Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTV-Does anyone else hate it?

Options
  • 16-08-2006 1:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

Someone on the hip hop thread said that MTV does more harm to the production of good music than it does good. I wholeheartedly agree.

Not only that, I may like a song, and then I see the dumb video [somewhere else -like in a shop or waiting room I dont watch MTV at home] and then every time I hear the song I associate it with the dumb video and it robs me of a purely audial experience.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

MTV has been **** music wise for years. since they split up into the different regional varieties. they do though sometimes show something good, like a concert or something. personally i tend to avoid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I would be nice if they showed a couple of videos from time to time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You know, I've been known to watch a bit of MTV now and then. I used to love watching the Tom Green Show, Jackass, and some other shows of the like. It's always good for South Park too. What any of that has to do with music is beyond me though. I guess it's just not much of a music channel, is it?

Still though, doing more harm than good? I don't think so. I'm pretty sure the same companies making the garbage music pay MTV for airplay, and that's what's doing the harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Dont really watch it either myself, if im looking for music Id watch Q

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

MTV plays music now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Don't have Mtv (anymore). It used to be a load of tripe though, yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

MTV is now an oxymoron.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

MTV is just awful. Infact most of the.....wait...all of the music channels have steadily gotten worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Someone on the hip hop thread said that MTV does more harm to the production of good music than it does good. I wholeheartedly agree.

Not only that, I may like a song, and then I see the dumb video [somewhere else -like in a shop or waiting room I dont watch MTV at home] and then every time I hear the song I associate it with the dumb video and it robs me of a purely audial experience.

In fairness if you like a song and the artist or band have made a sh1te video its hardly MTVs fault. MTV is a brutal channel, you get the feeling its run by women in their 40s trying to be cool. All the American bolllix dating shows, Sweet 16, all the rest, utter cock.

Mind you, Sweet 16 is worth watching just for the laugh of seeing highly strung fat ugly girls struggling with their insecurities. Id love to be invited to one of these dry arse alcohol free themed partys, Id turn up with a gang of coke snorting pilled up dutch drinkin motherfcukers to make a scene.

An exception of this was the episode with the 3 gorgeous dark haired triplets turning 18. My god, fcuk a sweet 16, theyd have got a salty 16 from me :eek: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ray Cokes.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Since Channel 6 replaced MTV on NTL I haven't bothered tuning it again. What's the point?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

even mtv 2 has gone to the dogs... i used to remember regulary seeign atari teenage riot on it, now its all strokes and indie tripe

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

Yeah MTV really went downhill. Like another poster said, it is an oxymoron. Re-runs of the breakdown of Jessica Simpson's marraige is just shocking scheduling for a supposed music channel.

Radio can reclaim music now that music television has eaten itself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

MTV is rubbish,should be renamed Reality TV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

What's all this MTV doesn't play music bullsh*t? Don't you people ever watch TV at 5am? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hmm, MTV is quite bad. Channels start out good and turn bad. Look at scuzz, they used to play good music, now all they play is ****e.
    A new music channel will be made, more 'hardk0re' and it will be good. Like teh others, it will descend into trite tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

MTV used to be a great channel about 10 years ago, did alot for the music video and had lots of cool shows like beavis and butthead, daria and aeon flux.

Like most things that start off with a cool idea they give into whatever brings in the most money. MTV doesnt deserve the name music tv anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭matu

There are just to many Mtv channels now and the main one is just full of pointless crap these days, I haven't felt the need to watch it in months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Well it gave us Toby Amies , Beavis&Butthead and Jackass so that's something to be grateful for I guess. The rest well erm...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

remember p-rock...god that was great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Once Jackass finished and began showing on other channels the only reason for MTV's existence was gone. They stopped actually playing music a long time ago, now it's just utter ****e faux reality shows and husband/wife shows that no-one cares about. (Jessica Simpson, c'mon what the ****)

Anyone remember the good ole days where they had loads of good music shows? I remember one where you could vote in for the next song to be played, it was kind of a ___ vs ___ poll, and it was quite fun. Hosted by that Natalie whatever-her-name-is (the scottish one).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

carbonkid wrote:
    MTV used to be a great channel about 10 years ago, did alot for the music video and had lots of cool shows like beavis and butthead, daria and aeon flux.

Like most things that start off with a cool idea they give into whatever brings in the most money. MTV doesnt deserve the name music tv anymore.

I agree and also some very good live DJ type shows, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Finally! ...I've hated MTV for about a decade now. All channels with 'MTV' in the title are poor (MTV Base, MTV 2, MTV Dance, et cetera).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

MTV right now have a music show included with vj. havent seen that for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Does Eddie Temple Morris still have anything to do with MTV, or was it MTV Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Speakin of MTV and my favorutie programme Sweet 16 (Im a dirty old man you see) they were playing the new series back to back the other afternoon. At least 3 of the episodes concerned Hispanic girls who appear to live in mansions built on coke money. I swear to god, one of them, you shouldve seen her brothers and cousins, it was like The Sopranos en espanol :eek: Im fairly sure there was an Italian family on it once that stank of mobsterism.

We also have MTV to thank for turning Ozzy Osbournes wanky family into minor celebrities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 thebassman

MTV is awful awful tripe nowadays and is very much so an oxymoran. For those of us who remember it appearing here in the 80s, it was wall to wall music - no pimp-my-osbourne-here's-my-swimming-pool-and-house rubbish. MTV Unplugged. Bring it back!! Remember Bootleg MTV? Bring it back! Actually, please put the music back into MUSIC television! (hip hop muck doesn't count!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭holland501

Channel 6 actually have decent music on that text in for the next video type show .

They're good for showing decent up 'n' coming Irish bands aswell.

Good riddance to 'M'assively 'T'ripe-filled 'V'iewing forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

MTV is COOL. I watch it, therfore I am COOL. Being COOL means watchin "Pimp my Ride" and saying things like "Thats wack". I watch MTV for 6 hours a day and i know whats COOL. Me for example.

More rubbish than MTV is actually VH1. Its the Gayest channel on tv. I'm not homophobic or anything but all it is is a load of unfunny american "comedians" and and gay guys talking about how much Tom Cruise spends on his pants. "Cameron Diaz is so rich she washes her face with Evian water" !!!!! So what, its not that dear, i could do that.

• Advertisement

Although one could argue that "Pimp My Ride : UK" is one of the funniest (in the most pathetic way) examples of how bad TV in general and MTV (and it's evil spawn) have become.

Bring back Top of the Pops! :p

Advertisement