Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

our (nearly finished) Project '98 2.0 subaru Impreza Sportswagon

Options
  • 16-08-2006 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭

me and my flatmate started this project ofrf last year, and are slowly coming to the end of it.

some pics

we still need to get some touch up paint work done, and also due to a Car wash ripping one of the rear spoilers off at the top, we will have that replaced soon, too.

the interior will only be changed slightly yet, bringing a bit more red colour into the front console.

opinions please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

comming on nicely. a nice set of black alloys and it will look the badgers nadgers !

good work

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

sorry i dont like it.

Lexus lights look crap, even on a lexus.
    Whats with the metal car matts, they suck
    Decals arent nice

and if u have any regard for it why put it thro a carwash

basis of a nice car but looks tacky at the moment

sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

thanks for the Feedback guys

@anti, are thinking of doing just that, just not sure if it will go red or black, we'll see

@Cyrus, thanks for the honest feedback.
    tbh, the car looks much better with the lexus style lighting than with the original, will be changing the front spotlights yet as well.
    Metal car mats, welll what can I say, not everybodies taste.

would appreciate if you could give some suggestions on what you woudl change on it.

the carwash thing happened very shortly after we got the car, it was through two car washes previously without any problems, the one it happened on was at an Esso station, and believe me, since that happened it is only been hand washed.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i agree everyones taste is different, however i really do think lexus lights and decals are pure tack, you normally see them on tarted up micras and the like

not a proper performance car which is what you guys have.

I would have a look for different bacl lights there must be other alternatives? something with an oem look just without the orange or something like that.

Get rid of decals, give it a drop on good suspension and get some nice dark rims, maybe something with a dish? i would only change the front lights for something with a dark tint maybe? and again dont go overboard on the interior

good luck :)

thanks for that cyrus, the vinyls are staying, but might go the direction with the dark lights at the front.

can tell you it is a b!tch to get good rear lights fo rthis car, and they were the best ones we could find, personally really like them.

we are not going overboard with the interior, but as it looks at the moment, I personally think it needs to change, just a few little things.

not goign to lower the car, as it is too much of a risk with the dublin roads, allthough we have found that that drive over 100mp/h you 'fly' over potholes ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭[V3]

Nice, hey as long as you're happy with it :)

BTW, where did you get the dragon thing done and how much did it set you back?

thanks V3,

we did the dragon vinyls ourselves, took about an hour and a half per side.

was actually two sets of dragons per side, but we decided just to change some of the black dragon bits with red ones.

the vinyls are really high quality and a set (one two motives, one for each side) cost about 50 Euros, we got two, red and black. So as the labour was our own, we got it done for 100 Euros

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

As said the lexus lights and dragons do nothing for the car,The lights arent the worst but if anything the dragons make it look tacky and cheesy but its horses for courses!

If you want to go down the performance/jap style route id be looking at lightweight wheels in black www.rotarims.ie

Likewise a 35mm suspension drop isnt going to kill you on daily driver,it'l sit abit lower and youl notice better handling straight away

Subaru engines arent my strong point but what boost do they run as standard?1.3psi just seems slightly high considering there's not many mod's engine wise but i could be wrong

thanks for the feedback eiral.

we will be getting new rims for it, probably in the next months, thanks for the link btw, do you know roughly what price range they go around?

afaik the standard boost pressure of the subaru in that series is 0.8 psi.
    we easily managed to et the car running with 1.5 psi, however as soon as the turbo went on, it felt like you had just been kicked in the chest by a bull.

1.3 seems to be ideal, we got it superchipped as well, and the tunig was setup for that pressure, no problems at all.

the lowering is something I might look into, however, the car is extremely close to the ground, think it just looks high on those pics, will measure it out this weekend.

The vinyls are every person's own taste, we like them.
    will be looking into the idea of darkened spotlights for the fron as well.

thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Where was the car "superchipped" was it tuned on a rolling road?As i said Scooby engines wouldnt be my strongpoint but in terms of boost if it was just lashed up with an under the bonnet control valve id be expecting something internal to go badabang.

Prices on the wheels are

Without Tyres
    15 - €595
    16 - €695
    17- €795
    18- €925

With Tyres
    15 - €795
    16 - €995
    17 - €1150
    18 - €1350

With Toyo Proxies
    15 - €850
    16 - €1075
    17 - €1300
    18 - €1500

Your other option is to keep it sleeper looking,do nothing to the outside and concentrate on engine work

• Advertisement

cool, thanks for the info eireal,

was indeed superchipped on the road, it was with an authorised Superchip dealer close to Fairview, sorry can't remember the name.

the first tests also showed it would run on 1.5 without any problems, however as already mentioned it was too much power for the car (we managed to get all four wheels spinning from standing, didn't want to leave that much rubber on the road)

we have pretty much maxed out what we can do with the engine in it, and I think 280.4 bhp (tested in germany at a garage) is more than enough.

