Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cullen tells Gardai to take speed checks off good roads????

Options
  • 16-08-2006 7:47am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thought I was dreaming when I read this, but according to a report in one of the newspapers yesterday, Martin Cullen is supposed to have told gardai to take the speed checks off the motorways and dual carriageways and move them to the more dangerous secondary roads where the majority of accidents happen.

Does this mean, the government are finally starting to see sense??? :confused: :eek:

THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I won't believe it till I see it. Sounds like more electioneering tbh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I cant find a link to it anywhere so I must have been dreaming about that perfect world again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It's in this mornings Indo. Your not dreaming it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Would be much better if the Gardai actually understood the law and didn't ignore it themselves... Yesterday I spotted a Garda Transit van going on their usual food run to Subway just opposite Connolly station at 17.30 or so (I think that is rush hour?) and parking first in the Bus lane and then him having the "decency" to instead park it up on the path leaving little or no space for pedestrians to pass. This happens every single day I pass the place either one of the normal Garda fleet or a branch car park here in this way between the hours of 1700-1800, it's a disgrace that they block traffic and seem to be a pack of idiots who are either thick or above the law, I am tempted to get a camera and record the movements to post up on Youtube for all to see.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Bond-007 wrote:

I shall say it again so..

THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Holy crap. Martin Cullen in good idea shocker. Someone must have put something in his food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

Tomorrows headline will be that it was a staged press release and it is an extortion attempt by a criminal element.

He would never make a rational comment like this, would he?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bond-007 wrote:
    Don't forget that it was the indo that reported i - they may have been dreaming! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 speck

Its all true they've even started to implement it already, My husband passed by some on the back roads around kilbride tis morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

heres the relevant part of the article
    GARDAI have been ordered by the Government to stop concentrating speed traps on dual-carriageways and motorways.

Garda Commissioner Noel Conroy has been told the Government wants the speed checks located mainly on the country's back roads, single-lane main roads and other high-risk crash and accident locations.

The move, revealed yesterday, follows sustained criticism of gardai spending too much time on motorways and not putting enough resources to catch speeding drivers on the roads where most of the carnage is occuring.

Transport Minister Martin Cullen revealed he has told Mr Conroy speed checks on motorists must be concentrated on the dangerous blackspots and known high accident stretches.

"I've made it clear to the Garda Commissioner and the National Roads Authority that we want high visibility on the dangerous blackspots," he said.

"It is not good enough to employ all the resources on motorways and on the safer roads."

According to the minister, both the commissioner and the roads authority agreed with him on this.

Research has shown that motorways and modern dual-carriageways, which have no crossing traffic movements, are the safest here and abroad.

Mr Cullen said research here showed that these types of roads accounted for less than 2pc of deaths and injuries arising from crashes.

The minister also hit out at local authorities for not introducing special low-speed limits at vulnerable locations.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Thats it they have bought my vote :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Good plan but those fvcks still aren't getting my vote!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Is it April 1st or what? if they do this I'll cry with happiness.... lol

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thinking about it but the gardai tend to ignore the Minister for Justice so why would they listen to the Min. of Transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

How many times have officials promised this over the past few years? I lost count. Will believe it when I haven't seen a Gatso van / laser gun on any safe motorway / dual carriageway for 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

So who's going to start "speeding" on these roads now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

cormie wrote:
    So who's going to start "speeding" on these roads now?

YORE MA! :o

/me runs...

Yes its a good idea, maybe its only cause they are low on resources and this is there first plan of action on reducing costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭TimG

I've seen 'em twice on the M50 near sandyford in the last week, they have been shooting fish in a barrel at killmac alot lately also. Still no sign of them on the back roads after boy racers though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

This may be true.

Driving home last night, I didn't see any cop or coppette in the usual locations, i.e. outside Heuston in their white unmarked van, outside the Foxhunter on the Lucan Road or on the M4, but wait for it...............

I passed one standing miserably in the rain on a back road between Maynooth and Prosperous. I was doing 70kph on a 80kph road so I wasn't worried but I've often been passed by guys doing close to a ton on this narrow back road. If this policy remains, then christ almighty, but perhaps common sense has arrived in Ireland.

