Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book club in Greystones

Options
  • 16-08-2006 9:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,
    Does anyone know if there are any book clubs in Greystones ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

why don't we start one of our own? but maybe make the first book very short - i don't think i've been able to read more than 2 pages consecutively since i had the nipper last october!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

Greystones Library have a book club.Call in for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

Bettyboop wrote:
    Greystones Library have a book club.Call in for more info.
    2nd wednesday of every month at 11am;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wicklow2

..in work during the day so the book club in the library in the morning doesn't suit - if anyone knows of any in the evening that would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Don't know of any but would be interested in joining one. Keep putting off starting a book, like neets I'm very busy with the nippers! Definitely will make the effort though if there is a club around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

i might know someone who would be interested so would it be an idea to print this page link with a short message to get your group off theh ground and post it in super quinn and the others.

just a thought if some one wants to organise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wicklow2

sounds great if we could organise something - I would definetly be interested in getting involved

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aleks2008

Hi is the book club in Charlesland still going? I would be interested in joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Aleks2008 wrote: »
    Hi is the book club in Charlesland still going? I would be interested in joining.

Was there one in Charlesland?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

There is one in Mrs Rs once a month. Starting back up in September. It's good fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Aleks2008

audreyp wrote: »
    There is one in Mrs Rs once a month. Starting back up in September. It's good fun!

Great thanks. Would you have more details?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Its organised by the bar Mrs Robinsons in Greystones. We meet the last Wednesday of the Month. If you like their FB page there will be some details. Or email info[at]mrsrobinson.ie
    The book that we are going to discuss in September is Gone Girl, so if you want to read it and come along to the next one. Everyone is welcome.
    Mrs Rs provide free food and some special drinks prices too. It's good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

When the Mrs R club started up, the ads for it sounded like it was to be a women only group - did I pick that up wrong?

When the Mrs R club started up, the ads for it sounded like it was to be a women only group - did I pick that up wrong?

I'm fairly sure it was advertised women only

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

That's me out so unless there's been a change.

Anyone know about others in the area? I think there's one in the Library... anyone go to that or know what it's like?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

Can you just IMAGINE the furore if a guy advertised for a "Men Only" Book Club! They'd be rioting in the streets.... suffragettes throwing themselves under cars outside Supervalue - or tweeting angrily, depending on the weather.

Not sure why a book-club of all things should be women only... are there arm-wrestling contests before each review? Naked book reviews? Or maybe it's a clandestine Ann Summers Party.... or a lesbian vampire cult? :eek:

Can you just IMAGINE the furore if a guy advertised for a "Men Only" Book Club! They'd be rioting in the streets.... suffragettes throwing themselves under cars outside Supervalue - or tweeting angrily, depending on the weather.

Not sure why a book-club of all things should be women only... are there arm-wrestling contests before each review? Naked book reviews? Or maybe it's a clandestine Ann Summers Party.... or a lesbian vampire cult? :eek:

Or maybe it's just a book club and your imaginative conspiracies are just that.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

I have to admit a "woman only" book club would put me off. It's just unnecessary. But then I am still sulking at not being allowed to join the Men's Shed. :P

We should start a boardsies one ... can you imagine ?!!! With some of the characters on here it would be like The League of Gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

IBut then I am still suking at not being allowed to join the Men's Shed. :P

I'm holding a placard outside CURVES as we speak ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Spongebopp

there is one in Mrs Robinsons, last wednesday of every month. But if you start one in Charlesland I am interested, so keep me posted!

• Advertisement
Advertisement