Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Favourite Dance Music Band Of All Time

• 16-08-2006 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

Can only list 10 but the 10 ive chosen im sure most will agree are in a class of their own,ive chosen the legendary ORBITAL,for me they were the greatest dance act of all time,amazing,we'll be lucky to ever see the likes again.:)

Who Is Your Favourite Dance Act Ever? 22 votes

Orbital
    0%
    Basement Jaxx
    18%
    HelixJoeSchmoejonny68Blu Eyz 4 votes
    Underworld
    4%
    melekalikimaka 1 vote
    The Orb
    4%
    johnny_rambo 1 vote
    The Prodigy
    0%
    Daft Punk
    40%
    tmanSeanie MdeisedollyGriff7sideFXmarkk06harryballsLunaCMillie Mac 9 votes
    Faithless
    22%
    ZascarRobin1982Rollo TamasidamiennolanTheBigNoise 5 votes
    808 State
    4%
    silvine 1 vote
    The Chemical Brothers
    4%
    holton 1 vote
    Future Sound Of London
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭LunaC

Daft Punk
    Only into The Prodigy and Faithless from that list, Prodigy wins hands down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Prodigy head myself here :) Though Im going to see Faithless tomorrow should be the dogs bollix if the set at ****** 2004 is repeated :)

Never got Daft Punk myself always thought they were brutal but whatever floats boats.......

edit- lol, I didnt realise I had referred to a certain banned annual music event held in the summer, I see its auto blocked by the swear censor now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Basement Jaxx
    in that list orbital, but how the hell you didnt have kraftwerk in there ill never know

and depeche mode at a push (if you changed it to electronic band)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Basement Jaxx
    Helix wrote:
    in that list orbital, but how the hell you didnt have kraftwerk in there ill never know

and depeche mode at a push (if you changed it to electronic band)

I like both Kraftwerk and Depeche Mode but neither could really be considered to be a dance band whereas the ones ive included could.;)

Basement Jaxx
    how could kraftwerk not be considered a dance act? have you ever seen them live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Helix wrote:
    how could kraftwerk not be considered a dance act? have you ever seen them live?

I agree totally. Strange this thing of agreeing with you Pete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Daft Punk
    KevIRL wrote:
    I agree totally. Strange this thing of agreeing with you Pete.
    Yeah, I had that once... it was a very peculiar sensation...

as for the poll;
    Bassment Jaxx, Faithless and Underworld can be very hit and miss, a lot of their album material is pure filler.
    The Chems are similar to the above three, but definitely a cut above them thanks to their debut (exit planet dust) and last album (push the button)
    FSOL are up there due to the awesome My Kingdom EP, Accelerator and Papua New Guinnea.
    808 State are fairly good, can't say i've ever listened to an album of theirs though...
    The Orb - same as above

Which leaves me with Orbital, DP and Prodigy.
    DP will always hold a special place in my heart thanks to Homework (and to a lesser extent, Musique) but the number of weak tracks on their last 2 albums means they don't quite cut it. can't wait to see them live though :)
    One of my biggest regrets in life is never seeing Orbital live. Insides is easily one of my favourite albums of all time.

so i voted for Prodigy, they've been there since i first got into dance music, and i'm showing no signs of getting sick of them yet. just a shame that always outnumbered was a bit poo:(
    plus, they're the best live act i've ever seen...

/edit
    lol, looks like i went off on one there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Daft Punk
    Tha Gopher wrote:
    edit- lol, I didnt realise I had referred to a certain banned annual music event held in the summer, I see its auto blocked by the swear censor now :)

Gave The Prodigy (actually, just Prodigy) my vote, though I am as fond of Faithless as well.

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Daft Punk
    Seanie M wrote:
    I'm bemused, what event is that?

Gave The Prodigy (actually, just Prodigy) my vote, though I am as fond of Faithless as well.

Seanie.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054977367

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Underworld
    Lords Of Acid

• Advertisement

Daft Punk
    EDIT

Cant even be discussed Seanie M. Sorry.

Kev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭sideFX

Daft Punk
    Prodigy for me. Exact same reason as tman and i couldnt have put it better myself
    tman wrote:
    they've been there since i first got into dance music, and i'm showing no signs of getting sick of them yet. just a shame that always outnumbered was a bit poo:(
    plus, they're the best live act i've ever seen...

Basement Jaxx
    Helix wrote:

I have actually more of an 1980's electronic act id say,quality but not purely dance music..jaysus some people are never happy,who would you have suggested out of that lot i lkeave out in order to include Kraftwerk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭sideFX

Daft Punk
    jonny68 wrote:
    I have actually more of an 1980's electronic act id say,quality but not purely dance music..jaysus some people are never happy,who would you have suggested out of that lot i lkeave out in order to include Kraftwerk?
    Prodigy? :D

I have to say though when i first read it before seeing the choices i thought of Soundcrowd... what did ye make of them? I thought they were pretty good. I seen the Prodigy in the Point years ago when the stage was in the middle and K-Klass (who were class) were backing them up but i think soundcorwd did too, did they?

Basement Jaxx
    jonny68 wrote:

absolutely any of them

you couldve even done the poll with the options "kraftwerk" and "not kraftwerk"

also, theyre on the go since the late 60s, hardly an 80s act lol

Daft Punk
    Seanie M wrote:
    EDIT

Cant even be discussed Seanie M. Sorry.

Kev

Alright Kev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭holton

The Chemical Brothers
    It's 808 State for me. They'll always be remembered for classics such as Pacific, Cubik and In Yer Face. Decided to buy two of their older albums a few months ago and haven't been disappointed.

Saw Orbital years ago in The Point and was very impressed.

As for the rest, I'd go for Prodigy (older stuff) and The Orb, even if they were a bit weird!

What about Leftfield?! Their album Leftism is an absolute classic.

Basement Jaxx
    holton wrote:
    It's 808 State for me. They'll always be remembered for classics such as Pacific, Cubik and In Yer Face. Decided to buy two of their older albums a few months ago and haven't been disappointed.

Saw Orbital years ago in The Point and was very impressed.

As for the rest, I'd go for Prodigy (older stuff) and The Orb, even if they were a bit weird!

What about Leftfield?! Their album Leftism is an absolute classic.

I was gonna put in Leftfield in instead of Daft Punk as personally i think they are better(i think Daft Punk are overated) but you seen already some people moaning because certain other groups were not included and it only gives you 10 options so i picked the 10 i thought best represented dance music both past and present.

Personally i think the Prodigy thesedays are shi*e and i wouldn't go see them,first 2 albums particulary Experience was amazing but they are muppets up their own ar*es and are on record as H having been slagging the Rave scene,hypocrites it was the Rave scene that made them what they are now so ive no time for them thesedays.

808 State are amazing and very much underestimated as well,Basement Jaxx have been my favourite act in recent years but Orbital will always remain no 1;)

FSOL too are amazing not to mention The Orb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Faithless
    I would have voted for Royskoop if they made the list!

Fascist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Ravers Nature.

No many people know them.

• Advertisement

Basement Jaxx
    Andrewf20 wrote:
    Ravers Nature.

No many people know them.

Discogs is your friend ive heard of them before anyway ;)

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Raver%27s+Nature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

The Omission of Kraftwerk is unusual to say the least. They are in a class of their own. What they've done for electronic music, hell music in general, can never be overstated. The rest are apprentices trying to master the trade that Kraftwerk pioneered.

Advertisement