I am not goint to change anything else on the outside, the vinyls were somethingI wanted to do, but nothing else over the top.

I want to change the inside a bit, will be getting a new touchscreen display for it and will only add to red accents to it (around the air outlets) so nothing major.

will defo be looking into the wheels, do those prices include putting tyres on to them or is it the pure product cost?

thanks

gilgamesh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Modified cars are surposed to end up looking better then the original car.In the case of this Subaru the opposite is the case. In my opinion as it stands the car looks worse then if you had left it alone.

Most of the modifications are cheap and tacky looking. You have to spend more then €400 and a couple of hours sticking stickers on the side of a car to improve its oe apperance.

Its fair enough saying each to their own etc but seriously when people tell you it looks crap take it on board and maybe revise any future mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

This is a wind up right??

Major LOL !! I had to double check that this was posted in the MODIFIED Cars section :eek:

A €2.99 sticker plastered on the side of it that wouldnt look out of place on a '94 Micra and headlight brows ? WTF??

The poor car would have been better off if you left it in its original state.

Another addition to the nations skangermobiles, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

I dont know about it being a scanger mobile? but in my opinion you have made a nice car look a bit tacky. Pull off that awfull sticker and your almost back on track.

You seem to have spent money on your Ice and lights, I dont know if it's project car quality yet, but each to their own. Great machine though.

Good luck with it.

Oh one more thing, is it my eyes or did you use rusty screws on your turbo guage pod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

0-100 km/h < 5 sec

less than 5 seconds seems very optimistic tbh - take it on the rolling road to get your figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Just to avoid confusion, its 1.3 bar, as stated on your website, so 1.3 * 14.7 = 19.1 psi. 19.1 psi is a fair bit of boost, I don't think its a great idea to run that much with your standard top mounted intercooler, which is vulnerable to heatsoak. It looks like you've fitted a manual boost controller, which means that if your engine starts experiencing detonation, the boost won't be cut back. It might be an idea to consider uprating that intercooler to a front mount.

thanks for the feedback guys.

just for info, it produces 1.3 bar of pressure under max load in fifth gear, so it isn't really an issue as the Irish roads own't allow top speeds anyway.
    normally hovers around 1.1 to 1.2.

I was looking into getting it lowered and tbh, I tihnk you do need some comfort while driving, and there isn't much you could lower it by anyway, seems to be an illusion on the photos on how much clearance it actually has.

we are looking into the intercooler at the moment, and will be the next change, also I am considering getting a respray in the near future so the vinyls won't be on all the time anyway.

@Sizzler's comment, well, just not worth commenting on that statement, and they are not 2.99$ vinyls, and the picture doesn't actually do them just, but I am not going down that way, it is a matter of taste and as stated they are not permanent, and may be removed next year sometime.

Modified cars, don't mean that just their looks have to be changed, in my book it is what get's done to the engine and performance what makes a decent modified car.

ah well, let's see what we will do with the looks anyway.

am looking into complete resprays at the moment as well.

Gilgamesh wrote:
    @Sizzler's comment, well, just not worth commenting on that statement, and they are not 2.99$ vinyls, and the picture doesn't actually do them just, but I am not going down that way, it is a matter of taste and as stated they are not permanent, and may be removed next year sometime.

Modified cars, don't mean that just their looks have to be changed, in my book it is what get's done to the engine and performance what makes a decent modified car.

Defo a matter of taste, if you are a skanger then im sure the car looks great in your world.

2nd paragraph...at last...a semblance of common sense! Well then take some of your own advice and stop trying to make it look like your first car and skangerising it with tatty "modifcations".....headlight brows, stickers and lexus lights that are on every knackmobile going these days :o

Sizzler wrote:
    Defo a matter of taste, if you are a skanger then im sure the car looks great in your world.

2nd paragraph...at last...a semblance of common sense! Well then take some of your own advice and stop trying to make it look like your first car and skangerising it with tatty "modifcations".....headlight brows, stickers and lexus lights that are on every knackmobile going these days :o

Ahh we have a ranter....

Exactly why would a man who drives a Passat Tdi feel the need to tip toe over to the modified section. If not just to rag on at the young scallywags who drive unusual cars.

Its all a question of taste old man, your Tdi Passat lets us know you are not the expert on it at all. So keep your rants to yourself.

Chonker wrote:
    Ahh we have a ranter....

