Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shot at dawn campaign

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Mr Browne's announcement came hours after the family of Private Harry Farr, who was shot for cowardice during the conflict aged just 25, revealed that he was to be pardoned.

I understand that it's war, and in war discipline is important. But being shot for cowardice, such a human emotion as fear, is inexcusable.

It is the government who should be asking for a pardon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I wonder if it has anything to do with a general election looming in Britain rather correcting an historical crime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Possibly, it certainly won't do the government any harm.

It's hard to understand why these pardons weren't allowed years ago under previous administrations... a sign that international arms races, rivalries and violent nationalism, as we saw in WWI, are now scoffed at? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

boneless wrote:
    I wonder if it has anything to do with a general election looming in Britain rather correcting an historical crime?
    What general election looming in Britain? They had a GE last year. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/vote_2005/default.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭The Long Fellow

I cant imagine the electorate in either island being overly concerned with this when compared to other problems. it's good that it has happened at last but what exactly will it mean now for the families?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Victor wrote:
    What general election looming in Britain? They had a GE last year. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/vote_2005/default.stm

Sorry... meant Labour leadership election/fistfight :) I get confused as I grow old...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I cant imagine the electorate in either island being overly concerned with this when compared to other problems. it's good that it has happened at last but what exactly will it mean now for the families?
    I'm not sure if its necessarily about the families, I doubt if many of the direct relations are still alive (few of these men would have had children).

Its more about a government and an army apologising for what they did to the men, the offences they were executed for were abolished in 1930. An apology would have been appropriate then.

It also helps things in light of the centenary of both WWI and 1916.

Advertisement