Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving while using a mobile phone!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

They are the same link.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I think Ive actually seen more people using mobile phones while driving lately.. :rolleyes:

I really feel like rolling down the window when sitting in traffic and seeing some gimp who's using a phone while driving and abusing the hell out of them.. :mad:

The one time I would use a mobile whiel driving would be the time a garda would spot me.. :rolleyes:

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 macdragon76

Yes, this here:

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/campaign.../switch-off.mpg

Edit:
    same again, this URL will not paste properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Edit:
    same again, this URL will not paste properly.

Mine does work properly ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Maybe I'm alone.. but I think smoking while driving is far more dangerous.

Phone drops on your lap.. do you care? Cigarette drops on your lap.. aren't you going to do everything to try and stop is burning your balls?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

There was a very interesting clip on the BBC programme on "the Human Mind" last christmas.

They wired up a police driver with a camera that detected where his eyes were looking while he drove the car at speed weaving through cones.

They mapped this to a red dot on the screen to show where it was he was looking.
    It alternated between the current gap that he was going through, to the next cone and back again, as you would predict.

Next they repeated the test but this time he was instructed to count down from 1000 subtracting 13 each time, and saying the answer out loud each time.

The red dot started out ok, but each time that he had to "think" his eyes went up, off the road and off the next cone. The result was wider turns and eventually missing a turn.

What this demonstrated is the impact that external thought has on concentration. They stated next that the exact same thing happens with a mobile phone call, mainly because the person on the other end of the phone is not aware of the surroundings of the driver.

If a passenger and driver are talking, the driver can easily stop talking and divert their attention to something more importand and the passenger will be aware of this. Not so on a mobile.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Big Balls wrote:
    Maybe I'm alone.. but I think smoking while driving is far more dangerous.

Phone drops on your lap.. do you care? Cigarette drops on your lap.. aren't you going to do everything to try and stop is burning your balls?? :p

Very good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

They really should ban smoking while driving. It's a complex series of moves, - light it , smoke it, tap the ash etc etc

Also the dirty bas*ards then more often than not drop the butt out the window.
    Besides, it might increase my chances of someday buying a secondhand car with aclean headlining and which diesn't smell like a British pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Smoking in company cars/vans is illegal under the same laws that gave us smoke free pubs, IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

overdriver wrote:
    They really should ban smoking while driving. It's a complex series of moves, - light it , smoke it, tap the ash etc etc

Also the dirty bas*ards then more often than not drop the butt out the window.
    Besides, it might increase my chances of someday buying a secondhand car with aclean headlining and which diesn't smell like a British pub.

Sorry to go off topic, but did anyone see that documentary on RTE the ohter night about the Mt Blanc tunnel fire that killed 38 people? They reckon a discared cigarette went into the air filter of the truck causing the engine to catch fire and make on of the worst tunnel disasters ever. People really should pay attention to where they're flicking lighting butts.

Advertisement