Exactly why would a man who drives a Passat Tdi feel the need to tip toe over to the modified section. If not just to rag on at the young scallywags who drive unusual cars.

Its all a question of taste old man, your Tdi Passat lets us know you are not the expert on it at all. So keep your rants to yourself.

PMSL !!

Old man?WTF? What age are the posters here 19?? You know fcuk all about me nor do you know what car(s) I have or my day job etc. So dont assume anything buddy.

Entitled to post here as much as your goodself :p

Since when is a scoby an 'unusual' car :confused:

• Advertisement

Sizzler wrote:
    PMSL !!

Old man?WTF? What age are the posters here 19?? You know fcuk all about me nor do you know what car(s) I have or my day job etc. So dont assume anything buddy.

Entitled to post here as much as your goodself :p

Since when is a scoby an 'unusual' car :confused:

Yet you know nothing about people who put lexus style lights or graphics on their cars, but you seem to know enough to call them all Skangers?

A modified scooby is unusual.

Post away mate. The op was looking for constructive comments not to hear that you think he is a skanger. If thats all you have to say then why say it what did you gain?

He asked for comments on his car, not him. Get back on topic

He did indeed, hence my comment "skangermobile".

Referring to the car, not specifically the driver.

To reitterate, the car is tacky looking but his engine mods are daycent :)

Sizzler wrote:
    He did indeed, hence my comment "skangermobile".

Referring to the car, not specifically the driver.

To reitterate, the car is tacky looking but his engine mods are daycent :)

Actually when you call somebodys car a scangermobile or people who put lexus lights on their cars skangers, surely your insulting the person not the car.

He just wants your thoughts on the mods he's done not your personal opinion of the people who drive them. I'm sure you can understand that.

I like what he's done to the car, (with the exception of the graphics) and really it's not a skangermobile...what ever thats supposed to be.

funny, I would have though a skanger woudl drive a skangermobile, so I coudl take the skanger part personal.

what the hell, I am not here to compare c0ck sizes with other people, I am looking for feedback, from people about what else to do with the car.

hell, if i wanted to compare body parts through a car, I woudl have ordered a Porsche carrera GT2 ages ago.

the car will look better in the long run, the vynils, I like, but they aren't permanent, it was a test and nothing more, and they are steying on for a while becaus eit cost money and time and will only be removed probably either when I get a complete respray of the car, or I woudl consider an airbrush job on it.

the engine is working perfectly with the modifications done, and we have tested it on different roads for peak acceleration and also speed, and it is taking the setting without a problem. we are also monitoring the engine with the PC which was built in, so if somethign comes up we will get a warning before soemthign bad happens

Chonker wrote:
    Actually when you call somebodys car a scangermobile or people who put lexus lights on their cars skangers, surely your insulting the person not the car.

He just wants your thoughts on the mods he's done not your personal opinion of the people who drive them. I'm sure you can understand that.

I like what he's done to the car, (with the exception of the graphics) and really it's not a skangermobile...what ever thats supposed to be.

Not neccessarily, what if his mum borrowed it to go the shops, is she a skanger by default? No.

If you are unsure as to what a skangermobile is you should educate yourself before trying to defend something you obviously know nothing about....

www.barryboys.co.uk

Sizzler wrote:
    Not neccessarily, what if his mum borrowed it to go the shops, is she a skanger by default? No.

If you are unsure as to what a skangermobile is you should educate yourself before trying to defend something you obviously know nothing about....

www.barryboys.co.uk

Maybe I should.. But let me try get my head around your version. Its his car so he is one yet if his mum borrows it she is not one?

I still dont get it when you say your not name calling exactly what are you doing.

I still wouldnt say the owners are skangers simply because they have made their cars tacky. Skanger In my mind steals cars other sh*t like that they are usually not found waxing and caring for cars I dont think guys like that are skangers.

But thats just my take on the word. Im sure your right.

www.barryboys.co.uk Thanks for the link though Sizzles, Now those guys would come close.

Chonker wrote:
    I still wouldnt say the owners are skangers simply because they have made their cars tacky. Skanger In my mind steals cars other sh*t like that they are usually not found waxing and caring for cars I dont think guys like that are skangers.

Thats certainly one way of describing them, but also the type of clowns who drive around in shi1tbox "souped up" micras/corsas/starlets are also well and truly full signed up members of the skanger club;)

Each to their own! Sizzler

I dont think your 100% wrong, but I think you are re this scooby.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Quieten down at the back! Get this thread on topic or let it die.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Enough about skangers, etc.
    Back on topic folks - opinions of Gilgamesh's motor!

Advertisement