Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being with a pet while he's put to sleep.

Options
  • 16-08-2006 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭

Bit of a sad post, but here goes.

A good few years ago, my first dog, Smokey (cross between a German shephard and a wire haired terrier) was suffering from cancer. Despite 3 operations, it couldnt be contained, and sadly, we had no choice but to put him to sleep.

This dog was fiercely loyal. While being really friendly to us, he was a scary viscious monster (typical guard dog) to anyone he didnt know.
    He was 13 when he finally died, and about the last year of his life was difficult for him, with his having no energy, and a lot of surgery to try and save him. When the vet came to administer the injection, he didnt react to the vet at all. We soothed him as best we could, and the dog just lay on the ground in front of the vet, looking at us, and took the injection. I'm 100% sure that he knew exactly what was happening, and had accepted it as the best thing that could be done for him, as it was ending his suffering.

Question is, have you ever been with a pet while it was put to sleep, and do you think they knew what was happening to them? I think the obvious sadness of everyone around would certainly be an indicator, but do you think they actually know that death is approaching?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Ive been through that twice and yes I believe that they all know that they are dying.

In two other separate incidences my 8 year old Westie died. She had heart failure. Four days before she died she went missing from the backgarden and we couldn't find her for hours. She had dug herself into the bushes and wouldn't come out. We got her out in the end but we all believe she wanted to go away and die alone to save us the upset :(

About 9 years ago our first westie died of cancer, it was a quick illness and she lay in her bed sedated (my mam wanted her to die at home) she wasn't in any pain. Anyways, like I said she was laying around, only lifting her head for food or water never leaving her bed. Then when she eventually died she jumped from her bed and ran out to us all sitting at the dinner table and died right there. We believe she knew and it was her way of saying goodbye.

Now I am going to go and bawl my eyes out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I lost one of my cats this day last week. I brought her to the vet with a leg injury after she was hit by a car and I went home to decide what was best for her.

An hour later I got a call from the Vet telling myself and my girlfriend to come up to the clinic as Polly was dying. We are only a 15 minute walk away and we both ran up the road, it was the longest 15 minutes ever. When we got there she had just died. The Vet told us that she had a chest injury aswell and there wouldn't have been anything he could do.

I would have loved to have been there when she passed away. Count yourself lucky that you were there with your pet. It helps alot with the greaving process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I've been through it three times and I have to say it was the worst/saddest thing I ever had to go through, especially when you have to make the decision. The last dog I had died in the vets when she was recovering from an operation and I really regret not being there for her then, she, like all the others were so loyal right up to the end. It makes me so sad just recalling these times.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Tiger Weenie

Hi

I just wanted to tell you that you could have been describing my story there. The exact same thing happened to me last October. I had a dog her name was Bonnie she got Cancer and had to put asleep as there was nothing esle could be done for her.Well she was normally a bit of a nervous dog that hated the Vet and was a bit wicked as a result.She was very sick the morning i brought her to the surgery and when she arrived her tail sarted to wag and she even let the nurse pat her. She never objected to the vet giving her the injection and i know it might be silly to say but i could see the look of gratitude on her face as she went asleep.
    It didn't maKe it any easier there and then on me but it did bring me comfort later as i knew in my heart that she knew what was going on and was grateful for my decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Our Doberman (see departed pets thread) was normally very healthy and active but suddenly one morning he did not want to move from the shed where he slept - this was very unlike him as he would usually run you down the minute you opened the door to get out quick.
    We took him to the vet and he gave him tablets - I had noticed a swelling on his neck which seemed to be getting bigger. He made a recovery for a time but then started to get bad again. The vet we were using did not seem to know what was wrong with him - or more likely did not have the heart to tell us it was cancer?

Eventually I brought him to another vet who straight away told me it was cancer and he had only a few weeks at best to live. It was a shock of course but I was a bit put out that our own vet did not tell us sooner. I had to bring him to the vet to get him put down. He always hated vets surgeries. I don't believe he knew he was going there to be put down when I took him there as he trusted me completely but just as the injection was administered he jumped up as if he just realised what was about to happen. It was a heart breaking experience and I was really cross with the vet as I had demanded he be put to sleep peacefully. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Weeshie

Hi everyone,
    All these stories are so heartbreaking, and I think we all have experienced something from each story. I'm a real doggie person, and everytime I've lost a pet, I promise myself that's it, that I'm never getting so attached again, but then a few months later, when the sadness has healed some bit, I'm back to house-training another puppy and it starts all over again! I had a King Charles for 8 yrs and loved him so much. My partner at the time worked all hours so puppy was always there for me. The last year of his life was tough as he developed a heart condition and had difficulty breathing. The day he died still stands out in my mind - the vet realised that there wasn't much left in him, and just sent him home to die. I think having to do this on my own was real tough, as ex partner was STILL working. Like the little Westie, my little fella wanted to find his own comfy spot too (behind the sofa) when he knew his time was near. I was inconsolable, and I'll never forget him.:(

Then last week, my Mum and Dad's dog had to be put to sleep after 16 and a half years with us - a grand old age. Poor thing had developed cancer in her eye and her heart was bad too. My parents were absolutely devastated, as were all the rest of us - she was one of the family, of course. So I really think it's just another one of those hard facts of life. But given the loyalty and love our pets have shown us throughout their lives, there's no question but that no-one, not even a dog, should die on their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

I put my cat to sleep a year and a half ago. She had cancer. She was 14. I don't think she knew though because she was very sick. She was very out of it looking. She was given the injection and kind of just fell onto the table. I was sitting there and her head landed on my hand. She just lay there with her eyes open while I petted her. It was so sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Archeron wrote:
    I'm 100% sure that he knew exactly what was happening, and had accepted it as the best thing that could be done for him, as it was ending his suffering. Question is, have you ever been with a pet while it was put to sleep, and do you think they knew what was happening to them? QUOTE]

Unfortunately, putting animals to sleep is part of working in an animal clinic. I find it is something you never really get used to. I am convinced they know exactly what lies ahead. Some give in and some are fighting to hold on to a life that often has no quality left. You were there when the dog was put to sleep and the dog was surrounded by loved ones when it happened and that´s a small comfort as many people and animals alike are not in a situation to say the same when their end comes.

It is always very sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Pink Bunny

I was with our family dog when he was put to sleep. He was in really bad shape and when he was given the injection he let out a big sigh of relief and the light in his eyes went out. It's one of the hardest things in the world to do but I'm glad I was there with him and I think he felt comfort knowing I was there and he wasn't alone.

Advertisement