Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few beginner questions.

Options
  • 16-08-2006 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

So I'm interested in setting up a system with a view to getting the some football via ART or similar.

Funds unfortunately are limited at the mo.

However, I do have access, for free to a sky minidish and receiver, that are no longer in use.

Would these suffice for my uses? What other equipment might I need.

All comments greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Sky dish/receiver will be no use for getting satellites which show the soccer, as the sky box will only accept sky cards and dish would probably be too small to pick up the other satellites ( well if it did, the minute it rains you'd probably lose reception)

When you come into some money try digi sat online:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054881478

somebody else should be able to recommend a receiver for art etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    What other equipment might I need.

You need the following
    • pay TV receiver box approx €180
    • Conditional access module (cam) approx €70
    • dish 80cm €60
    • bracket €30
    • lnb €20
    • cable €10
    • ART card €150

thats over 500 to get started.
    you need somebody to set it all up too.

the Sky box and Sky dish are of no use if you want the football.

you can probably save some money by shopping online or on ebay.

if you bought a box with "Viaccess" encryption built in (embedded), then you won't need a cam (card reader device) and will save some money here. try Technomate or Humax brand.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Depending on what part of the country you are in a Sky Dish will do you fine. I am in Waterford city and have a Sky dish lined up at hotbird and am getting 78% signal on all Art sport channels. We had really heavy rain yesterday evening and the lowest the signal dropped to was 71%.

With regards to a receiver. You cant go past the TM-1500ci+. This is probably one of the most user friendly receivers on the market and you will not need an additional cam with it. There is plenty of software support for it also. If you are really interested PM me and I'll sort you out with a price for a receiver and a 12 month card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

i can recommend aquos76 to you m8,he sorted me out for the new footy season.
    i already had a system,but i decided to upgrade my system so i bought a technomate 1500ci and 12 mths art sports card,just waiting for saturday now m8.roll on the premiership.

Advertisement