Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions please

Options
  • 16-08-2006 9:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

I've been reading all the posts regarding dual carriageways/motorways and the overtaking lanes.

If you were in a situation on a dual carriageway where there was a continuous white line and you were in the right-hand lane, would you move to the left lane if you were doing the limit and someone was tailgating you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I've never seen (or can't remember seeing) a continuous white line separating the two lanes of a dual carriageway.

But if there is such a thing, I guess it would be there for lane separation purposes and I would not cross.

That's what continuous white lines are there for ...to form a visible "barrier" that you are not supposed to cross.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is a continuous white line around interchanges IIRC. The law is that you cannot cross a white line but I find a little common sense does help.
    Someone who is flying up behind you can either wait if there is no safe place to move left or if there is then I may cross the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

peasant wrote:
    I've never seen (or can't remember seeing) a continuous white line separating the two lanes of a dual carriageway.

On the N7 during the roadworks sometimes the dotted white line was solid for a while. Also coming up to junctions as kbannon mentioned.

Usually though the solid white line does not continue for very long. If it does and it is safe to do so, you can move across even though you may not do it.

It is best to learn from what happened in such an instance and take action to avoid ending up in such a situation again. By keeping a good eye on your mirrors you can evaluate what sort of progress other cars are making behind, and take into account the style of driving that you are doing on the journey.

Similarly, keeping sufficient distance from the vehicles in front allows you to evaluate the road and traffic densities in front of you and you can position the car accordingly.

L.

Advertisement