Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bushy - watch your stuff

Options
  • 16-08-2006 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

A mate of mine got his bag stolen from Bushy skatepark on the weekend, so keep an eye on your stuff when you're riding, or don't take anything valuable with you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I woulda thought that would be a given, in any situation.......

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

or dont skate it till your supposed to?

its not open righT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭JahEerie

Beks & da Bentforkers know its not open

Spoke to council yesterday & da local reisdents are not happy about the constant break-ins.
    As a result, expect to see beefed-up fencing &/or permanent security.
    Safety audit went well yesterday, so we're into da final stage.

Its hard to resist da temptation but unfortunately its da 'right' thing to do.
    For anybody out there involved in buildin other parks (Greystones/Gorey, etc)
    a word of advice:

BUILD PERMANENT FENCING FIRST!!!

Its only natural that people will wanna skate/ride as soon as possible,
    but unfortunately it risks da whole project.

I'm tired of sayin da same thing over & over'
    - a nicked bag could be da least of our worries.....

JohnBoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Beks

I just think the whole security being stepped up thing should have been done a LOT earlier. Even just better fencing prior to beginning to build the place would have helped. I don't get it. Why didn't they do the fencing first? Seems the most logical approach to things if they are worried about people breaking in, ruining things, having accidents and annoying the residents. Pretty dumb if you ask me. If that was sorted out ages ago things would be going fine now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mark Wojton

Have you ever tried to shoot concrete thru a fence??
    Building the fence first would have resulted in a shallower bowl and likely a smaller park.
    It's funny to hear people who are tresspassing on a jobsite complaining that there's not a good enough fence or security to keep them out. Take a little responsibility for your own actions. Essentially, I'm responsible for anyone on that site. I was reminded of that fact when Health and Safety tore me a new one the other day. If people could just respect a project under construction then maybe there would not even be a need for a permanent fence.
    I also find it humorous that the local residents are complaining about people using the park before it's open. Remember how much they hate all of us. I got along fine with the park ranger until he saw my skateboard. "You're one of them!!"?? If Bushy runs smoothly, there will be more parks everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

JahEerie wrote:
    Spoke to council yesterday & da local reisdents are not happy about the constant break-ins.
    As a result, expect to see beefed-up fencing &/or permanent security.
    Safety audit went well yesterday, so we're into da final stage.

Funny, i was speaking to a load of the locals over the weekend (never mind everyone i meet in bushy on a daily basis), and they all think its a shame that the park isnt open by this stage.

If they are not happy about the break ins, they should be informed that the park not being open is down to the politicians/tds/what ever being on holliday, not so much the insurance issues that keep being brought up.

Im sick of people pointing their finger at 'youths breaking into the park'. Point it at the bloody people who are holding the opening back to when they get off of their 6 month holliday. When they get back to their newspaper pictures of them cutting a ribben and shaking hands with someone - the weather wont be skateable. So these people breaking in are only making use of the fascilities while they can. I was totally agaisnt the break-ins while the park was being built, at this stage imo its an utter sham. The park is built, from day one we knew there was going to be fencing/security/a charge into the park. All these people saying that 'because of the break-ins we have to put up fencing', your only kidding yourselves.

As far as us moving onto 'the last stage of the skatepark'. Wasnt that a week or two ago with this post?

granted i dont know the nitty gritty details, but the council and the residents need to be addressed seperatly. Everyone that i have talked to about the skatepark says its a shame its not open, and they dont blame the skaters/skateboarder/bmxers for breaking in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭f

i said this ages ago, ha, exact same happened at lucan cept its been done for a hell of a lot longer

For the record, I'm a proponent of unfenced skateparks. For legal purposes, a fence is necessary. It will be up as fast as possible. A temporary fence is due to the break ins. Not that it takes much energy. I've seen people climb the 4 meter gate with little trouble.
    Most of the local residents seem happy with the park. Unfortunately, those that have been against the park from the start are vocal and willing to spend money to make life difficult for the skaters. I've had them tell me to go to hell. I've also had many thanks from those that appreciate the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

You did a great job at building the skatepark.I hope to visit it as soon as it opens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

Yeah i'll keep my stuff in the car!!!!!