I wish....................:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Stephen wrote:
    Holy crap. Martin Cullen in good idea shocker. Someone must have put something in his food.

Yes it was all his idea, thats why he gets about €100K per annum. No one else ever thought of that, and it has not been brought uo time and time again in every road safety discussion throughout the media.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

/holds breath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭billsteersnose

The was a speed check this morning on the N11 just past Ashford. I was definitely doing 110-115 in a 100 zone but I didnt get pulled over. The guard wasnt even looking through the camera (?!). Do you reckon I can still get done for that? Dont they usually pull you over to give you a ticket on the spot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Stephen wrote:
    Holy crap. Martin Cullen in good idea shocker.
    Haha :D
    Wow though!
    Stephen wrote:
    Good plan but those fvcks still aren't getting my vote!
    Very much agree here too!

Hehe yeah, Prospect, I suppose that's why they get paid the big bucks what with the amazing insight they have. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

The was a speed check this morning on the N11 just past Ashford. I was definitely doing 110-115 in a 100 zone but I didnt get pulled over. The guard wasnt even looking through the camera (?!). Do you reckon I can still get done for that? Dont they usually pull you over to give you a ticket on the spot?

I could be wrong, but the Guard needs to pull yea over there and then to give yea a ticket.
    Try doing 100km or less in a 100km zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

That explains the tripod sticking out of my front grill ! thought it was a squirrel.
    oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

The was a speed check this morning on the N11 just past Ashford. I was definitely doing 110-115 in a 100 zone but I didnt get pulled over.
    Is this what was indicated on your car's speedo, or did you use gps equipment. Speedos generally overstate your speed by between 5 and 15 %

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Indo wrote:
    Mr Cullen said research here showed that these types of roads accounted for less than 2pc of deaths and injuries arising from crashes.
    Of course only 3% of speed checks are on these roads.

Speeding on a motorway is just as inappropriate as speeding on any other road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Victor wrote:
    Don't understand, is this a real figure or are you making a point with sarcasm? Genuinely don't understand btw.
    I think most people here would disagree with that. Speaking for myself anyway, I definitely would. Seems like a no brainer for me to argue that doing 140km/h on a clear motorway is of negligible risk when compared to doing 100km/h outside a school at 4pm on a weekday.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dsender

Victor wrote:

I disagree. Speeding on a back road is far more dangerous than speeding on a motorway.
    I think I know the point your making - speeding is still speeding hence it being outlawed and dangerous but there are better places to speed if you choose to do so.

^the word speeding is in there too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

IrishRover wrote:
    Don't understand, is this a real figure or are you making a point with sarcasm? Genuinely don't understand btw.
    See quote

http://www.garda.ie/angarda/press.html
    Garda enforcement activities are planned and targeted, not only in respect of types of vehicles but also at locations of highest risk / collision occurrence. In that regard some 2% of Garda enforcement activity takes place on motorway or dual-carriageways type roads, which accounts approximately 500 kms. Some 1% of fatalities occur on this type of road.
    I think most people here would disagree with that. Speaking for myself anyway, I definitely would. Seems like a no brainer for me to argue that doing 140km/h on a clear motorway is of negligible risk when compared to doing 100km/h outside a school at 4pm on a weekday.

Now lets be fair here, how about comparing:
    * 120km/h on a clear motorway (design speed 100km/h)
    * 120km/h on a clear road (design speed 100km/h)
    * 70km/h on a clear road (design speed 50km/h)
    * 70km/h on a clear road (design speed 50km/h) outside a school

I'm not sure if it is appropriate to carry out speed checks as such at a school. However, other measures should be done at schools.
    dsender wrote:
    I disagree. Speeding on a back road is far more dangerous than speeding on a motorway.
    It depends on the relavity of the speeding and the surrounds.
    I think I know the point your making - speeding is still speeding hence it being outlawed and dangerous but there are better places to speed if you choose to do so.
    Yes, speeding is speeding. Roads have a design speed and you shouldn't exceed it.

Advertisement