Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Noisey windscreen wipers

Options
  • 16-08-2006 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭

'Da missus' drives an Opel Zafira and we recently changed the windscreen wipers cause the old ones were were very noisey when turned during light rain. The new ones are the same!:confused: Are there any wiper refills out there which are guranteed to run quiet? Thanks folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I had the same problem and always purchased bosch ones which are supposed to be the best.They were ok for maybe a week and then back to squeeking! I then bought a set from a a main adealer and they are perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You might also want to see if the problem is actually caused by a build up of crap on the windscreen. Get a good windscreen cleaner, I use one made by Rain-X, but I'm not sure if it's still available, and give the whole screen a thorough cleaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

You could also try using "Autoglym Glass Cleaner" (available from most car shops) on the windscreen and the blades themselves.

A lot of muck gets thrown up from the road surface onto the windscreen and sticks there despite any attempts by the windscreen washer and wipers to remove it. Insect residue, tar, bird ****, oil etc is next to impossible to remove by the wipers alone. I use the stuff recommended above to clean the windscreen once a week. Even after washing the car and wiping down the windows with a chamois, you'd be surprised at the amount of gunk left over on the windscreen that the Autoglym cleaner then removes. Don't forget to use it on the wipers also as it not only cleans them, but also lubricates the rubber and stops the wipers squeaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It's usually not the actual rubber wiper blade that is the problem, but the alignment of the arm.

Too little pressure, too much pressure, wrong angle.

Start off with cleaning and oiling the spring and hinge on the arm, that should get the pressure right. Make sure that the blade holder sits snugly in its fixing and doesn't twist (might require some tightening), that should take care of the angle.

Also the little hinges on the holder should work freely to allow the blade to change shape and fit tightly to the glass.

Lastly the whole arm could be twisted ...but you could spend hours twisting it every which way and still not get it right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

degsie wrote:
    'Da missus' drives an Opel Zafira and we recently changed the windscreen wipers cause the old ones were were very noisey when turned during light rain. The new ones are the same!:confused: Are there any wiper refills out there which are guranteed to run quiet? Thanks folks.

Get the proper refills or blades from an Opel dealer and you'll have silence for a while at least. It's caused by the rubber drying out and hardening which causes the hopping, scraping and squeaking you're talking about. The cheap ones from a motor factors are made from lower grade materials and don't last p!ssing time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Clean the wiper blades well, and give them a small rub of sandpaper. Make sure to clean them again after the sandpaper.

The noise is normally caused by crap stuck onto the rubber from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

For my sins, I too have a Zafira. The wiper blades are quite long due to the size of the windscreen. If a film of greasy scum builds up on the screen the wipers a prone to squealing - soon to be followed by 'juddering'. As others suggest, its a matter of giving both screen and blades a good clean and all should be well again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Poor a bottle of coke over the windscreen this will take a lot of the grime off it.
    Wipe it a few time with the wipers then wash it with water.

Brian
    DrivingInfo.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Tell her not to get the the 'wax' when putting the car through the carwash. The wax they use in some car washes can cause the wipers to behave like this, if she really wants the car waxed, just get the metal done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

oops... double post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

A drop of vineagar on the blades is also good for taking off the gunk

Advertisement