• Advertisement

does anyone have some decent pics of the completed park? like the "street" section nd stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

DSCN0617.jpg

DSCN0616.jpg

DSCN0604.jpg

theres another 2 block with the handrail from ramp n rail. and some banks over the other side... was just there for a quick look 2 see what it was like... theres some idiots on mountain bikes flying around it and lettin the bike pegs and stuff slam into the concret.. i can see them rippin big chips out of it before we will even get to skate it properly.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Thats why I dont like bykes in the concrete park, I know htey rallied for it too and are entitled to it so Im not saying dont let them in, I respect them, just wish it didnt destroy the crete. Also we should tell people not to use wax in the park yet, it doesnt need it.

any chance you could get a pic of the 2 block , thats pretty cool th way they got the rail from r+r

Wax is for people that don't know how to go fast. If you want to grind more coping (bladers,bikers and skaters)...use more speed. Nothing comes easy in this world. Coping that looks like deck of a surfboard is lame and unsafe to many skate park users. Also, those rare days when the sun is out, it melts onto the transitions. You can see all the black spots at Bushy from this happening already. Eventually you will slip out unexpectedly riding anywhere in the bowl. A good friend of mine destroyed his ankle and was unable to walk for months due to waxed coping. If you blade, try waxing you skates instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭skate4evr

hey! has anyone got anymore pictures of the skatepark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭asto

Yeah, Bladers(rollers) Do what I do, Wax your souls and h-block before you leave your house, its easier, and also saves alot more time!

Wax is for people that don't know how to go fast. If you want to grind more coping (bladers,bikers and skaters)...use more speed. Nothing comes easy in this world. Coping that looks like deck of a surfboard is lame and unsafe to many skate park users. Also, those rare days when the sun is out, it melts onto the transitions. You can see all the black spots at Bushy from this happening already. Eventually you will slip out unexpectedly riding anywhere in the bowl. A good friend of mine destroyed his ankle and was unable to walk for months due to waxed coping. If you blade, try waxing you skates instead.

Youve got it right, the reason I said it doesnt need it yet was because the coping is perfect at the moment, maybe in a few years after its been used to death the coping will be almost impossible to gring, until then there is no need for the wax so keep it away!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭skate4evr

it the skatepark really opening tomorrow? thats what some of the workers were sayin...?

I would love to know if it was opening tommorow, Ive got my oldschool board setup now and waiting to go, also have the day off so it would be sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

No I'm sorry to say it's not, they're still waiting on the fence 2 weeks is what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

shagman wrote:
    No I'm sorry to say it's not, they're still waiting on the fence 2 weeks is what I heard.
    Yeah the security guard told me mid-September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Beks

So it's opening mid-September? I wish they'd set a definite date. It's quite annoying.

As for the "street" section, there doesn't seem to be much to it. Although I wasn't aware of the rail from ramp'n'rail being there? Might go have a look at it tonight as I'm passing. That, at least, is a good street addition. Hardly a "handrail" though is it, lol, whoever called it a handrail must be a midget or something!

Ok I was there at lunch time today and was talking to the security guard and he says it's definitely opening next week! He's not sure exactly what day though.

but I seriously doubt it.
    Fencing hasn't started yet (as of yesterday evenin) & its supposed to take 2 weeks or so.

I've asked Sean at DCC if there's a confirmed date
    - when he gets back to me I'll let yez know.

At least Lucan is gettin sorted (lights goin in this week)

JohnBoy

JahEerie wrote:
    but I seriously doubt it.
    Fencing hasn't started yet (as of yesterday evenin) & its supposed to take 2 weeks or so.

I've asked Sean at DCC if there's a confirmed date
    - when he gets back to me I'll let yez know.

At least Lucan is gettin sorted (lights goin in this week)

JohnBoy
    how to you know? the graff wall was supposed to go in like 2 weeks ago.

Fencing starts tomorrow, but it will take 2 - 3 weeks to get that finished.
    The council are keen to get it open too but have had hold-ups with the fencing contract.

Another bit of news:
    There won't be any charge to use the park
    - there had been talk of a small fee but the council want to encourage as much use as possible so they're waiving that.

Don't know anythin bout the graffiti wall, but bein honest I'd prefer if there wasn't one.
    Even my graf friends reckon it will encourage 'unauthorised' graffiti
    - somethin that the local residents will get pissed off about.
    Anyway, thats another days work

JohnBoy

• Advertisement

JahEerie wrote:
    Another bit of news:
    There won't be any charge to use the park
    - there had been talk of a small fee but the council want to encourage as much use as possible so they're waiving that.

That's great, been wondering about that for a while.. however it does mean idiots saying ''ugh duuuude gimme a bleedin shot of yer board'' will be easily able to walk in, they wouldn't if there was a charge.

Advertisement