Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selecting another BB provider

• 16-08-2006 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

I am currently living in the Turners Cross area of Cork city.

I have wireless broadband with Nova Networks. A 3mb up 3mb down line with a relatively open cap (no limit expressed) on it for €59 a month. I like Nova because they are relatively small and so are much easier to correspond with and they have a fairly open policy regarding downloading as long as you dont take the piss.

I am inquiring as to how good the competition is regards speed and pricing in comparison to my current provider., my requirements are somewhat specific however. The bill is split three ways which makes it easier to pay. I would be willing to spend up to €100~ a month. I have no interest in TV or phone (especially not the phone). Are 5mb+ lines with a somewhat respectable upload (minimum 2-3mb) available for that kind of money or am I wasting my time thinking about it?

Please edit/lock/delete/move as you see fit.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you will not get that 3mbit uplink , reliable or otherwise, at that price anywhere else so it you need 3Mbit up stay put.

for 3-6Mbit down (but only about about 512k up) you can consider Chorus cable BB and Digiweb metro for under €50 a month but both capped to some degree too .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Sponge Bob wrote:
    you will not get that 3mbit uplink , reliable or otherwise, at that price anywhere else so it you need 3Mbit up stay put.

I understand what your saying, I had a 4mb down 256k up before (Eircom, which was a disgrace). I have to admit that with Nova I do get 2mb up at least, which is damn impressive seeing as most providers completely screw you regarding the upload speed.

I dont need 3mb up being honest but I have to admit there is a massive difference between my connect and a friend who has 2mb down and 512k down, and that not because of the extra mb down imo.

We have a good deal currently and Nova are a great company but I was just shopping around and making sure that I'm not resting on my laurels when it comes to value.

Advertisement