Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is the Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 any good?

Options
  • 16-08-2006 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Im looking to upgrade

wondering what is better for an upgrade : a Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 or X2 am2 based cpu??

and what mobo would be best for overclocking an X6800 ??

also when is dx10 based cards out?

so is the x6800 anygood?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Right atm the core 2 duo rang wipe the floor with the am2 platform.

The X6800 is a amazing chip, but the E6400 and E6600 models can be overclocked to faster speeds on air then the X6800 on stock.

The asus p5w dh is meant to be one of the best overclocking boards out of the limited range, and being asus its of good build quality ( i hope, as i have not recieved mine yet )

dx10 cards will be out in november iirc.

Also first/second quater of 2007 will introduce intels quad core cpus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

It will probably be on phasechange cooling so would the x6800 be better? I will be looking for an extreme overclock on it

i cant wait for the quad cores :D

The only overclocks ive seen on the X6800 were from custompc magazine. they managed 3.4ghz on air. But ive seen the E6600 on 3.8ghz with air too. So its tough to say. They are basicially the same chip. same core, same cache. If 3.8 is fine on air id love to see what phase changing will do with a watercooled northbridge and some exceptionally fast ram. can you say 6ghz per core !!!!!!

Things can only get better for intel atm cant they !

hard to say man, amd could come back with the quad core, we'll see
    but for now intel are doing well, i was very pleased with the 805 @ 3.9ghz tbh

id love to see osme decent place do some overclocking tests on the x6800 though

yeah same. results are like rocking horse **** atm

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

gline wrote:
    Im looking to upgrade

wondering what is better for an upgrade : a Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 or X2 am2 based cpu??

and what mobo would be best for overclocking an X6800 ??

also when is dx10 based cards out?

so is the x6800 anygood?

WHAT? Gline isnt "in the know":eek:

:D

I am thinking of getting a E6300 or a E6400, they are like Intel's 144 and 146, amazing price and overclockability.

I was looking at a ABIT AB9 pro it had lots of ram timing options like a DFI but it was reasonably priced....It has a nice chipset cooler too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

the ex has unli9mted mulity so i would say you would get a good bit better overclock. but all depends on how overclockable the chip you get is there all diffrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

One of these CPUs would go kickass with a Shuttle XPC, the SD31P in particular.

But it only has room for a single slot PCI Express graphics card, 7800GTX or 7900GTX? Or ATI equavalents?
    I think all the big super honking ones have big fans that take up another PCI slot and get in the way of the Shuttles inside bits.

What you guys think? :p

BopNiblets wrote:
    One of these CPUs would go kickass with a Shuttle XPC, the SD31P in particular.

But it only has room for a single slot PCI Express graphics card, 7800GTX or 7900GTX? Or ATI equavalents?
    I think all the big super honking ones have big fans that take up another PCI slot and get in the way of the Shuttles inside bits.

What you guys think? :p

WA ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Ummm... put the new Core 2 CPU thingy in the small case thingy...?

You know, with the building and the components and the stuff?

I'm saying you could have a good gaming system with a Core 2 Duo/Extreme and a smaller case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

gline wrote:
    It will probably be on phasechange cooling so would the x6800 be better? I will be looking for an extreme overclock on it

i cant wait for the quad cores :D

There are reports of insane OC's of over 5GHz going around online.. Its an amazing chip and a phasechange coolnig system is obviously going to offer you alot of options when OC'ing..

As a side note, the 3GHz Xeon's are based on the Conroe architecture but have a FSB of 1333MHz as oppossed to 1066MHz on the Core 2 Duo. I do not know what OC capabilities they have though.

wow 5ghz on phase would be nice, wat mobo would that be on?

have a look around here m8 there all crazy there with overclcoking and best records :D

awhir wrote:
    have a look around here m8 there all crazy there with overclcoking and best records :D

i hate those crappy forums, used to be on them, full of muppets ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Full of muppets, but one of the only places to get decent info about stuff...

Full of muppets, but one of the only places to get decent info about stuff...
    i dont know about DECENT info but certainly some of the cutting edge info

coolaler.com is better

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

gline wrote:
    i hate those crappy forums, used to be on them, full of muppets ;)

Lol, yeah. I'm a forum freak and even I got sick of xtremesystems. But they have great debates in the watercooling section, ones that used hydrodynamics and pure maths rather than complete fanboyism.

Edit: I think a post by wizzard lead me here.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

Gline, if your gonna sell that 805 rig, i might take it off your hands at the right price........Still really happy with the shuttle i got off you a few months back!

sarahn11 wrote:
    Gline, if your gonna sell that 805 rig, i might take it off your hands at the right price........Still really happy with the shuttle i got off you a few months back!

well il be selling most of it in 1-2months
    kepping some stuff though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

cool, well i wouldntneed all of it, so let me know!

sarahn11 wrote:
    cool, well i wouldntneed all of it, so let me know!

will do ;)

Advertisement