Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slow PC

• 16-08-2006 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

I have a fairly recent p.c. running Windows XP.

I've downloaded all the necessary updates after I erased my hard disk and reinstalled windows.

I still feel it could be running faster.

The programs like FREE-RAM-XP-PRO are ****e.

My question I suppose is what freeware programs would ye recommend to run to stop my p.c. being so slow.

Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

get CCleaner, it will clear out all those stuffy bits that slow down your pc. www.CCleaner.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

How "fairly decent" is your PC? A few system details would be good, amount of memory, cpu, motherboard, etc. Check msconfig.exe (Startup tab) for unwanted programs loading at startup for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Fruit1985

Ruu wrote:
    Check msconfig.exe (Startup tab) for unwanted programs loading at startup for a start.

I have that part of the operation under control, thanks.

I want like stuff to speed it up. tweaks and programs etc.

Ok how much RAM have you got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Fruit1985

256mb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

I do this to every PC I work on, you might have done it already.....

Right click "My Computer"->Properties->Advanced->Performance Options->Select "adjust for best performance"

Turns off all the fancy colours and sh1te that XP has on as default. You can manually select stuff from the list to re-enable if you need to.

PS not 100% sure if the above is correct (but it´s close) as the PC i am using at the mo is in spanish and I don´t speak a word :-)

I would consider a RAM upgrade. Stick in as much RAM as you can, Windows XP will gobble that 256 up fairly fast and no amount of software will fix that I'm afraid. You could try what esskay says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Yeah upgrade that RAM, even if you only add another 256mb you will notice a huge improvement!

Ram can be picked up for half nothing nowerdays, check out Memory-Configurator.com

also, make sure that you've got a reasonable amount of free space, just in case you're running out of virtual memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

if you just reinstalled from a clean partition theres very little you can do to speed it up.

Advertisement