Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel windows from the 1930s

Options
  • 16-08-2006 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

For information.

You know those beautiful old steel windows in 1930s and 1920s houses? Most people are replacing them with PVC double-glazed windows, thinking (as I did) that they were not replaceable or mendable.

But after many years of searching, I've found the company that actually made them since the 1880s, and is still in business in England, Crittall.

These are really nice people to deal with. They don't have an Irish agent at the moment, but they are endlessly helpful and kind.

So if you have those graceful windows, you don't have to change them - you can replace them with the same, or Crittall will advise you on renewing them and keeping them in order.

Their website is http://www.crittall-windows.com or .co.uk - both work; the .com one has a movie on how the windows are made.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,405 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

These have a place in alot of older homes. One worry with steel is poor U-Values. I had a look around the site. And i didn't see any reference to there being a thermal break in the steel in the description. The glazing used is "soft low E", and they have an argon or xenon fill. That would help the U-value alot. Normally companys like this make sure that the fact they can compete with standard windows is well displayed, but it took alot of rooting around before i could get quoted U-Values.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I don't know if my windows are U or non-U, as Nancy Mitford would have had it.

What are these U values?

U-Values are basicly a measure of how quickly heat flows through a material.
    The building regs control the limits on values for various areas such as walls, floor and windows. Everything has a U-Value, be it good or poor. Windows are a big area for heat loss, so its worth putting a bit of money into them as you will make it back on heating bills very quickly.

Well, I'm not going to change these beautiful old windows. But maybe when I'm getting new glass over the years I could replace it with U-er glass. What should I look for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

luckat wrote:
    Well, I'm not going to change these beautiful old windows. But maybe when I'm getting new glass over the years I could replace it with U-er glass. What should I look for?

double/triple glazed glass. Heat transfers through radiation, convection and conduction. double glazing reduces conduction, since you've two layers with some inert gas inbetween.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Never thought I'd see the day when those awful rusty steel windows would be back in fashion.

Beauty is in the eye of ......

PVC is kinda crap though, so you can understand why.

Carnivore wrote:
    double/triple glazed glass. Heat transfers through radiation, convection and conduction. double glazing reduces conduction, since you've two layers with some inert gas inbetween.
    If its new glass into older frames, triple probably wont fit.
    I'd go for double glazing with the widest cavity that will fit, inhert (xenon or argon) gas fill, and soft low-E coating on the panes.

Secondary double glazing could be an option

Mine aren't rusty - but they are beautiful. And they've lasted over 60 years; doubt the PVC ones will.

• Advertisement

PVC doesn't decay. Only damage due to breakage.
    New steel windows are coated with a sealing layer to keep the elements out

Mellor wrote:
    PVC doesn't decay. Only damage due to breakage.
    New steel windows are coated with a sealing layer to keep the elements out

PVC windows and doors twist up like mad. Freeze thaw actions has a huge affect on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

But how about good ol wooden windows to a modern spec for beauty ey?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

There were a lot of houses fitted with galvanised steel windows in the early 60's, the biggest problem of the day was painting them.

Double glazing wasn't thought of at the time so the rebates were for a single pane of glass, the same windows were fitted in houses that had asbestos gutters and downpipes.

The big selling point being low maintenance ;) now where have we heard that line before ? PVC windows facia, soffitt, gutters ?

All of the above are not designed to last PVC migrates and the product becomes brittle especially in strong sun light (U/V).

Some are better than others and will last longer, I have been in housing estates less than five years old where the facia was turning pink or yellow, so much long life products.

Quality wood will last, take a look at all the old buildings most now listed where the single glazed timber sashes and frames that were under constant attack from the weather outside and the condensation inside are still good today.

Maybe Crittal have a case, they are using powder coating and draught proofing the rebates, so they might be worth considering.

Advertisement