Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prediction On Point Increase/Decrease

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Smurphette

my course was 380 last year and has gone down every year since it started five years ago.

...i got 495 but i'm still worried! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I wonder how nursing will do, all the courses went up last year, wonder how they'll do on Monday.

One other thing, a lot of people are saying that the amount of fails in maths will change things up, so will the amount of fails in the sciences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

i heard the points for various courses in UCD are supposed to increase because more people were applying there because of the Horizons thing

Then again I could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 VeeGo

I dont know about trinity, but i think in general points you need for computing will go down, esspecially in IT's, because in all opendays that i went there were only few people there.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Smurphette

it's very hard to say.

I mean, there'll probably be an overall trend in lower points because there is less people applying for university now, but at the same time some courses will of course go up.

a lot of the time it's the luck of the draw, sadly. Even if you do well, and do your best, there might be more bastards above you pissing from on high on your parade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Engineering and IT courses will probably continue the trend of the past few years in decreasing. Courses like history and english will go up because people see security in jobs like teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Seems like I'm safe in IT then, I have 110 points to spare. €1.50 each... ;-)
    How about sciences? Doesn't apply to me, asking for somebody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

What about BESS in Trinity? I got 470, but last year the points were 470* (the * meaning random selection). Naturally, I have no clue wat this means so could someone please explain? And also, what are the odds of my getting a place based on the 470 points I got?

Help needed and appreciated, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

GDM wrote:
    You are still eligible for some courses such as law. I went to tcd.ie yesterday and I think I saw something about them accepting foundation level maths for matriculum unless a pass at pass is a specific requirement of the course then foundation may do.
    Oh not me, silly! :D I'm fully eligable to enter college as I got a B3 in Ordinary Maths and a C1 in Higher English. Yes. Trinity does accept Foundation Maths generally but it is unsacceptable for certain courses such as Maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Archimedes wrote:
    What about BESS in Trinity? I got 470, but last year the points were 470* (the * meaning random selection). Naturally, I have no clue wat this means so could someone please explain? And also, what are the odds of my getting a place based on the 470 points I got?

Help needed and appreciated, thanks.
    From what I know the * means "not everyone on these points were offered places". Maybe that implies random selection?

Do you have the CAO handbook? It explains well what random selection is. Basically each course goes in order of merit - that is, the highest score goes at the top of the list to the lowest at the bottom. Now, each course only has a certain number of spaces available so just say a particular course has 100 places and 150 people apply. The top 100 will be offered places. Near the end of the list, some people can have the same points. Say there are five people with 360 points but there are only three spaces left. Each is given a random number (like a lotto draw) and the three with the highest random numbers are offered places. That's how it works.

Don't worry though. Random selection doesn't occur too often. If usually occurs whenever there is a lot of people applying for a particular course and this year, it has been estimated that by adding up all the places from third level to PLC courses, there are much more places than the people who have applied. That's what I heard on the news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Evo

what happens if there less applying to the course than places available. eg, say theres 20 places offered on a course and theres only 10 people applying for it. What happens if say 5 only have the requirements/points for the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

Then those ten get the course, the college will reduce the amount of places available because there clearly isint enough demand.
    For ur 2nd Q,
    1. If only 5 ppl have the requirements(i.e. 3 honours, c3 in OLmaths etc..) then only 5 will do the course
    but
    2.the points are decided on the basis of the applicants. That is, the colleges looks at the points score of all the applicants and, if there are more applicants than places, the places are given to the best scoring applicants. The score of the person accepted on the course with the lowest points is the 'cut-off' points for the course and this is whats published in the papers etc..

Advertisement