours:

34,000 to pass. 12% of that is 4080. 4600-4080=520. 520/17,000= 3% at higher

If we assume that one quarter did honours:

38,250 to pass. 12% of that is 4590. 4600-4590 = 10. I won;t bother with the percentage.

So you see, the percentage failing higher will not be that nasty. Hence the reason the times didn't print it. Bloody shock tactics. Anyone know how actually did honours maths?

I'm hoping to be in NCAD. They have accepted me, I need the CAO to now. 2 Honours 4 Passes or better. Not a massive requirement really. I'd take the bare minimum to get in right now rather than gamble and wait untill tomorrow. I think most people would.

You should be grand. In my opinion, I think college for 5 years would better than lc again.

Cheers for the help. I better be off to get some sleep. Good night and Good luck.

Sleep is for the weak!! :D

Best of luck 2moro

whassupp2 wrote:
    Cheers for the help. I better be off to get some sleep. Good night and Good luck.
    Good plan, sleep will help with the stress. You'll do grand. =)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The pass/fail rates are more or less the same every year - they have to be, otherwise people would treat Leaving Certs like vintage wine - 199* being an 'easier' year than 199*.

Where there are major difficulties across the board with a paper, the marking scheme is adjusted so that the percentages line up.

Year to year, the percentage of failures doesn't change greatly.

Anyway, nothing anyone can do now. I hope it goes OK for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

Just heading to get mine and ****ting it! One lad in the country got 9 A1's :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Huys thank ogd I pased honours maths! i got a C2 i cnt beleive that!! But im not counting that! but still Im so happy I passed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I passed by the skin of my teeth :o But I needed a C3.

• Advertisement

...I got an A1...

*flees*

Advertisement